Is laser eye surgery safe?

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score
I used to think that it was, but reading about hair transplants here made me more skeptical to unnecessary surgery in general. Do LASIK/LASEK/PRK etc. have a similar dark side? Is there a good way to check a particular clinic's reputation?

s.a.f

Reaction score
I think they're pretty safe I've had lens implants as my eyes were'nt suitable for laser surgery.
But compared to the shady world of hair transplant's theey are extremly reliable. You may not get a perfect result but you're not going to go blind or anything like that.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
I am going to get it done after Christmas.. So many friends done it and just really happy with it. So sick of contact lenses!The technology is been around for years.. and everything went cheaper.. I am thirty years old and apparently is the best age to get it done.

Fred

CCS

Reaction score
There are a lot of silent victims of cosmetic procedures. I read about it. Eye surgery is supposed to be much safer though. I think the main risk is your eyes going back to how they were before after time.

I don't need glasses, but some street signs are a bit small. I'd like to get super vision or something, and might get laser for that, but I think I might be smarter to stop while I'm ahead.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Are lasik seen as the best to go to?

s.a.f

Reaction score
There are several procedures, but it depends on the thickness of the cornea and the prescription needed.
The higher the correction the more likely that you'll need flap surgery because the shape of the lens needs to be changed more dramaticly.
I was unsuitable for both types of laser surgery and so had to have lens implants.
As far as the cost goes I'd consider it a very small price to pay.

ali777

Reaction score
A friend of mine looked into it and chickened out. I think reading horror stories is always scary and may not reflect the true statistics. As far as I know, laser surgeries have high success rate...

My dad had a cataract surgery long time ago, it wasn't successful. It's just one of those things that comes with old age...

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My wife had it done 6 yrs ago, no problems. I watched the procedure on a monitor so I got skeered afterwards. I will do it eventually.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
FWIW, a couple of my golfing buddies have had it and they see real well now. It's been a few years since they had their surgeries and they haven't had any "complications".

If only it would correct my "old man" reading glasses problem! But it doesn't. :(

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
For all my bad genes this is one I don't actually carry. I have great vision although the bad gene is somewhere in the family.

CCS

Reaction score
Can you focus at multiple distances too?

My right eye is 20/25: It can see from 20 feet what normal people can see at 25 feet. My left eye is 20/20, but still not as good as I wish it was. When I'm trying to pick out a spinter or identify a small bump on my skin, I notice my eyes are not as good as I'd like them to be. Close though.

Do you think laser surgery could give me above average vision? How much does it cost? I wish they had something to improve color vision too.

s.a.f

Reaction score
CCS said:
Do you think laser surgery could give me above average vision?

:mrgreen: