is saw palmetto interesting in your opinion?

FromHairy2LarryDavid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was going to ask about Zix or Topical dutasteride but I think I already know your stance on that. Even with a transplant, you would need some sort of anti androgen and if one gets sides on finasteride, IDK what else they would do but try alternatives.
Oh sure you would need to stay on treatment but chances are it’s a much lighter one you’d need. Perhaps even micro-dosing finasteride. I imagine some folks don’t care tho and just blatantly keep getting transplants to keep up with losses. Topical dutasteride is interesting tho I’ll admit. Some people are getting solid results on it but a general consensus on it is yet to be established. Once we find the proper doses/frequency/sourcing/carrier for it, it just might become an excellent alternative for those who get sides on finasteride.

As far as Zix goes, I was observing that thread for quite a while but to me it seems like the very best you may get from it is sloppy maintenance. Sloppy as in, even the guy who came up with it lost a norwood since using it. Sure enough he could have lost more but there’s no confirming that. To me, compounding it and using it twice a day just to barely hang on to baseline is a bit too much.

If you’re really after some alternatives and have nerves for this game, I’d narrow it down to RU, CB, Topical Dutasteride, Oral minoxidil, 5-15% topical minoxidil, Oral finasteride. Each at ur own risk.

If none of them works but ur hair loss worsens and ur still not up for a transplant, there’s still drugs left to try but those need more compromises so no point discussing them yet.

Last edited:

kidcurry96

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh sure you would need to stay on treatment but chances are it’s a much lighter one you’d need. Perhaps even micro-dosing finasteride. I imagine some folks don’t care tho and just blatantly keep getting transplants to keep up with losses. Topical dutasteride is interesting tho I’ll admit. Some people are getting solid results on it but a general consensus on it is yet to be established. Once we find the proper doses/frequency/sourcing/carrier for it, it just might become an excellent alternative for those who get sides on finasteride.

As far as Zix goes, I was observing that thread for quite a while but to me it seems like the very best you may get from it is sloppy maintenance. Sloppy as in, even the guy who came up with it lost a norwood since using it. Sure enough he could have lost more but there’s no confirming that. To me, compounding it and using it twice a day just to barely hang on to baseline is a bit too much.

If you’re really after some alternatives and have nerves for this game, I’d narrow it down to RU, CB, Topical Dutasteride, Oral minoxidil, 5-15% topical minoxidil, Oral finasteride. Each at ur own risk.

If none of them works but ur hair loss worsens and ur still not up for a transplant, there’s still drugs left to try but those need more compromises so no point discussing them yet.
I think for folks with mild hairloss Zix might work but dont know for sure. If someone does not want to try finasteride or dutasteride for whatever reason, there is no harm in trying Zix first and seeing where it leads them in 6 months. Of course, one must be comfortable with the fact, it might not work and they could keep losing hair. It might seem too much to barely hang on but you cannot have it all. Seems like a good first option to see if it slows down/halts and then can move on to other anti androgens.