Is shedding normal with dandruff shampoos?

mattg817

Reaction score
I have had seborrheic dermatitis since I was 16 (20 now) and I used to use Neutrogena T/Gel everyday. Last year when I was a freshman in college I noticed that I began to lose some hairs in the shower (not an incredible amount, but I had never noticed this before), so I cut down, and the shedding stopped but my scalp condition worsened. I stopped using T/gel, but now whenever I use the same dandruff shampoo for a few days straight (whether it be p. olamine, nizoral, or zinc) I see hair shedding. However, if I rotate two or more dandruff shampoos and use a regular shampoo in between, I see almost no shedding. For example, I'll use Nizoral one day, gentle shampoo the next, P. Olamine shampoo the next, then gentle shampoo, etc. the only reason I can't stick to this always is my scalp sometimes takes a turn for the worse. Does anyone have any clue what might be going on? Can rotating active ingredients decrease potential side effects such as shedding?

pinkfloyd7

Established Member
Reaction score
i've heard shedding is normal on nizoral but only mild sheds. never heard of big sheds.