Is Minoxidil Induced Shedding Local?

RegrowthPlease

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys, so I started minoxidil about 3 months ago only on my temples and got a very tiny amount of regrowth but along the sides of my forehead (and especially above my lateral eyebrows) many vellus hairs grew which eventually darkened somewhat.

Then a few days ago I decided to apply minoxidil also to my lateral hairline (basically vertically along the temple points, and I got a severe itch and experienced some shedding in that region, which I could tell because the shed hair was shorter in comparison to those from the temple region, and I don't think I have ever seen hair this short being shed).

Was this shedding around the temple point region due to minoxidil? I have been using minoxidil for a while but have not actively applied it in this particular area till now. Some people say minoxidil goes systemic, like beard growth chasers who apply it to their beards experience head hair shedding. So, is it normal that I have experienced increased shedding in that particular area only now?

OTOH, I have continued with finasteride 1.25mg daily, and my temple region is no longer itching. I am wondering if this is indeed minoxidil induced shedding, or a manisfestation of increased severity of Androgenetic Alopecia (this week I had been eating a ton of junk food and copious amounts of carbs, and hyperinsulinemia is apparently highly associated with Androgenetic Alopecia, just like it is with PCOS in women).

Flagermus

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm also interested in knowing, whether applying minoxidil to hairline/temples can induce a shedding all over the scalp? And if it's common or not.

TaylorJ21

My Regimen
Reaction score
have been applying minoxidil to my temples for 2 months and ive seen a little bit of regrowth but along the lateral part of the hairline ive experienced a little bit of thinning. not sure if its due to the minoxidil or the finasteride but im hoping it grows back thicker