Is scalp tension a factor in androgenetic alopecia?

Daniel_the_Hairy_Dutchman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello all,

How much is hair loss on the scalp influenced by scalp tension? I went to a dermatologist recently and he told me androgenetic alopecia is partly influenced by scalp tension, what does the science say?

Thank you.

LITUATUI

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, there is a connection.

Mechanistically, the scalp behaves like a drum skin with tensioning muscles around the periphery. These muscle groups — the frontalis, occipitalis, and periauricular muscles and to a minor degree the temporalis — can create a “tight” scalp when chronically active. Because the blood supply to the scalp enters through the periphery, a reduction in blood flow would be most apparent at the distal ends of the vessels, specifically, the vertex and frontal peaks. Areas of the scalp with sparse hair growth have been shown to be relatively hypoxic, have slow capillary refill, and to have high levels of dihydrotestosterone.

Conceptually, Botox “loosens” the scalp, reducing pressure on the perforating vasculature, thereby increasing blood flow and oxygen concentration. The enzymatic conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone is oxygen dependent. In low-oxygen environments, the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone is favored; whereas in high-oxygen environments, more testosterone is converted to estradiol. Blood flow may therefore be a primary determinant in follicular health. Strategically placed Botox injections appear able to indirectly modify this variable, resulting in reduced hair loss and new hair growth in some men with androgenetic alopecia.

https://aicepola.com/#causes