Is Oral Minoxidil really worth the hair it gives you?

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Absolutely.

Both of my folks are in their 80's and have perfect hair. Even as I tell my mother about my hair loss recovery, she doesn't really get the importance of it to me, symbolic or otherwise, since I wasn't "bald" prior to HRT. @bridegeburn said similar things. You expect people not to recognize you or to say something where they just blurt out but other people are never as focused on us as we think that they are. Ultimately, @bridegeburn stated that even if he were the last person on earth, that he still would want his hair and people either get that or they don't. At least I look nice for myself during Covid19 and it will end someday.

My other thing is that DHT was making my life a living hell with painful dermatitis and I am touchy about people who think that endocrine issues lack importance if they primarily are external and considered "appearance" issues merely like rosacea, dermatitis and baldness often are. People openly make fun of people with rosacea and baldness, and less so with acne and dermatitis, since they are seen as temporary but still DHT is both necessary as so many of the anti-finasteride guys state but it is also the primary culprit in just about every single cosmetic issue above the neck caused by hormonal influences.
I lost all my hair from dermatitis:(

It wasn’t super thick before but it was somewhere between normal and thick. If not for dermatitis, I could of went another 5 - 10 years without worrying about hair. The plaque, inflammation, skin stiffness just devoured everything overnight.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I lost all my hair from dermatitis:(

It wasn’t super thick before but it was somewhere between normal and thick. If not for dermatitis, I could of went another 5 - 10 years without worrying about hair. The plaque, inflammation, skin stiffness just devoured everything overnight.
In my opinion, dermatitis and hair loss are highly linked and possibly more so than just in terms of genetics. I had periodic sores under my scalp that made me miserable plus I had red splotches all over my face which left me bleeding and looking horrible after shaving. I had my beard removed and that finally halted the dermatitis but HRT hadn't, at least at the low estrogen doses that I was on prior to beard removal via laser. I cringe every single time that I hear someone worried about baldness stating an intention to grow a "minoxidil beard" which is a likely dermatitis vehicle from which to infect the scalp and then back and forth. Topical minoxidil has been implicated in dermatitis and using it to try to grow a beard appears "too smart by half" to me.

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In my opinion, dermatitis and hair loss are highly linked and possibly more so than just in terms of genetics. I had periodic sores under my scalp that made me miserable plus I had red splotches all over my face which left me bleeding and looking horrible after shaving. I had my beard removed and that finally halted the dermatitis but HRT hadn't, at least at the low estrogen doses that I was on prior to beard removal via laser. I cringe every single time that I hear someone worried about baldness stating an intention to grow a "minoxidil beard" which is a likely dermatitis vehicle from which to infect the scalp and then back and forth. Topical minoxidil has been implicated in dermatitis and using it to try to grow a beard appears "too smart by half" to me.
Do you think that microneedling primarily increases minoxidil absorption and growth factors? It’s supposed to also increase sulfation to some extent but maybe not enough. Do you think retinoic acid increases sulfation a lot more? When I was using minoxidil with retin-a I swear I was seeing something (3-4 month mark) but it got to expensive. Now I found an affordable alternative and plan to restart minoxidil plus retin-a.

my skin is finally mostly clear, I don’t have sores anymore just slight redness here and there. I also want to start applying ceramides, hyaluronic acid, and melatonin diy solution.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you think that microneedling primarily increases minoxidil absorption and growth factors? It’s supposed to also increase sulfation to some extent but maybe not enough. Do you think retinoic acid increases sulfation a lot more? When I was using minoxidil with retin-a I swear I was seeing something (3-4 month mark) but it got to expensive. Now I found an affordable alternative and plan to restart minoxidil plus retin-a.

my skin is finally mostly clear, I don’t have sores anymore just slight redness here and there. I also want to start applying ceramides, hyaluronic acid, and melatonin diy solution.
I can't speak as to the relative efficacies because so much depends on genetics and one might need to microneedle first without minoxidil and then with to verify. I am using all three methods of minoxidil (with DR, topical and oral) and I have used minoxidil since the 80's though and it never regrew any hair for me that I could see but along with finasteride, it worked nicely for maintenance for many years. I encourage all "female" beauty treatments and there are some like hyaluronic acid and retinols that really work well. You might consider botox to relax your chewing muscles which have been implicated by some to cause hair loss. Botox is fairly cheap and not especially painful.

Will Be an Egg in 5 years

My Regimen
Reaction score
The worst is being diffuse, because you can still hide it pretty well. You tell your friends and family about it, and they say "you aren't balding. don't worry." When you know in fact... you ARE loosing your hair. That sh*t drives me absolutely NUTS
EXACTLY. People still can't tell I'm balding. I still can fake a NW0 hairline somehow, but not for too long. My right temple is DESTROYED, but behind the hairline. Untill it falls of completely no one will notice.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Once they turn terminal yes they are generally permanent
Beard hair in general is that way in the absence of some hormonal event. My father lost the ability to grow a beard after a vasectomy which I always found weird but he kept all of his hair up top.

In terms of hormones, I think there is a certain point and when you have passed that with your beard development, it is permanent and can only be removed by laser or electricity, neither of which is much fun.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
EXACTLY. People still can't tell I'm balding. I still can fake a NW0 hairline somehow, but not for too long. My right temples is DESTROYED, but behind the hairline. Untill it falls of completely no one will notice.
But they probably still react to you differently. I was late to realize that I had an incipient bald spot in my crown (age 20) but I had noticed that my hair simply wasn't managing as well and it was getting frizzy and it didn't look good long. So, no, I hadn't realized I was balding and probably no one else did but the loss of attractiveness is still apparent if articulated. You can look at slow balders among the famous like Bruce Springsteen and yeah, there is a point where it affects their looks that is prior to anyone being ready or able to say that they are going bald. Because baldness and hair attractiveness is highly correlated with age, that is another thing that can mislead. Is the person less attractive because he or she is older or is it because he or she has lost hair or both?

People (like me) who know what to look for though can tell what is going on. I looked at the Beatles's hair minutiously, mostly John and Ringo since they other two had the better hair. But really, in the vast scheme of things, all four Beatles had pretty great hair and probably better than any of us even with treatment except for maybe not Ringo in front.

Last edited:

My Regimen
Reaction score
But they probably still react to you differently. I was late to realize that I had an incipient bald spot in my crown (age 20) but I had noticed that my hair simply wasn't managing as well and it was getting frizzy and it didn't look good long. So, no, I hadn't realized I was balding and probably no one else did but the loss of attractiveness is still apparent if articulated. You can look at slow balders among the famous like Bruce Springsteen and yeah, there is a point where it affects their looks that is prior to anyone being ready or able to say that they are going bald.

People (like me) who know what to look for though can tell what is going on. I looked at the Beatles's hair minutiously, mostly John and Ringo since they other two had the better hair. But really, in the vast scheme of things, all four Beatles had pretty great hair and probably better than any of us even with treatment except for maybe not Ringo in front.
Not yet, but they will. I have not reached the loss of atractiveness yet. Sure, I could change it very quickly. A buzzcut would expose my receded temples and thinning overall, but I don't know in what extend and I won't pay the price to find it out. But my forelock must be pretty bad.

I'm on the verge of stop carying and isolating myself again.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not yet, but they will. I have not reached the loss of atractiveness yet. Sure, I could change it very quickly. A buzzcut would expose my receded temples and thinning overall, but I don't know in what extend and I won't pay the price to find it out. But my forelock must be pretty bad.

I don't know much about you and your goals or limits but I will do whatever I can to try to provide information and choices.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I understand this feeling. But I really do think it's better to do something about it rather than try to ignore the elephant in the room, as it were. It gives me some mental relief knowing that I'm at least doing something about it. The problem with not caring means that you won't do anything about it, which in itself is fine if you don't care at all ever again, however the issue comes in if you ever do start to look in the mirror and care again once you've lost even more ground - then that can put you in a place of even greater despair and leave you with regrets. So by taking some action now (at least for me) I believe is a better approach because I can sleep at night knowing I'm doing the best I can.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I actually take refuge in the tale of Sisyphus. It's a fine line between becoming obsessed with something that just isn't going to happen and trying just for the sake of trying and looking better and feeling better as a human being.

That's why I have so much respect for all of the bald guys tinkering on here trying to find the protocol that is just right.

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The entire point of oral castor oil is that it is used to evacuate bowels as well as killing off opportunistic bacteria.

My Regimen
Reaction score
I understand this feeling. But I really do think it's better to do something about it rather than try to ignore the elephant in the room, as it were. It gives me some mental relief knowing that I'm at least doing something about it. The problem with not caring means that you won't do anything about it, which in itself is fine if you don't care at all ever again, however the issue comes in if you ever do start to look in the mirror and care again once you've lost even more ground - then that can put you in a place of even greater despair and leave you with regrets. So by taking some action now (at least for me) I believe is a better approach because I can sleep at night knowing I'm doing the best I can.
Yes. I'm not able to start treatment yet, but I'm looking forward to It. It's been a tough week, I've reached my lowest point in terms of hairloss. The shedding in the last 2 days are unbeliavable. I've lost a lot of ground in a matter of days.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes. I'm not able to start treatment yet, but I'm looking forward to It. It's been a tough week, I've reached my lowest point in terms of hairloss. The shedding in the last 2 days are unbeliavable. I've lost a lot of ground in a matter of days.
What is the cause of your shedding?

he_who_dares_wins

My Regimen
Reaction score
How does oral minoxidil compare to topical. I, for example, am using 3ml of 7% (about 70mg in weight). What would the equivalent of that be in oral form?

LITUATUI

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How does oral minoxidil compare to topical. I, for example, am using 3ml of 7% (about 70mg in weight). What would the equivalent of that be in oral form?

These subjects were randomly assigned to the 1% and 5% minoxidil testing groups, and all received nine topical applications to a bald area on the scalp, with the radioactive solutions applied on days 1 and 9. Urinary excretion of radioactivity was low, with mean values ranging from 1.6% to 3.9% of applied dose.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamadermatology/article-abstract/545803

You're using 210 mg topically, let's assume that on average 3 % is going systemic, this represents 6.3 mg.

The absorption of topical agents varies from scalp to scalp. For example, washing your head with hot/warm water and an anti-dandruff shampoo to open pores and remove sebum, improves the absorption of topical minoxidil.

Anyway, the half life of minoxidil is 22 hours for topical and only 4 hours for oral.

he_who_dares_wins

My Regimen
Reaction score
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamadermatology/article-abstract/545803

You're using 210 mg topically, let's assume that on average 3 % is going systemic, this represents 6.3 mg.

The absorption of topical agents varies from scalp to scalp. For example, washing your head with hot/warm water and an anti-dandruff shampoo to open pores and remove sebum, improves the absorption of topical minoxidil.

Anyway, the half life of minoxidil is 22 hours for topical and only 4 hours for oral.
Yeah, it's 210mg. (my bad). But what would the oral equivalent of 210mg applied topically in terms of efficacy? It can't be as low as 6.3 mg or so, can it?

LITUATUI

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The optimal dosage of oral minoxidil for best results without serious side effects is between 2.5 and 5 mg.

I'm currently doing a mixed approach. Every morning I apply 1 mL topically and drink 1 drop (2 mg). I was taking 3 drops (6 mg) for a while, but some days I was getting puffy eyes in the morning from water retention.

Just a tip, minoxidil can increase your heart rate, so use it only in the mornings when you're starting your day. Having a rapid heart beat at night when trying to sleep isn't fun, nor healthy...