Is my hairline receeding? How can you tell?

twigthewonderkid

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to all this, I just wanted to know how can you actually tell if you're balding? I've got long hair a high hairline, but quite a lot of hair falls out in clumps when I wash it or brush it. I'm only 19, and if wonder if my hairline is too high for someone of my age? I would upload pictures, but I don't know how to. Someone help!

G

If you think you are losing hair chances are about 99% that you are actually losing it. But yes, pics can tell for sure whether you are or not.

G

It is hard to tell from these pics. Your hairline is definetly high, but it is hard to say whether you are actually balding. Maybe you are just developing a mature hairline. Your overall density looks ok to me. Do you have further high resolution pics?

P.S.: Your crown would be interesting, too.

G

Yes, you show the early signs of balding to me. I know it is hard, but there are treatments and if you start early you have good chances not to be "the bald guy". At first I recommend Finasteride. I am in a similiar situation with my hair looking almost the same. Good Luck!

ETERNAL HOPE

Reaction score
twigthewonderkid,
It appears that your hairline is indeed quite high for your youthful age, regardless of the mature hairline syndrome. Hairloss though, is extremely unpredictable, of which you may never receed further than your current situation, although there are no guarantees. As tugenicks recommends, finasteride should help as well as minoxidil and possibly an iodine based product.
Oh, and when posting imageshack photos, scroll down the host page until you see forum links and use them for your posts. The thumbnail links you provided are difficult to view.
Good Luck!

ETERNAL HOPE

Reaction score
If possible, could you post a few photos of which depict the sides/temporal areas? These are very telltale signs.

twigthewonderkid

Reaction score

Apoc

Established Member
Reaction score
Impossible to tell from these pictures IMHO. This could be pictures from some girl as far as I'm concerned. Wet your hair and comb them forward then take a overhead shot, if you can't spot male pattern baldness from those then you don't have it...

... yet.

G

I don't think you are balding. It just looks like a hair part to me. Maybe your vertex has always been a little thin there. No real way to tell from your pics so you should see a dermatologist if you are concerned about it and he can tell you whether you have it or not, and if you do, he can give you a prescription for Propecia.

r1989

Reaction score
IMO it's inconclusive at this point. To me you don't really look like you're balding. But I'm no expert. Pretty much the only thing you can do is see if your hair gets worse over time.

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Most important check your family history for baldness. If anyone of your blood relatives is bald there is a chance you going bald. Try to see from who you inherited your type of hair. Other than that have you been under a stressful/depressing period? This might have caused your almost-unnoticable thinning. Imho find a GOOD dermatologist and consult him.