Is Oral Minoxidil Worth It At This Point In My Loss Journey?

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you got headaches from typical minoxidil then you probably don't want to even try OM. Someone suggested oral castor oil. That's a good option, but the digestive sides might be unbearable. Start with a low dose.

Equal Rights

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The headaches most likely came from fluctuation in your blood pressure as that is what min supposed to do. I assume it could possibly have come from irritation though, that is entirely a guess. I would still try OM, and stick it out for 2 weeks. You might get headaches at first but they could go away. I would also measure you blood pressure every evening and morning just to see where it is at, compare it to base line of before starting the treatment. I take 2.5ml oral castor oil in morning and night, i find that if i go over that my as*hole suffers.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@WaccWaccWacc once you pass the point of having hope, and desperation kicks in you will use topicals. Eventually, you realize that this is never-ending, tomorrow is guaranteed to be worse than today, next year is going to be worse than this year and everything will only ever go downhill. Time heals everything they say, quite the contrary with hairloss, every day it only feels shittier as hope slowly fades away.

Anyway, not everyone experiences shedding on mnx, and you should be playing the long game anyway. Remember shed is just a shed, you are gonna get it back, so focus on the long term benefits. I have never gotten sheds from either finasteride, duta, topical min, or oral min. I can attest however that after 2.5month of 5mg OM face is fast as f*ck, trying to get a eplerenone prescription so hopefully that helps.

If you are going to start, dont bother with 1.25mg, go straight to 2.5 and cut back if you need to but the results at such a low dose are negligible. Also please add oral castor oil as it will have synergetic effects with min.
Yea I’m not doing topicals, promise you that lol. Ive said it before but I tried topical min and after a month I decided I didn’t want to do that everynight for an extended period of time, so I discontinued.

I would get on oral min even at 2.5mg but skin deterioration is not something I want at 21. If it gets bad enough Ill add oral min. Right now Im satisfied with my situation. If its maintained with just finasteride... a hair transplant will do the rest in a couple years with minimal drug dependence. If no longer maintenance, I’ll add OM.

Equal Rights

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In that case try duta and see how you tolerate it. You can restore the hairline with a transplant and if finasteride held you steady then duta will probably work great for the rest of the head.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil is just for regrowth. In your situation there's not much point in using it unless you were going to microneedle. You're not going to stay on it forever, and unless it's combined with aggressive measures, like microneedling or estrogen, then as soon as you stop using it your hair will be like if you never used it.
Yea this is exactly why Im not on it. Not ready to fully commit to anything than taking 1 pill a day. The good thing is I started early enough that baseline for me is not too awful. Maintenance is my current and only goal.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil is just for regrowth. In your situation there's not much point in using it unless you were going to microneedle. You're not going to stay on it forever, and unless it's combined with aggressive measures, like microneedling or estrogen, then as soon as you stop using it your hair will be like if you never used it.

"then as soon as you stop using it your hair will be like if you never used it."
If this is not the most stupid phrase I have read in more than two decades on the internet, it is very close. this happen with every single medicine you take for whatever reason you take it ! cause there are not cure you f*****g idiot !

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
"then as soon as you stop using it your hair will be like if you never used it."
If this is not the most stupid phrase I have read in more than two decades on the internet, it is very close. this happen with every single medicine you take for whatever reason you take it ! cause there are not cure you f*****g idiot !
you’re hating the player rather than the game, chill.

How do facts make people so tense

Lilija

My Regimen
Reaction score
21 y/o. So Ive been on finasteride 1mg for about 17months now. Haven’t seen any improvement, one can make a strong case for maintenance.

Due to all this I want to up my regime and add Oral Minoxidil but from what Im reading it just sounds very subpar. The side effect profile seem to be more likely than finasteride side effects.

If I were to start I am thinking of either 1.25mg or 2.5mg. I am not willing to go above these dosages regardless of what people say. The only study done on OM for male pattern baldness shows a 35% side effect profile at 5mg.

Things I am concerned about starting OM:

shed, do not want to lose the maintenance finasteride has gave me

water rentention, dont wanna have to just stockpile meds in my regime to make my hairloss meds work without side effects.

what do you guys think?

I'm in the same case. I've been using finasteride and minoxidil for almost 3 years now. But i can't stand the minoxidil routine twice a day anymore, especially the night one. I have to plan everything because of this, i can't enjoy the spontaneous or unplanned events because of this.
And since i have a good amount of hair i can't use foam, liquid minoxidil takes around 90mn to be absorbed which is not convenient at all.

Had no side effects with topical minoxidil so i think i'm a good candidate (even applying minoxidil 7 hours after a microneedling session is not doing much)

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm in the same case. I've been using finasteride and minoxidil for almost 3 years now. But i can't stand the minoxidil routine twice a day anymore, especially the night one. I have to plan everything because of this, i can't enjoy the spontaneous or unplanned events because of this.
And since i have a good amount of hair i can't use foam, liquid minoxidil takes around 90mn to be absorbed which is not convenient at all.

Had no side effects with topical minoxidil so i think i'm a good candidate (even applying minoxidil 7 hours after a microneedling session is not doing much)
Topical minoxidil need only be applied once a day so try that. You can also exceed the standard dosage.

I am not even a week into using oral minoxidil and I seem to be retaining water significantly with a rapid weight increase which doesn't thrill me but then again it is only water weight. Except for the forehead area, one can always get laser removal so I wouldn't let that dissuade you if you get good hair growth results. Goddess bless.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
But i can't stand the minoxidil routine twice a day anymore, especially the night one. I have to plan everything because of this, i can't enjoy the spontaneous or unplanned events because of this.

exactly, to each their own... but Id rather shave at that point

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
When one reads the literature, oral minoxidil is said to only take effect after nine months to a year. My presumption is that this only applies to balding areas but the hair that is already present should react immediately more or less. I can deal with the excess hair removal but not with dark circles under my eyes so that is my constraining factor.

Equal Rights

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
When one reads the literature, oral minoxidil is said to only take effect after nine months to a year. My presumption is that this only applies to balding areas but the hair that is already present should react immediately more or less. I can deal with the excess hair removal but not with dark circles under my eyes so that is my constraining factor.

Use spironolactone or eplerenone, they are diuretics and will flush the water weight out of you and help with dark circles if the water weight is what actually causes them. The extent varies from user to user. I noticed more hair on the face a month in on OM, have yet to see it on the scalp though.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Every time that I type this: Spironolactone, it comes back as:spironolactone when is wrong when spironolactone starts the sentence.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
... this should be the least of your worries. Lol
Goddess knows, I have no worries. I just float on a cloud of estradiol. I never knew females or at least other people felt like this. It is wondrous and profound and I am in love with Janey but shhh! It's called auto-gynephiilia and it means that I just love looking in the mirror at myself or is it Jane? Of course, now Jane's alter ego wants in again and he was formerly pretty much done with life or even hope.
6-17-2.JPG
6-17.JPG
IMG_0424.JPG

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...-route-hair-life.109288/page-593#post-1913415
https://inpursuitoffeminity.blogspot.com/2020/04/more-filler.html

Last edited:

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Goddess knows, I have no worries. I just float on a cloud of estradiol. I never knew females or at least other people felt like this. It is wondrous and profound and I am in love with Janey but shhh! It's called auto-gynephiilia and it means that I just love looking in the mirror at myself or is it Jane? Of course, now Jane's alter ego wants in again and he was formerly pretty much done with life or even hope.View attachment 148786 View attachment 148787 View attachment 148788

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...-route-hair-life.109288/page-593#post-1913415
https://inpursuitoffeminity.blogspot.com/2020/04/more-filler.html
Really ? I am not want to be offensive, but why don't you go to a transfender forum ? I mean, There will have more information for you. Cause what we consider a side effect , for you is a blessing . You can use drugs that will be really stupid for any male to take it . So what is the sense ? Plus you show us pictures on how you look dress it up like a girl, what it have to do that with hair loss treatment ?

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Really ? I am not want to be offensive, but why don't you go to a transfender forum ? I mean, There will have more information for you. Cause what we consider a side effect , for you is a blessing . You can use drugs that will be really stupid for any male to take it . So what is the sense ? Plus you show us pictures on how you look dress it up like a girl, what it have to do that with hair loss treatment ?
The goal is to show the feminization effects facially and otherwise that people state that they want to avoid above all and especially the extended breast growth which is rare but possible. I don't believe that the author of the thread had breast growth to any significant effect and that is a difficult question to address as the results can be puzzling in that they are far from universal and all but always sought by MtFs and often without any visible breast growth ever. To the extent that this is true, to some, it might affect their choices, as do the performance of serms and whether it is worthwhile to use such powerful cancer meds in the hair context if significant breast growth is unlikely. At the same time, although not likely, many people show significant facial softening to the point of being female in appearance which almost certainly was the case for @bridgeburn, which was often overlooked due to his amazing hair results. I see him as a pioneer and I see the thread as pushing the limits of knowledge in the area of using medications to restore hair both for those under constraint as cis-males and those who are either MtF or who simply don't care. They just want good hair back.

It appeared that the thread was dying and it was and is an area of fascination to me-- and I have the time, energy and at least anecdotal knowledge and experience and willingness to post and be open to a certain degree to hopefully help re-create interest. Not counting non-hormonal treatments, I am going estradiol only and that, to me, is an important difference in approach that might present more options.

Like anyone, I have my hits and misses and I will delete anything that offends others so I hope that you will not be put off. Some have literally posted pages and pages of pics and often, we can get too enamored of our own results as we perceive them.

I do not proselytize and I have recently urged others to re-consider using AA's in any sort of male context. I am currently using oral minoxidil so I follow the recommendations of others with interest. Oral minoxidil might be a more viable path for all cis-males rather than using hormonal medications and it might also be considered an extreme method depending on dosage which makes it of considerable interest. I will continue to follow the thread and your hair posts with interest.

Last edited: