Is minoxidil really bad for your skin?

Haircut

Reaction score
Is this stuff prematurely aging us..

Im worried about this since im still young but am noticing what it seems like premature wrinkles when compared to my friends faces..

Apparently minoxidil depletes or decreases the collagen in your skin and not only your face but everywhere since it travels through the blood stream.

Here's a site where people are saying just that..

http://www.publichealthforums.com/h-33-minoxidil.html

Reaction score
Looks like another Immortal Health type website in which any proven type of hair loss treatment is "poison" and everyone should use "natural" solutions, even though none of those has ever been proven to actually work.

RP3X

Established Member
Reaction score
There is obvious side effects of minoxidil, plenty of proof around there is a major thread I cant seem to find it was called cures for dark circles and heres my experiences with minoxidil after 4 years:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=71802&p=672045#p672045

Of course its difference for all of us so you can only sometimes try and see...

Personally speaking I feel its damaged my skin especially around my eyes and while its only been a 5-6 weeks off minoxidil and my skins not really changed, I can only now hope minoxidil damage to my skin and dark circles is somehow repaired over time!

I guess this is the trade off..... you either reduce your hair loss or reduce + regrew your hair or you get minoxidil side effects and bare with it, in my case I look like Ive been punched in the eyes permanently for last 5 years !

Reaction score
RP3X said:
There is obvious side effects of minoxidil, plenty of proof around there is a major thread I cant seem to find it was called cures for dark circles and heres my experiences with minoxidil after 4 years:

Personally speaking I feel its damaged my skin especially around my eyes and while its only been a 5-6 weeks off minoxidil and my skins not really changed, I can only now hope minoxidil damage to my skin and dark circles is somehow repaired over time!

I guess this is the trade off..... you either reduce your hair loss or reduce + regrew your hair or you get minoxidil side effects and bare with it, in my case I look like Ive been punched in the eyes permanently for last 5 years !

Well, if you feel the above link is accurate maybe you should take collagen supplements to attempt to counteract the effects of the minoxidil.

rill

Established Member
Reaction score
MarkMaybeakook said:
RP3X said:

Well, if you feel the above link is accurate maybe you should take collagen supplements to attempt to counteract the effects of the minoxidil.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/collagen ... -work.html

I would try a dermaroller and some cream with copper peptides, maybe retin-a could help to

berserker69

Reaction score
Yeah, I've come to see that MIN has really taken a toll on my face...

Hairloss has been my obsession for a couple years and so as I saw myself getting uglier I put it down to that..

But looking through some photos recently of a couple years back, man, I have aged an impossible amount in the last couple of years...

The black circles were worst when i did wet scalp application but I still have those bags under my eyes, I've been blind to identify these traits cos I've been so preoccupied with saving my hair....

And i have always had pretty good skin, nice complexion, but photos of me in last few months show huge, ugly pores and such coarse skin...

Like I have been hating how i looked for ages now, I look almost unrecognisable to the youthful 24 year old I was when I knew happiness...

I'm beginning to think that the hairloss meds are poisons too - and I have lived my life throwing caution to the wind and discrediting the tales of side effects as paranoid and exaggerated...

I have loads of features of pseudoacromegaly already - Cutis Verticis Gyrata (NOT caused by minoxidil, that just appeared in my early 20s) coarse facial features and skin, just looking really ugly, and my hair is probably the thing which impacts my appearance the least now... I avoided even being in the same room as a camera for over a year, it was so pathetic, and I pretend I'm not bothered now but when I see a photo of myself it never fails to hit me like a sledgehammer in the jewels....

I guess I have a new focus other than my hairloss now, it's trying to reverse the effects of min...

Always, always, always, learning lessons the hard way.....

brsrkr69

jecheung

Reaction score
oh I hear ya.. After restarting minoxidil twice a day, I've noticed in many pictures that my face started to sag a bit... looks like I'm very sleepy or very high. its horrible.. So I think I'm going to go back to once a day minoxidil.. can't keep doing this..

berserker69

Reaction score
jecheung said:
oh I hear ya.. After restarting minoxidil twice a day, I've noticed in many pictures that my face started to sag a bit... looks like I'm very sleepy or very high. its horrible.. So I think I'm going to go back to once a day minoxidil.. can't keep doing this..

Yeah man, the MinoxiJunkie look defo aint very rock n roll....

I really hope I can reverse some of the facial effects, just look so tired and bloated all the time, and whenever i smile i have these horrible bags and puffy eyelids...

How could I not have looked into this before jumping on minoxidil? It hasn 't done anything positive for my hairloss for last 6 months...

brsrkr69

Pyro

Established Member
Reaction score
guys i've been using minix on and off for like 3-4 years and people to this day always say i look so young. i even get asked for ID alot in bars and i'm mid 20's. if minoxidil causes these sides, then i don't think it effects everyone.

Reaction score
Pyro said:
guys i've been using minix on and off for like 3-4 years and people to this day always say i look so young. i even get asked for ID alot in bars and i'm mid 20's. if minoxidil causes these sides, then i don't think it effects everyone.

:agree:

People read stuff things like minoxidil F's up your skin or eyes on the internet and then start examining themselves closely and say yeah it must be what's causing my aging skin (even though they are 10 years older than when they started using it). The power of suggestion is an amazing thing sometimes. The best thing to do (whether one uses minoxidil or not) is to drink lots of water, eat a healthy diet, exercise and you will look a lot better regardless. Folks need to relax sometimes.

berserker69

Reaction score
I don't disagree with you man, power of suggestion is incredible sometimes. Ask Derren Brown...

And not everyone will get these sides - as always our individual makeup will dictate how we respond to a treatment....
But also i think it's naieve to discredit 1) the biochemistry involved where minoxidil has been proven to ngatively affect collagen synthesis, and has documented sides of water retention and coarsening of facial features.... and 2) the abundance of anecdotal reports concerning the symptomatic development of such sides.

It took a good few years for me to have developed any visible changes in appearance - but in 2 years it's not natural to have developed huge, swollen under-eye bags where there were none before. And for skin to look, just, worn out...

I'm only 26 brah! In the gym 5 times a week, healthy diet, don't smoke, live cleaner than i ever have in my adult life. And for ages I was really bothered by not being able to explain why i looked so rough - always sleepy etc, when i felt pretty good and healthy...

In any case minoxidil seems to have stopped working after all these years for me...

brsrkr69

Reaction score
berserker69 said:
I don't disagree with you man, power of suggestion is incredible sometimes. Ask Derren Brown...

And not everyone will get these sides - as always our individual makeup will dictate how we respond to a treatment....
But also i think it's naieve to discredit 1) the biochemistry involved where minoxidil has been proven to ngatively affect collagen synthesis, and has documented sides of water retention and coarsening of facial features.... and 2) the abundance of anecdotal reports concerning the symptomatic development of such sides.

It took a good few years for me to have developed any visible changes in appearance - but in 2 years it's not natural to have developed huge, swollen under-eye bags where there were none before. And for skin to look, just, worn out...

I'm only 26 brah! In the gym 5 times a week, healthy diet, don't smoke, live cleaner than i ever have in my adult life. And for ages I was really bothered by not being able to explain why i looked so rough - always sleepy etc, when i felt pretty good and healthy...

In any case minoxidil seems to have stopped working after all these years for me...

brsrkr69

If minoxidil has stopped working for you then there isn't much reason for you to continue using it. I still wonder how much you were using, minoxidil that is. I often wondered if people who see skin and eye issues use too more than the recommended dosage (1 ml of the 5% concentration twice per day), or dont let it dry completely before going to bed. If the minoxidil is still wet on your head and rubs off on the pillow then it could be getting on your face and who knows what that does to the skin. I've never had issues using it. But again, as you say everyone is different with different physiology, sensitivities, etc.