Is male pattern baldness really genetic ? No history of balding in my family

niff1239

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm 26 and I've noticed hair loss for one year (it may have started earlier though). It looks like male pattern baldness because only the vertex and crown are losing density (i'm losing hair everywhere on my head but it's more visible at the vertex).
However there's no history of male pattern baldness in my family, not even one member. My father (almost 60) is NW1. Both my gradfathers have very good density (over 90 yo). Same applies for my uncles : all of them are NW1, not even a slight of balding. I haven't known the parents of my grandparents but looking at old photos and according to my parents, they weren't suffering from male pattern baldness.

My life hygiene is terrible : too much junk food, tobacco and cannabis, lot of masturbation (more than once a day for the last 10 years).

Here are my questions :
1. Is my hairloss can be something else than male pattern baldness ? A doctor told me yes it's male pattern baldness because of my vertex and another one said it could be something else.

2. Can you suffer from male pattern baldness when you haveno history of male pattern baldness in your family (not even one) ?

3. Am I the only one in this situation ? If some other people are also suffering from genetic hairloos (male pattern baldness) with no balding in their family, I would like to know what kind of hairloss they are experiencing and if they have/had a decent hygiene life.

Thanks very much. :punk:

JohnDoe1989

Reaction score
I personally think u should go to a Doctor and check your thyroid. + all the hormones in your body. If u see a high dose of DHT then u know for sure that male pattern baldness is your case.(hair follicles not that tough) Do not jump into meds just becouse you are guesing. This is my opinion and this is what i would do.

PS: And go for vitamins. Especially high doses of vitamin D3 and zinc. Do not mix vitamin D3 with calcium in high doses becouse it can be bad for your bones.

LooseItAll

Established Member
Reaction score
male pattern baldness gene can be carried by females too, but because of lower androgen level they tend to retain their hair. That's probably your familys case.

niff1239

Reaction score
LooseItAll said:
male pattern baldness gene can be carried by females too, but because of lower androgen level they tend to retain their hair. That's probably your familys case.

Females of my family don't suffer from male pattern baldness (FPB ?) too. I find it weird that this gene can be traced back to your 4th generation. It's like saying you have green eye color because of your great grandmother despite both your parents and grand parents have brown eye, this just never happen but I may be wrong.

Anyway I'm also losing eyelashs and public hair, is this normal with male pattern baldness or is there something wrong ?

Hoppi

Reaction score
I greatly believe there is a HUGE health element to male pattern baldness.

IMO anything that causes hormonal imbalance can cause male pattern baldness.

I personally think the biggest culprits are candida overgrowth, "leaky gut" syndrome and liver fat.

Not too difficult to fix though luckily :)

Hoppi

s.a.f

Reaction score
Hoppi said:
I greatly believe there is a HUGE health element to male pattern baldness.

IMO anything that causes hormonal imbalance can cause male pattern baldness.

I personally think the biggest culprits are candida overgrowth, "leaky gut" syndrome and liver fat.

Not too difficult to fix though luckily :)

Hoppi

And uyet the millions of fat unhealthy NW1's would suggest otherwise as would all the bald health freaks out there.

Hoppi

Reaction score
oh for the love of...

LOOK! I am going to say this ONE last time!!

YES male pattern baldness is genetic. Of COURSE genes are involved. But if you throw your hormones out of whack it will make even the most relatively robust (but still mildly sensitive) follicles struggle against the waves of different kinds of androgens they are being bombarded with.

male pattern baldness is genetic AND hormonal! Why is that so hard for people to comprehend? >.<

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
YES male pattern baldness is genetic. Of COURSE genes are involved. But if you throw your hormones out of whack it will make even the most relatively robust (but still mildly sensitive) follicles struggle against the waves of different kinds of androgens they are being bombarded with.

I think the issue here is that it's a matter of degree: what does it take for someone to "throw his hormones out of whack" to the extent that it will actually cause male pattern baldness? Eating an ice cream cone or having candida won't do it, but taking HUGE amounts of steroids as a bodybuilder certainly might! :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
idontwanttobebalding said:
Why can't hormone ratios and levels in the body be heritable?....in fact, why couldn't that ratio and those levels help shape genetic expression?....in fact, why couldn't epigenetic factors (lifestyle, enviroment, diet as examples) actually change those levels and ratios and therefore....change the expression of your genes? from what would typically be expressed?

I think all those things can happen. Just not to the extent that they can have any really significant effect on balding. At least, I don't know of any real scientific evidence to believe otherwise.

A number of times over the years I've "guesstimated" on hairloss forums like this that dietary factors may be responsible for maybe 5% or so of the tendency towards balding. I doubt that it amounts to much more than that, despite the popularity of certain individuals (cough::"Immortal Hair"::cough) who firmly believe in eating special diets and taking lots and lots of dietary supplements! :)

Hoppi

Reaction score
If you significantly increase toxins in the body such as with Candida overgrowth or to an even greater extent with leaky gut, you WILL make your liver struggle and therefore you WILL have surplus hormones (androgens and otherwise).

I am not making this stuff up it's PROVEN MEDICAL SCIENCE and reality.

Whether you believe this is enough to cause androgenetic alopecia is up to you, but do consider that a very large number of individuals with Androgenetic Alopecia do seem to have some kind of underlying health concern such as stress, IBS, or general signs of an unhealthy digestive tract such as excess gas and bloating.

I dunno guys, you can believe me or not but the above IS true.

Sorry :(

I dunno why you are all so opposed to raw logic but it does make constructive conversation significantly more difficult!!

Apparently when my friend cleared out a whole bunch of candida with a cleanse, his hair loss stopped for a few days. Not saying that's necessarily true or not, I'm just parroting, but I certainly found it interesting :)

jh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
If you significantly increase toxins in the body such as with Candida overgrowth or to an even greater extent with leaky gut, you WILL make your liver struggle and therefore you WILL have surplus hormones (androgens and otherwise).

I am not making this stuff up it's PROVEN MEDICAL SCIENCE and reality.

Whether you believe this is enough to cause androgenetic alopecia is up to you, but do consider that a very large number of individuals with Androgenetic Alopecia do seem to have some kind of underlying health concern such as stress, IBS, or general signs of an unhealthy digestive tract such as excess gas and bloating.

I dunno guys, you can believe me or not but the above IS true.

Sorry :(

I dunno why you are all so opposed to raw logic but it does make constructive conversation significantly more difficult!!

Apparently when my friend cleared out a whole bunch of candida with a cleanse, his hair loss stopped for a few days. Not saying that's necessarily true or not, I'm just parroting, but I certainly found it interesting :)

Hoppi,

Why should people have "constructive conversations" regarding your "raw logic?" Your "logic" has failed you. Every. Single. Time.

But I'll bite. You talk about all this scientific evidence for leaky gut and candida causing "surplus hormones." Please share it.

And please explain why, even if there were "surplus hormones," your body wouldn't simply slow their production? It's what happens to body builders and athletes - who do have surplus hormones - while cycling steroids.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Hoppi said:

Seriously how could you tell?? male pattern baldness is such a slow progression it can only be measured over the course of months or years.

baldinglikeamofo

Established Member
Reaction score
niff1239 said:
Hi,

I'm 26 and I've noticed hair loss for one year (it may have started earlier though). It looks like male pattern baldness because only the vertex and crown are losing density (i'm losing hair everywhere on my head but it's more visible at the vertex).
However there's no history of male pattern baldness in my family, not even one member. My father (almost 60) is NW1. Both my gradfathers have very good density (over 90 yo). Same applies for my uncles : all of them are NW1, not even a slight of balding. I haven't known the parents of my grandparents but looking at old photos and according to my parents, they weren't suffering from male pattern baldness.

My life hygiene is terrible : too much junk food, tobacco and cannabis, lot of masturbation (more than once a day for the last 10 years).

Here are my questions :
1. Is my hairloss can be something else than male pattern baldness ? A doctor told me yes it's male pattern baldness because of my vertex and another one said it could be something else.

2. Can you suffer from male pattern baldness when you haveno history of male pattern baldness in your family (not even one) ?

3. Am I the only one in this situation ? If some other people are also suffering from genetic hairloos (male pattern baldness) with no balding in their family, I would like to know what kind of hairloss they are experiencing and if they have/had a decent hygiene life.

Thanks very much. :punk:

out of curiosity, what ethnicity are you?

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Whether male pattern baldness is genetic is a theory.

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Whether male pattern baldness is genetic is a theory. Adversed conditions that occur during the course of a lifetime are not primarily genetic. This is simply due to the fact that genes are chemically incapable of switching by themselves.

The following (among others) were previously thought to be 'genetic':

cervical cancer - later found to be caused by a virus
diabetis Type 2 - later found to be a lifestyle disease.
breast cancer - a geneticists boldly published his finding of over 200 so-called 'mutated' genes which contribute to breast cancer. BUT a new study showed that women who keep a high level of oral hygiene are less likely to develop breast cancer which point to the possibility of bacteria or microbe as the primary causative factor.

Hoppi

Reaction score
jh said:
Hoppi,

Why should people have "constructive conversations" regarding your "raw logic?" Your "logic" has failed you. Every. Single. Time.

But I'll bite. You talk about all this scientific evidence for leaky gut and candida causing "surplus hormones." Please share it.

And please explain why, even if there were "surplus hormones," your body wouldn't simply slow their production? It's what happens to body builders and athletes - who do have surplus hormones - while cycling steroids.

Heya man - actually this is the second time I'm writing this as my super-annoying old mobile deleted pretty much my whole reply.. again! lol

I'm on the pc now though - good old reliable Google Chrome eh? ^_^

ok RIGHT! Erm, first of all yeah sorry about chopping and changing theories, I'm only learning too, you know? I'm not a health guru, I'm just a guy trying to solve the riddle his body has presented him with (and I'm very confident about the things I have learned).

Surplus hormones.. yeah. I mean as far as I'm aware scientific studies have PROVEN that a sluggish liver = hormonal imbalance. That's really all the proof I need personally, but if you want to research it to more and more detail be my guest. There seems to be a very firm connection between body fat, stress, digestive health, etc, and male pattern baldness/Androgenetic Alopecia (in my experience and as far as I can see, and I doubt it's very complicated, it just needs to be deciphered.

Weirdly, I have just noticed today that as well as me having bloating and stuff after eating lots of sugar, I also get it after fats. And as I know I also get my huge reactive episodes to eggs (particularly raw eggs).

The fat connection once again points me back at liver problems specifically such as fatty liver. So, I mean yeah I'm constantly bouncing back and forth right now between fatty/sluggish liver, and candida/leaky gut. But the inderlying idea is the same - that a toxic liver results in hormonal imbalance (both candida/leaky gut and sluggish/fatty liver would both result in significantly increased liver toxicity).

So, yeah man. I mean it's hard for me to say "yes my problem is fatty liver" or "yes my problem is leaky gut", but I think that somewhere around here is where the answer will be found, for a significant number of people who are losing hair (but not all).

Hoppi :)

jh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoppi,

I'm glad that you approach this with such enthusiasm and high spirits.

However, you were the one claiming that "surplus hormones" as the result of liver problems were the result of "PROVEN MEDICAL SCIENCE and reality." If this is true and you want "constructive conversations" it's only reasonable that you share all this "proven" science with us.

You say that "as far as I'm aware" the evidence exists, but "it's all the proof I need personally" and then complain no one wants to have a discussion with you.

And please do explain - with all these extra hormones - why the brain wouldn't detect this and slow the production of the hormones down. It happens to body builders and athletes on steroid cycles.

And why wouldn't all these extra hormones have some positive effects, too? Like why didn't I notice an increase in muscle mass or sex drive?

Hoppi

Reaction score
jh said:
Hoppi,

I'm glad that you approach this with such enthusiasm and high spirits.

However, you were the one claiming that "surplus hormones" as the result of liver problems were the result of "PROVEN MEDICAL SCIENCE and reality." If this is true and you want "constructive conversations" it's only reasonable that you share all this "proven" science with us.

You say that "as far as I'm aware" the evidence exists, but "it's all the proof I need personally" and then complain no one wants to have a discussion with you.

And please do explain - with all these extra hormones - why the brain wouldn't detect this and slow the production of the hormones down. It happens to body builders and athletes on steroid cycles.

And why wouldn't all these extra hormones have some positive effects, too? Like why didn't I notice an increase in muscle mass or sex drive?

lol I dunno man, I mean there are a handful of different androgens, and also a struggling liver would filter EVERYTHING insufficiently, including estrogens and the whole lot.

Additionally, I'm not necessarily saying this is the case for you, I simply don't know. You might be a super healthy 18 year old with male pattern baldness, in which case yeah it's probably just harsh genes. But as I say I very much believe Androgenetic Alopecia is due to a combination of genetic and hormonal factors (and inflammatory factors), and it all comes together to dictate the age and severity to which you will lose your hair.

I know I never list studies, it's mainly because I just can't be bothered lol. It's not really my job to spoon-feed people, is it? I think if people want the studies, just go and find them, they are out there. I never save studies, I just read over them quickly and then move on.

Doesn't it make sense to you though surely that when the body's chief hormone regulator is struggling, hormones aren't regulated as well? I know the body does attempt to compensate for this but.. man, if you trust it's efforts then you've got more faith in it than me!!

I think the liver needs to be functioning pretty well to ensure your hormone levels are where they should be, and things like fat, metals, toxins, bacteria and parasites all have the potential to hinder it's capacity to do this. I focus on fat and candida/leaky gut not because they're the ONLY reasons, but because to me they seem to be the most COMMON reasons :)

I don't think hormonally-triggered male pattern baldness (e.g. liver fat, etc) is complicated at all, it just needs someone to sit down and work it out.

Genetically-triggered male pattern baldness such as someone who gets it at 18 regardless of perfect health.. yes, that's very complicated and the only real solution is to actually switch off or remove those genes. Inflammation-rooted male pattern baldness I think demands it's own treatments also.

But for a very significant number of us with male pattern baldness, I believe it is HORMONALLY triggered, ie that our hormones are out of balance, even if our health may seem fairly ok.

I believe people have hair loss later in their lives NOT due to genetics, but due to deteriorating digestive health.

Hoppi

Dedge89

Reaction score
In my opinion hairloss is genetical almost all of the time but the onset and aggresiveness of it can be altered by external factors. I think this would be a fair equilibrium on the matter.

Hoppi

Reaction score
I just think the underlying susceptibility of the individual is set by your genetics, but if it's not too strong, you can make or break it with hormonal and inflammatory factors.