Is Rogaine 5% helpfull?

ShedMaster

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Let's put it this way: once minoxidil has reached its peak effect after about a year or so of steady use, the results appear to start declining again at about the same rate as they were originally during the balding process. In THAT specific sense, topical minoxidil doesn't interfere with the fundamental balding process.

Now contrast that with getting yourself castrated, which apparently PERMANENTLY halts further balding. No more loss of hair, even 20-30 years later. So castration DOES interfere with the balding process in that specific long-term sense, but not topical minoxidil.

Bryan

i think castration should be included in the stardard 'big 3' of male pattern baldness treatments. With a disclaimer of course. :freaked:

Justlooking

Established Member
Reaction score
faysals said:
Anyone use rogaine 5% for long run please inform ?

I've been on it for three plus years in combination with propecia so I'll take a stab at it.

I only have temple loss, and it's done a great job at maintaining what I have. In 3 years I'm maybe lost a centimeter on both sides. Now I'm seeing it starting to thin a little bit more, maybe another centimeter or two, so I'm throwing in the laser comb to see if that helps. I'm not sure if it's just a small normal shed or I'm losing more ground... only time will tell

87david

Established Member
Reaction score
I used Rogaine for about 6 years. I began using the 5% formula and experienced some good results; however, I eventually swithed to the 2% formula exclusively a couple of years ago. I found is that the 2% actually works for me better. I found this out because I took a hiatus from the extra strength formula for a couple of weeks and used the 2% exclusively because of the intense itching that the 5% formula caused. My scalp felt much better.

As far as your inquiry concerning regrowth, I never experienced regrowth on the 5% percent formula. However, it really did halt my hairloss progression. Paradoxically, I experienced the most regrowth on the 2% formula. It definitely added new hairs to my temples and the top of my head. I would say moderate regrowth for sure. Of course, I don't think that this means that the regular formula is better, but just that my scalp was much healthier on it, and I didn't need to scratch my scalp so much. It's wasn't that I scratched my hair out, but since my scalp was so irritated, my hair just naturally seemed to fall out when the irritation was at its greatest--maybe once every week. In addition, I never really could work up to the twice daily dose on the extra strength.

In sum, I recommend that you try the 5% first and see if that works for you because I think that's your best bet at getting regrowth if your scalp can get used to it. I plan to try the 5% minoxidil again, but try a different brand that isn't so irritating. I think what my experience partly shows is that scalp health can be a determining factor in the success of hairloss treatments. Good luck.

vade

Reaction score
hey im 20 nw2 and started usin minoxidil 2% 2 weeks ago, my derm said that at first month i might have a shed, at month 3 hair loss should be close to stopping, and at month 8 i should be seein some regrowth of course this is all expectations.. and if things take longer he said he might prescribe 5%.. and when i stop seein results with 2% i'll also switch to higher dosage...as for propecia he said he might add it later as a last resort :S...

SE-freak

Reaction score
vade:

Whatever course of action you and your derm choose to follow, you should know that minoxidil is merely a growth stimulant. Meaning, that the underlying cause of your loss will continue to be untreated and your follicles-although forced to work overtime by minoxidil- will continue to suffer the strikes of DHT.

vade

Reaction score
yeah i thought about this but he refused to prescribe it .. i dunno i might start it on my own soon.. btw does anyone has any experience with bein on minoxidil for some time and then starting finasteride.. what would like happen ? will it be bad :S ?