Is Liquid Minoxidil Causing Hearing Loss?

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
I've been using Kirkland liquid minoxidil for 4-5 months. I apply it once every day. It's usually between 1.1 and 1.4ml per day. I have a NW6 pattern so I need more than 1ml to cover it. In the past month, I feel like my hearing in my left ear is going, and I have tinnitus at times. Also, the left ear always feels like it is blocked.

I can't stop using minoxidil. How do I stop these ear issues? I recently had chest pains from minoxidil and it went away, so I believe that there must be a way to fix this. Thanks.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've been using Kirkland liquid minoxidil for 4-5 months. I apply it once every day. It's usually between 1.1 and 1.4ml per day. I have a NW6 pattern so I need more than 1ml to cover it. In the past month, I feel like my hearing in my left ear is going, and I have tinnitus at times. Also, the left ear always feels like it is blocked.

I can't stop using minoxidil. How do I stop these ear issues? I recently had chest pains from minoxidil and it went away, so I believe that there must be a way to fix this. Thanks.

If you think minoxidil is hurting your hearing, you should immediately go to a really good and knowledgeable doctor to discuss it. And probably you should stop using it.

furrydome

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@doubleindemnity search around for "propylene glycol hearing loss" (but not in quotes)

The foam versions of Rogaine/Kirkland don't contain Propylene Glycol, so you could try those

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
Update: today I woke up with both ears blocked and badly reduced hearing. I managed to unblock the right ear using an ear hair trimmer, but but the left is still compromised.

I didn't know that it was the PG causing trouble rather than the minoxidil itself. If I switch to foam, will I lose all my gains and start afresh? I've read here that the body gets used to the particular brand and formulation of minoxidil that you use.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Update: today I woke up with both ears blocked and badly reduced hearing. I managed to unblock the right ear using an ear hair trimmer, but but the left is still compromised.

I didn't know that it was the PG causing trouble rather than the minoxidil itself. If I switch to foam, will I lose all my gains and start afresh? I've read here that the body gets used to the particular brand and formulation of minoxidil that you use.

Dude does it matter? You need your hearing more than your hair. For real. You should see a doctor, and also switch

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
That's debatable. Have you ever been a single NW6 in your 20s? But ok I'll see a doctor and tell them that I have ear trouble. I might not mention the minoxidil. Who knows...it could be new hairs growing in my ears or my ears getting blocked due to something unrelated.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That's debatable. Have you ever been a single NW6 in your 20s? But ok I'll see a doctor and tell them that I have ear trouble. I might not mention the minoxidil. Who knows...it could be new hairs growing in my ears or my ears getting blocked due to something unrelated.

I think if you go deaf you won't think its debatable. Badly reduced hearing obviously needs to be checked out. Why wouldnt you mention the minoxidil to the doctor?!

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
Another update: both ears have gone bad now. The right ear's hearing is just like the left ear's. They both feel perennially blocked. Less hearing in both of them. Nasal spray didn't work and neither did the valsalva maneuver. I don't think that I'll be able to see a doctor until next week. Today was the first day that I used foam instead of liquid. I'm pretty sure that the total minoxidil quantity was higher than I would have had with the liquid. Haven't noticed a shed so far but I'm really worried about my hearing now.

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
You're not crazy OP, although very very very rare, some heart medications can cause tinnitus. Go visit an ENT.

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
I went to see a doctor. The doctor checked my ears and said that they're just full of wax, and that it's normal. The doctor said that there's no reason to suspect any hearing loss. I didn't mention the tinnitus because it has gone away now (though I should have). I was recommended to use these ear drops and it should be cleared up within 2 weeks.

If the ear drops clear everything up, am I ok to go back to liquid minoxidil?

Erland

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I went to see a doctor. The doctor checked my ears and said that they're just full of wax, and that it's normal. The doctor said that there's no reason to suspect any hearing loss. I didn't mention the tinnitus because it has gone away now (though I should have). I was recommended to use these ear drops and it should be cleared up within 2 weeks.

If the ear drops clear everything up, am I ok to go back to liquid minoxidil?

Yes, but stop again if you get the same issues again.

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
The ear drops are working. My right ear is already unblocked. There's still occasional tinnitus and the same blockage in my left ear, but I'm expecting it to pass. I think that minoxidil just blocks up your ears, the same way that it gives you a stuffy nose. So, I think that this was due to the minoxidil rather than the PG. As soon as my left ear comes back, I'm going back to the liquid (currently using foam) and maybe increasing the dose.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The ear drops are working. My right ear is already unblocked. There's still occasional tinnitus and the same blockage in my left ear, but I'm expecting it to pass. I think that minoxidil just blocks up your ears, the same way that it gives you a stuffy nose. So, I think that this was due to the minoxidil rather than the PG. As soon as my left ear comes back, I'm going back to the liquid (currently using foam) and maybe increasing the dose.

How would minoxidil block up ears with wax?

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
How would minoxidil block up ears with wax?

I don't know. But minoxidil definitely gives me a stuffy nose. It happened after more than half of all of my minoxidil applications. So, I thought that it might cause your ears to get blocked up along with your nose.

Update: It's getting worse again. My right ear just came back temporarily, but was gone the next morning. Tinnitus in the left ear is pretty severe now. I guess that the ear drops aren't working yet, but things seem to have become worse since I started using the foam (the last 3 days). I think that I might go back to a small dose of the liquid. I can't stop using minoxidil... it's just not an option.

Ryanjg

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Double indemnity.
I came across your post while researching my own hearing troubles. I'm new to this forum which explains why I'm a year late. I have been diagnosed with Meniers disease by an ENT as of October. It has nothing to do with Rogain. If you have not already done so I would go to an ENT. They will diagnose then send you to an audiologist, then an MRI, then Blood. I am not an ENT, but you are showing signs of Meniers. Good luck.

reuters

Established Member
Reaction score
i would guess that there is a number of possible reasons for you to ger wax in your ears and minoxidil should be far down on that list ;)

mantis

My Regimen
Reaction score
I used minoxidil 1 ml twice a day and felt my whole ear-nose-throat tract kind of stuffy and bloated. Also it made my head feel heavy and pumped with blood. I switched to 0.5 ml once a day, and these effects almost gone away.

I guess it increases the blood pressure in your head vessels? So, if you had problems in your ENT system prior to taking Minoxidil, it might get worse.

Evelyne

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, I was using Rogaine Women for some years and during this time I lost my hearing. It started with tinnitus and ringing in the ears. Unfortunately, my hearing did not come back when I stopped using Rogaine. It even became worse. Now I am close to a cochlea implant. I cannot proof that it's a side effect of Rogaine. But it started in this time. Is propylene glycol really ototoxic? If yes, Rogaine should not be available for everyone in drug stores.