Is my hair thinning or just normal hair structure?

Ultmare

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am 23 years old, and have straight hair. Since about 1 year, I have been feeling concerned about my hair possibly thinning, and have no concrete consensus on this matter. So, I want to know expert opinion on this matter.
IMG_20211106_112357.jpg

IMG_20211106_195550.jpg

shoegazing

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In both pictures your hair looks wet. Upload one where your hair is dry.

Ultmare

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've just seen it. Your crown looks too sparse and you are definitely receding, sadly. Might as well check your vitamin levels before jumping into any treatments. If you are willing to do so, that is.
Thank you for the information.

Do you think the condition of my crown is too serious, or this is just in its beginning phase? Sorry, I'm too good with those Norwood scales.

Also, as for my hair structure, do you think my hair is thinning?

shoegazing

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for the information.

Do you think the condition of my crown is too serious, or this is just in its beginning phase? Sorry, I'm too good with those Norwood scales.

Also, as for my hair structure, do you think my hair is thinning?
Yes, it is thinning. Despite not being on treatments, I am in a bit better situation than yours, so I would say you might save what you have and even recover what you lost if you take finasteride and apply minoxidil.

Ultmare

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also, which medicine do you think I should use? Finasteride or something else?

Ultmare

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also, do I need to go for hair transplant for my crown area?
Please suggest your opinion.

shoegazing

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Some people really recover what they lost only by using finasteride+minoxidil combo, and usually keep the results for years. I don't think I've ever seen a hair transplant done at such a young age with success.

About the keto shampoo, it depends. Some people use daily or every other day without problems, but then there are people like me whose scalp can't deal with it more than once a week. Try every other day, then stretch it more until you see if it's working or not.

Ultmare

My Regimen
Reaction score
Some people really recover what they lost only by using finasteride+minoxidil combo, and usually keep the results for years. I don't think I've ever seen a hair transplant done at such a young age with success.

About the keto shampoo, it depends. Some people use daily or every other day without problems, but then there are people like me whose scalp can't deal with it more than once a week. Try every other day, then stretch it more until you see if it's working or not.
Thank you so much for the information.

jazz1

Reaction score
You seen a dermatologist first to determine the type of Hairloss?

Ultmare

My Regimen
Reaction score
You seen a dermatologist first to determine the type of Hairloss?
Okay, so two years ago, I visited two dermatologists
One claimed I had Androgenic Alopecia, one said my hair was absolutely fine and there is no problem.
I visited a third one last year, but he didn't really look like he knew how to diagnose my hair, so I dropped his medications within two months.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I am 23 years old, and have straight hair. Since about 1 year, I have been feeling concerned about my hair possibly thinning, and have no concrete consensus on this matter. So, I want to know expert opinion on this matter.
View attachment 172160

View attachment 172158
Second photo looks like the earliest stage of male pattern baldness.

jazz1

Reaction score
Okay, so two years ago, I visited two dermatologists
One claimed I had Androgenic Alopecia, one said my hair was absolutely fine and there is no problem.
I visited a third one last year, but he didn't really look like he knew how to diagnose my hair, so I dropped his medications within two months.
As above looks like male pattern baldness, i would jump on the BIG3 and a derma roller and use ketaconazole shampoo like Nizoral or Regenepure DR.

Ultmare

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oop- It's been two years, and I kinda forgot to give an update lol, but here I am. I have been using Minoxidil and Finasteride 1mg pretty much regularly now since the past two years, and I feel very good and positive about my hair. :)
PXL_20231208_161033662.jpg
PXL_20231208_161008499.jpg
PXL_20231208_161028129.jpg

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score
You did the smart thing and took action promptly, well done.

You have quite a lot of body hair looking at your upper arms and back so probably have a lot of DHT. The finasteride countered that.