Is shaving it all really that bad?

PappinAce

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
^Treatment isn't too expensive! You can get finasteride for less than $10 a month.

Also, be grateful that you got to enjoy your prime for that four years! Some people don't even have that. So keep the memories, value them, and move onto the more important things like building your career and your development as a person.

luis_scofield

Reaction score
Anyway i just came back from a derm visit, and it seems that im not actually balding. What i thought was a receding hairline that would eventually led me to baldness soon, seems to be just the way my hairline and head shape is actually. He says that not everyone are perfect norwood 0 and not all hairlines are the same, much less your average adult white male.Besides im almost 25 so maybe its just a mature hairline. Doctor says that i dont have signs of balding and that losing hairs per day is normal. Besides he says that i have plenty of hair in my crown.However he said that as a white, european and hairly male, quite possibly i will loose more hair in the future, without being all bald. That i will probably be naturally bald around 50 or 60 and that i should actually embrace it as my nature. But for now says i have no reason to worry at all, at least not within the next 5 or 10 years. However, he isnt against me using treatement for the sake of prevention, just to help me to be more relaxed.So it seems that im not balding, at least yet, none of my brothers are bald and they are older. And i was about to shave my head.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you not say your hairline was receding though?

Roox

Reaction score
It depends how you look, someone more muscular or fit would look much better bald than a guy who looks like Jabba the Hutt.

shookwun

Reaction score
Need to have a lean chiseled face

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
NWO? Luis you might want to get a second opinion before you take your Doctor's word at face value?

I am not so satisfied with his cavalier attitude. My intention is not to alarm you even more but from what you write his insight on male pattern baldness sounds rather flimsy and even patronizing (lip service). He probably thinks that he means well.

You need not be surprised about his lack of attention to your situation. male pattern baldness ignorance is still very rampant in the medical community ie: Like you, I had plenty of hair on my crown (and still) do, however my frontal area is obliterated.

When it comes to hair loss only trust your instincts and your eyes, not your ears.
Stay vigil, and don't wait because it may quickly progress. If you utilized this forum purely for the purpose of a sound board, then I hope you got what you were looking for and swiftly move on. Good Luck.

Anyway i just came back from a derm visit, and it seems that im not actually balding. What i thought was a receding hairline that would eventually led me to baldness soon, seems to be just the way my hairline and head shape is actually. He says that not everyone are perfect norwood 0 and not all hairlines are the same, much less your average adult white male.Besides im almost 25 so maybe its just a mature hairline. Doctor says that i dont have signs of balding and that losing hairs per day is normal. Besides he says that i have plenty of hair in my crown.However he said that as a white, european and hairly male, quite possibly i will loose more hair in the future, without being all bald. That i will probably be naturally bald around 50 or 60 and that i should actually embrace it as my nature. But for now says i have no reason to worry at all, at least not within the next 5 or 10 years. However, he isnt against me using treatement for the sake of prevention, just to help me to be more relaxed.So it seems that im not balding, at least yet, none of my brothers are bald and they are older. And i was about to shave my head.

luis_scofield

Reaction score
Well i thought it was receding quickly but comparing pics from march its actually pretty much the same. Sometimes our heads mess a little with our eyes and something that isnt that bad to people can look awfful to us.Two derms have told me i have nothing to worry, im just not going to visit all derms in town,However yeah, i will not take anything for granted and i will trust my instinct. It doesnt matter if god tells me im actually balding or im not, i will keep on treatment for the sake of prevention. Better to prevent that regret and im sure it wont hurt me.However, people in hair loss forums have to admit that the mature hairline is pretty much real. And that some men hair recede as they get older without going all bald. I do know men who have been norwood 1 or 2 for many, many years. It might be tendency to loose hair over the years, but it should take years. I mean this because some people are seriously insane about making theories of celebrities using rogaine or propecia, comparing pics as evidence who are either pretty much the same or just a different haircut.

djwilli3

Reaction score
looks

I think everyone thinks they would look extremely weird with a shaved head, but in reality most people pull it off well.

luis_scofield

Reaction score
Well my frontal scalp isnt even that bad and it havent changed at all since march.You know i apreciate all advises but i rather trust a dermatologist than a user in a forum. Two derms have told me that my hair is fine and that is all in my mind and that i shouldnt pay too much attention to what i read in the internet. People around me says that im fine too.You know, is not that im having a "yay im not balding cus the derm told me" or that im denial, but there is no actual evidence that im already balding. Also, you just have to admit and face the fact that some men hairline recedes as they get older, and it stays like that for many years. Just because some of you got worse doesnt mean that all will go bald. Besides i noticed how the 90% of my friends around my age have a slighty receded hairline. Are we all going bald? Besides my hair looks great for now imo.Anyway, stress also makes it worse. Thinking about balding all day most likely will improve hair loss.At this point i dont trust anyone else. For what it seems, i could visit 10 derms, 5 will tell me that im fine and the other 5 will say i have male pattern baldness. But much less i will not listen to norwood 6 creepos who tell me that it will get worse in a few months if i dont jump to propecia quickly.Anyway, i will trust my instinct and i will keep on rogaine for prevention, no propecia or any other bull****, besides i dont need it.

D.A.M.

Reaction score
Tim Howard is black. I'm not being racist, but black people don't look too bad bald....**** most look better than with hair. Unfortunately most white people don't look good bald, which sucks but it's the honest truth.

Charles1728

Reaction score
Tim Howard is black. I'm not being racist, but black people don't look too bad bald....**** most look better than with hair. Unfortunately most white people don't look good bald, which sucks but it's the honest truth.

I don't know if I would call Tim Howard black. After looking it up I found that he did have a black mother but I've always considered him to be white and I think most other people would as well. He definitely looks like a (tan) white guy to me.

And as far as being bald looking better on black people, I think it matters more on the specific person than the race, but I agree that the average black man seems to be able to pull it off better than the average white man. Might be because most black guys wear their hair pretty short to begin with, buzzed or around there, so it isn't as startling or different than normal. But I think it mainly just depends on the person.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know if I would call Tim Howard black. After looking it up I found that he did have a black mother but I've always considered him to be white and I think most other people would as well. He definitely looks like a (tan) white guy to me.

And as far as being bald looking better on black people, I think it matters more on the specific person than the race, but I agree that the average black man seems to be able to pull it off better than the average white man. Might be because most black guys wear their hair pretty short to begin with, buzzed or around there, so it isn't as startling or different than normal. But I think it mainly just depends on the person.

Tim Howard's father is African-American. He's mixed race. I think black people tend to look better bald/balding because with dark hair on dark skin there's less of a contrast, it's simply less noticeable and stark compared to a pale white guy with dark brown hair that is thinning/receding (yay me!).

winnyblues

Banned
Reaction score
Theres a big difference between being nw0 to nw2 and shaving it to a buzZ cut or a 0 guard cut than someone who has to shave their head with a razor because they are actually bald

One has the choice to shave his head and that is seen as bad ***, alpha while the other looks like a freak, old and most significantly unappealing to the opposite sex

DannyBoyy

Reaction score
You have a good mindset Charles, im the same (but dont worry fullstop, im just here to help) you shouldnt worry if you ever get dissed when your time comes thats just life, there is horrible people out there funny enough i got it worse from people when i HAD hair which is a different story all together lol, aslong as you are doing what you WANT to do and happy all what matters, ignore the haters you only have one life dont waste it.

One last note about the whole "getting big" thing reminds me of a problem i had when i had hair (about my hair funny enough) and "you cant win" kept coming to mind and hence why i didnt worry about it and why i dont worry about the point im about to make, but anyway i seen people here say society says skinny and bald makes some look like cancer, but yet say societys says im over compensating when i try to get big, does noone see the problem here?...if you want to get big aka fit then do it, cause whatever you do, in my case anyway im gonna be mocked anyway apprently, just do your thing and be happy, you cant make everyone happy and you shouldnt have too its your life not theirs.

Sherrilyn1967

Banned
Reaction score
No, it's not. Men with shaved off heads look very attractive. You don't need to have a supermodel facial structure - just be healthy and it will reflect outwardly.

shookwun

Reaction score
6779506-photo-male-portrait-close-up-on-white-backdrop-Stock-Photo-man-bald-face.jpg

In other words invisible to attractive women.

tumblr_n6exxz6CsH1s9rrcgo1_400.gif

DPAMan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Tim Howard's father is African-American. He's mixed race. I think black people tend to look better bald/balding because with dark hair on dark skin there's less of a contrast, it's simply less noticeable and stark compared to a pale white guy with dark brown hair that is thinning/receding (yay me!).

That's probably the reason more than anything; even then sometimes it can't make up for an ugly dome. My head shape is so off that people had compared it to The Pentagon whether I had hair or not. I actually shaved my head at 15 (prior to any signs or fear of male pattern baldness), and I am definitely an exception. :laugh: