Is scalp itch always bad?

oye_rg

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have been on the big 3 (min5%, finasteride 1.25 and keto) for 7 months now and have decent progress.
3 weeka ago I added dutasteride 0.5 once a week while continuing finasteride on rest 6 days.

I noticed I had a tingling sensation soon after my first dutasteride lasting until the evening, and i have a slight itch sometimes since I have been on dutasteride. I never had a scalp itch, dandruff etc before. My scalp still looks and it feels as it did before. I haven't had any dutasteride shed as well...or atleast as yet.

Is the itch something to worry about. Does it always mean its bad for hair and will cause further hair loss?
I will be grateful for any experiences or advise. Hopefully it will show me the way and either alleviate the anxiety or make me decide to stop taking dutasteride.

Thanks

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
I got scalp itch when I started Finasteride, never had it before.

I've heard of people getting itch when starting dutasteride too. In your case, I imagine it's due to the increase in Testosterone. Your hair follicles are probably sensitive to Test as well as DHT. Which is why I think people complain of still losing hairline on dutasteride, because of the Test boost. I wouldn't worry about it too much, Test is much weaker in attacking the follicle than DHT.

Monitor the problem and if you find the itch correlates with hairloss then I would discontinue dutasteride and go back to just finasteride OR add a topical anti-androgen like RU or CB which blocks both Test and DHT.

Curious as to why you would add dutasteride when you said you had decent results with finasteride? Getting greedy!?

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I sometimes get the annoying scalp itch, despite being on Dutasteride. So far from what I've observed, I haven't been losing anymore hair, and have even had an improvement in hair density. It's important to keep in mind that the itch is not always correlated with hair loss progressing and not always associated with the failure of treatments.

shookwun

Reaction score
Bad sign

Whenever I break out In existing thinNing areas not only does the follicle gt a lighter pigmentation but I profusely itch in the following area. Even worse when you sweat.

Break outs and itch in male pattern baldness areas isn't a good sign!

oye_rg

Established Member
Reaction score
I got scalp itch when I started Finasteride, never had it before.

I've heard of people getting itch when starting dutasteride too. In your case, I imagine it's due to the increase in Testosterone. Your hair follicles are probably sensitive to Test as well as DHT. Which is why I think people complain of still losing hairline on dutasteride, because of the Test boost. I wouldn't worry about it too much, Test is much weaker in attacking the follicle than DHT.

Monitor the problem and if you find the itch correlates with hairloss then I would discontinue dutasteride and go back to just finasteride OR add a topical anti-androgen like RU or CB which blocks both Test and DHT.

Curious as to why you would add dutasteride when you said you had decent results with finasteride? Getting greedy!?

Thanks. I must admit you are right I have gotten greedy. Also particularly for the temples and crown where (as expected) finasteride and minoxidil could not do much more than growing vellus.

- - - Updated - - -

I sometimes get the annoying scalp itch, despite being on Dutasteride. So far from what I've observed, I haven't been losing anymore hair, and have even had an improvement in hair density. It's important to keep in mind that the itch is not always correlated with hair loss progressing and not always associated with the failure of treatments.
Yup haven't seen any much hair on the pillows or in the bath yet. Fingers crossed

goodperson

Reaction score
yep not good at all more oil production and other fluids. inflammation.

- - - Updated - - -

yep not good at all more oil production and other fluids. inflammation.

- - - Updated - - -

yep not good at all more oil production and other fluids. inflammation.​

selmore72

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been on the big 3 (min5%, finasteride 1.25 and keto) for 7 months now and have decent progress.
3 weeka ago I added dutasteride 0.5 once a week while continuing finasteride on rest 6 days.

I noticed I had a tingling sensation soon after my first dutasteride lasting until the evening, and i have a slight itch sometimes since I have been on dutasteride. I never had a scalp itch, dandruff etc before. My scalp still looks and it feels as it did before. I haven't had any dutasteride shed as well...or atleast as yet.

Is the itch something to worry about. Does it always mean its bad for hair and will cause further hair loss?
I will be grateful for any experiences or advise. Hopefully it will show me the way and either alleviate the anxiety or make me decide to stop taking dutasteride.

Thanks

If it's itchy accompanied by a lot of sebum, that's usually a bad sign.

oye_rg

Established Member
Reaction score
If it's itchy accompanied by a lot of sebum, that's usually a bad sign.

Nope no sebum but was itch. Anyway I reversed my decision to add dutasteride for other reasons (don't take it to mean anything against dutasteride I actually wanted to save it when finasteride starts losing steam in whatever years time.

radiohead1

Reaction score
My scalp is gotten itchy recently and have gotten slight pimples on my scalp. I have been on finasteride for a year

oye_rg

Established Member
Reaction score
My scalp is gotten itchy recently and have gotten slight pimples on my scalp. I have been on finasteride for a year

Unlikely to be finasteride specially since you've been using it for a year. What else do you use? Anything you have added or has changed recently?