Is soy good or bad?

CCS

Reaction score

CCS

Reaction score
only 35% of people can make EQUOL from soy, but it definitely does handcuff DHT.

Even though soy has estrogen effects, they say it is an aromatase inhibater, and is linked to alzheimers and autoimmune thyroid conditions. It is benificial for the heart, though. but there is no optimal dose. All doses carry risks of problems.

I know that soy beans are unhealthy because they have so much phytic acid. but I thought the highly processed soy protein would be healthy.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
http://www.mercola.com/2001/jun/30/soy_fda.htm

look what they are saying about it.

I'm not sure about soy products and supplements, the jury's still out. Depends on how it's processed, and extracted, and the various components. But there's no question (in my mind) that Mercola is an idiot.

CCS

Reaction score
well, i just found out that most beans are about as healthy as soy, and have a similar amino acid profile. And as expensive as soy is, I'm just going to take 5g per day. Whoever said beef has more glutamine than beans is smoking something.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts

I don't trust their inflammation info, but they have a lot of dietary info.

CCS

Reaction score
I've been eating soy protein for arginine and glutamin. Grains like barley and oats have just as much, which is more than meat, per gram of protein. add a little corn or rice to make it more complete with the 8 essential amino acids. I think di-arginine is the only thing I'd like to supplement with. 2g per day should do it.

I'm not sure if I'll buy more soy protein after I use up what I have. I don't know if I'm one of the 35% that makes EQUOL, or how effective equol is at stopping DHT, compared to avodart's inhibition of its production.

CCS

Reaction score
It is hard to 25-30% of my calories from protein when most beans are about that, and I still have to eat fruit. Most grains and vegetables are about 10%, but fruit is about zero. Maybe I do have to eat meat or soy. or whey. 20% is easy to get. But if I want 30% protein for this diet, that is when I need the extra's. I think I only need an extra 25g, though, per day. I just need that for maybe 6 weeks, and then I won't need the supplements afterwards.

G

mercola is a nut. there's an ad on the front page warning of the dangers of aspartame. what a total nut.

bubka

Reaction score
JayMan said:
mercola is a nut. there's an ad on the front page warning of the dangers of aspartame. what a total nut.
thats all i needed, what a wacko

besides, the guy is bald, like a NW7, some splenda and soy would do him some good :lol:

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
bubka said:
JayMan said:

besides, the guy is bald, like a NW7, some splenda and soy would do him some good :lol:

Though you can't grow hair with your head stuck firmly up your ***. :cry: :lol:

CCS

Reaction score
is aspartame made from aspartic acid, the amino acid?

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
only 35% of people can make EQUOL from soy.

I've read that you can greatly improve your odds of being one of the 35% by doing a colon cleanse and supplementing with a lot of probiotics.

Though, scientists don't know which intestinal bacteria is responsible for converting soy into EQUOL. But a colon cleanse is definitely the 1st step. And supplemeting with probiotics is good for you anyway. http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/abstract/134/8/1998

If nothing else, you are probably a producer of O-desmethylangolensin (O-DMA). 80%–90% of people can produce O-DMA from soy. Increased O-DMA production may be responsible for decreased risk of breast & prostate cancer.

bubka

Reaction score
joseph49853 said:
bubka said:
JayMan said:

what the hell does that mean, are you are artificial sweater = poison wacko?

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
bubka said:
joseph49853 said:
bubka said:
JayMan said:

Bubka, do you even bother reading the posts to which you're responding? Or are you one of those prolific react on command sort of forum guys. I already made my position on Mercola perfectly clear.

And that you've asked, my position on aspartame is that there's not enough data. What does scare me is how aspartic acid could act to enhance the effects of potential toxicity. Personally, I'd rather stick with natural sweeteners like Stevia, derived from the sugarleaf plant, and avoid aspartame in general. Stevia also tastes ten times better than aspartame, and does not break down when cooked under high temperatures.

bubka

Reaction score
joseph49853 said:
bubka said:
joseph49853 said:
bubka said:
JayMan said:

Bubka, do you even bother reading the posts to which you're responding? Or are you one of those prolific react on command sort of forum guys. I already made my position on Mercola perfectly clear.

And that you've asked, my position on aspartame is that there's not enough data. What does scare me is how aspartic acid could act to enhance the effects of potential toxicity. Personally, I'd rather stick with natural sweeteners like Stevia, derived from the sugarleaf plant, and avoid aspartame in general. Stevia also tastes ten times better than aspartame, and does not break down when cooked under high temperatures.
was not trying to over react, though the tin foil aspartame hat wearers bother me, yes, cooking with it does suck, it will breakdown and taste like crap

CCS

Reaction score
Bubka,

Would you mind listing some of the main reasons why some people say artificial sweateners are poison, and then giving rebuttals for each? Thanks.

bubka

Reaction score
Bubka,

Would you mind listing some of the main reasons why some people say artificial sweateners are poison, and then giving rebuttals for each? Thanks.
oh boy, CCS is now telling ME to listen, debating that is pointless, like debating if we landed on the moon

CCS

Reaction score
I'm not debating. I'm asking.

CCS

Reaction score
I'm asking you to state and refute the most common arguments that aspartame is poisom. If you think everyone making that claim is stupid, then you must know their evidence and why it is not sufficient.

powersam

Reaction score
yeah i totally read that as ccs simply asking exactly what you thought about the whole issue and why (with details). seemed a very reasonably question to me...