Is taking finasteride worth it???

thiningattop

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Im a 23 year old male, with very thin hair everywhere. I was considering taking either Propecia or Proscar to see if that may help thicken me out, but after reading some of the messeges on the Shedding Shedding Shedding forum, im starting to doubt its effectiveness. It seems like everyone who takes it goes through a really bad shed, then sees some growth, but it never accumulates to what they once had. I know that shedding is natural, and its a sign that its working, but it seems like it just made things worse.

Are there people here that have any positive outcomes from using this? Anything convincing? Any before and after pictures to prove that this stuff is really worth the time and money?

I would hate to go through a bad shed, only to have a fraction of the hairs i shed grow back.

Thanks everyone!!!

Freestyle

Established Member
Reaction score
Ugh...

Don't listen to the fear-mongers on the Shedding Shedding Shedding forum. I feel really sorry for you if you decide not to go on Finasteride because of those jerks.

Read the two topics pinned up at the top of that forum...the one by Cassin and Shedding For Dummies.

The people who post those topics about Propecia not being effective are impatient assholes who are either right bang in the middle of a huge shed, or have finished a shed and expect their hair to grow back all of a sudden overnight.

It just doesn't work like that.

It does not make scientific sense that you would shed healthy hairs that don't grow back. Hair does not just fall out, never to return. It takes numerous cycles for it to thin, lose pigment and fall out forever. Each of these cycles take many months, meaning the whole process takes literally years.

The hair loss you first noticed may have seemed like it happened suddenly, but it too had been degrading gradually for years.

Finasteride is the best chance you have of keeping your hair, full stop.

Your choices:

Listen to Merck, the FDA and the trials performed and go on a drug that has a high success rate -- or listen to panic-ridden idiots on an internet forum and go bald.

It's up to you.

jfrank

Established Member
Reaction score
i have some beef with you Freestyle calling posters jerks/assholes.

I agree, that most people who post are unhappy about thier hair... so that is why you dont hear positive responses to finasteride.. finasteride does work, but not for everybody..

I have been on it for 10 months... lost completely healthy hairs started 2 weeks after first taking Propecia and am still waiting for regrowth.. (esp on the hairline, which i notice and is really bad, but used to be perfect)

finasteride is the best drug we have to fighting alopeecia.... It just works diffferently for different people... '

I next time you wanna make a stand Freestyle, do it somewhere else.... being only a junior poster.......

Freestyle

Established Member
Reaction score
Ha! You're a junior poster too! I didn't know there was a pissing contest hierarchy here.

You can argue me all you want, but you can't argue the science of hair cycles. Unless you've suffered some horrible event or you're undergoing some form of radiation therapy, healthy hair does not just fall out and not return.

If you've lost density and coverage, I would imagine that it's the loss of your less healthy hairs contributing to the overall appearance.

Propecia does not make hair loss worse. You'll either maintain, regrow or your hair loss will continue. And if your hair loss continues, it does so because it was going to anyway, and has nothing to do with Propecia accelerating the problem.

And if I got worked up more than I should have, it's because this is exactly what I predicted when Jeffsss and his idiot cronies went on their anti-Propecia posting spree -- that crap is actually influencing people's decisions on how to treat their hair loss. This topic right here is proof of that.

If you're offended by bad words, then I advise you to avoid my posts, because I swear like a sailor and there are bound to be more.

Thanks for posting though.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, freestyle. Vulgarity is welcome here if logical thinking is associated with it. Hell of a lot better than paranoia, terrible logic, and bad information saturated with a lack of expletives.

I am dying to know how above poster determined a healthy versus an unhealthy hair however. Did you use your electron microscope and DHT affliction gauge?

HairLossTalk.com

jfrank

Established Member
Reaction score
healthy hair = hair clealy not affect by hairloss.. thick hairs, long, colored

No one here is an expert... no one knows how propeica or how male pattern baldness progresses... we are all giving our experiences here..... take it for whats its worth..

Milks

Reaction score
thiningattop, propecia/finasteride will most likely maintain your existig hair. It probably wont give you anymore volume, but in five years time your hair will look the same rather than looking that much thinner.

The posts you'll find in this forum are, on one had good to find answers to find questions you may have, but on the other had bad, after all if finasteride is working for someone (i.e. their hair looks exactly the same) they are much less likely to post than if a person is six months in and still shedding and they are starting to panic

In my mind, I know I've been loosing my hair for at least eight years, so it doesn't make sense that any treatment I use should suddenly turn that around overnight, its going to take some considerable time.

Britannia

Reaction score
jfrank said:
healthy hair = hair clealy not affect by hairloss.. thick hairs, long, colored

No one here is an expert... no one knows how propeica or how male pattern baldness progresses... we are all giving our experiences here..... take it for whats its worth..

Im an expert. :hairy:
Most people on here will have done some RESEARCH and therefore know exactly how male pattern baldness progresses and Propecia work.