Is It Worth Getting Fue Now Or Waiting For A New Technology?

CamBam

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am asking as was considering getting an FUE procedure done but seeing in many leading newspapers (https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...hair-loss-research-balding-medical-treatments) that we seem to be on the verge of a breakthrough in stem cell technology. I'm actually seeing some Turkish FUE clinics already advertising it.

How far are we from a breakthrough where we wont need to transplant hair but simply awaken sleeping defunct hair follicles through technologies such as stem cell?

Is there any other breakthrough that I need to be aware of as I dont follow the forum daily.

Thank you all in advance!

Folliman

Established Member
Reaction score
We don't really need a scientific breakthrough, we already know how to regrow dormant hair. At this point it's just a matter of waiting for substances to get legal status to get them safely without impurities.

I'd at least wait for fevi's 2020 NDA results first. If it's approved, it's going to be big. I wouldn't expect anything else in the next few years.

jumpingjackgazz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
We don't really need a scientific breakthrough, we already know how to regrow dormant hair. At this point it's just a matter of waiting for substances to get legal status to get them safely without impurities.

I'd at least wait for fevi's 2020 NDA results first. If it's approved, it's going to be big. I wouldn't expect anything else in the next few years.

fevi's ???

Balding curse

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you are a norwood 3-4 with a thick hair get a transplant other than that you are fucked up.

RU serious

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you get it now then when new treatment does come out you can just be focused on maintaining rather than regrowing

CamBam

My Regimen
Reaction score

What is the Fevi you are referring to Folliman?

That's a great question. If you will be satisfied with your hair after an FUE then you might as well go for it now rather than wait for something that may or may not come. If it will make you happy then you're just wasting your time by not doing it now. There isn't anything big in the pipeline that is certain to arrive soon. Hair multiplication could be available in Japan in a couple years, *possibly* as early as next year, but it will be very expensive and may still be several years down the road. We're awaiting trial data from Shiseido, which could be out any day now or never. We have have no idea how effective their cell based treatment will be or if they will even move forward with it in its current form. If they do it should be available next year. You would think if they were planning commercialization they would've published their study results by now, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that either.

On the drug side, we have several different ones in the pipeline, but probably nothing worth waiting a couple years over. Fevipiprant and other PGD2 inhibitors are not going to do any better in efficacy than 5ARIs since PGD2 is downstream of DHT. The safety profile will be different if that's a factor for you. SM04554 could make an impact in combination with finasteride, minoxidil and microneedling. CB is like a topical finasteride without side effects. Follica is the biggest non-cell therapy breakthrough. You can get yourself a microneedling device and minoxidl, and do it now. If you haven't done it yet, it's worth trying so you can save some grafts.

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for ;) Could you explain how the microneedling + minoxid will save grafts? Could it potentially revive a small amount of hair follicles? Would I need to keep on doing the process forevermore once the regrow or will they keep alive permanently?

Also, would I be able to benefit from any of these future technologies were I to get an FUE as from what I understand, this procedure destroys the existing dead folices in your transplant area.

If you are a norwood 3-4 with a thick hair get a transplant other than that you are fucked up.

Im a Norwood 5 at least. Guess i'm fucked then! lol

If you get it now then when new treatment does come out you can just be focused on maintaining rather than regrowing

The question is would I be able to benefit from any future technologies were I to get an FUE as from what I understand, this procedure destroys the existing dead folices in your transplant area.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
Depending on your hair status and if you are a good transplant candidate, I would carefully select the right surgeon. You're only young once, better to take advantage of a situation if you can.

However, this is all relative to how aggressive your male pattern baldness is, if you are on treatments, did you select a good and ethical surgeon, etc.

CamBam

My Regimen
Reaction score
Fevi is fevipiprant. It's an asthma drug that blocks the PGD2 receptor. It wasn't successful in its latest trial, but might still make it to market.

Microneedling doesn't just revive dormant follicles, it creates new follices, so you wouldn't have to use as many grafts. Although if you're a NW5 you are going to need all your grafts and some. You should be able to maintain the new hairs with just finasteride. I don't think it would be wise to microneedle for at least 6 months to a year after getting a hair transplant, but after that you should be able to get the same benefits from it. As for the other coming drugs that only work on reviving dormant follicles, that is a different story. There shouldn't be any problem with hair multiplication either, but of course there hasn't been any testing, so there always could be a challenge that is overlooked.

I've seen some impressive FUEs for NW5s, but you're probably going to want to regrow as much hair as you can from treatments first if you want results that will make you happy long-term. With the combination of microneedling, minoxidil, and finasteride there's a real good chance you can get back to NW3 in a year, and then you can get excellent results with FUE. Some people won't get much regrowth, but then you could get really lucky like this guy https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/one-year-fighting-hairloss-as-a-norwood-7.122808/

Wow that truly looks amazing. Will start dermarolling & minoxidil asap. is it worth getting on finastride as well?

Last question, is LLLT worth looking into? I can get it done locally and was wondering whether its worth the money

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow that truly looks amazing. Will start dermarolling & minoxidil asap. is it worth getting on finastride as well?

Last question, is LLLT worth looking into? I can get it done locally and was wondering whether its worth the money

Yes, you should definitely add finasteride otherwise you are fighting an unwinnable battle at the end of the day. See how far finasteride, minoxidil and dermarolling takes you and decide whether to get a transplant or possibly go for a more extreme regimen.

CamBam

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies.

Spent the past few days researching Finastride and it seems people's side-effects are wildly different.

Ive seen YouTube videos where docs state that you dont need more than 0.5g every 3 days and that at that dosage side effects are minimal. But ive also seen posts on here of horrendous side effects and some that simply do not go away following discontinuation of finasteride which is quite scary. So yes hair loss is important, but i've been shaving my head for 10 years so im past that stage of risking my health (short or long term) because im so terrified of losing so much hair that I have to shave.

I did come across some interesting stuff when I was researching alternatives to finasteride such as Emu Oil and Zix. The Emu Oil especially looks interesting as the fatty acids in Emu Oil are inhibitors of 5 alpha reductase and DHT production. Does anyone have any experience using it?

After all the research ive done, ive come to the following conclusion in terms of routine. Any feedback would be appreciated:

1. Dermarolling once a week with a 0.5mm needle
2. Minoxidl twice per day, and at least 24h after dermarolling
3. Emu Oil twice per day
4. Deciem hair serum twice per day (I saw a post about it on this forum)
5. 10,000 mcg Biotin per day
6. 10,000 iu Vitamind D3 per day
7. Hand-held scalp vibrator one a week (to break up the calcium in my scalp)

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I guess it depends on your stage of hair loss, what you're willing to do in the future, how much you want to spend, etc.

I know that as a NW6-7, I could have multiple FUEs done if I wanted to and had the money, but I refuse to take any kind of oral drug that changes my hormones, so I am doing nothing until hair cloning comes out. For someone like me, I will only treat my hair loss in one way and that is with a one-and-done-for-life procedure. I am not interested in anything else. The good news is that when hair cloning does come out, I won't need to take finasteride or any oral drug to save any remaining hair, because I barely have any. It'll be full cloning and implantation for me, one and done.

Felipe302

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes it is worth it to get FUE now.

In fact, if you go to the top surgeons in Spain (best in the world) like Juan Couto (fueexpert) or Jose Lorenzo (Injerto Capilar) you can probably solve your problem without even needing those new treatments.

Sometimes i feel like most guys in this forum could solve their situation with a hair transplant performed by one of those best surgeons in the world. Don't have money for that?? What makes you think u will have money for the new treatments? They will probably be more expensive than those top hair transplants.

ComeBackTemples

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have heard about good Surgeons in Spain, north America, Belgium and Turkey. However, Korea is New to me but Sounds absolutely interesting. Do you have a recommendation of to whom to go to?

CamBam

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes it is worth it to get FUE now.

In fact, if you go to the top surgeons in Spain (best in the world) like Juan Couto (fueexpert) or Jose Lorenzo (Injerto Capilar) you can probably solve your problem without even needing those new treatments.

Sometimes i feel like most guys in this forum could solve their situation with a hair transplant performed by one of those best surgeons in the world. Don't have money for that?? What makes you think u will have money for the new treatments? They will probably be more expensive than those top hair transplants.

Hola Felipe,

I did actually get a quote from Dr. Lorenzo a few years ago but if I remember correctly it was something around the EUR 10,000 mark for the procedure. Yes he is reknowned for his work but I simply do not have that type of money. I have seen some Turkish FUE docs have amazing results for a fraction of the price

I don't know, but I have this sinking feeling that you're Spanish lol

The best FUE results I've seen have been from this one asian surgeon in America, but I can't recall his name. You can get great results though in many places for less money such as Turkey, Korea, and Spain.

Cambam, you're ultimately fighting a losing battle if you don't use finasteride. If you're not inhibiting DHT minoxidil results fade after a year. There's really no getting around it, but the side effects are not as common as people would have you believe, nor are they as bad. Don't make a decision based on fear. Read the clinical evidence regarding side effects here https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5023004/

Also, I don't know what doctor said finasteride can be taken once every few days, but he's a quack. Finasteride has a half life of 5-6 hours. It needs to be taken daily. You can take as little as .2mg daily and have an effect, but you must take it daily. Dutasteride has a longer half life and can be taken once a week.

Thanks again Pegasus. Your advice is invaluable for a hair loss newbie like me. With regards to which doctor recommened that particular dosage, its actually Dr. Russell Knudsen. He says is right here along with a breakdown as to WHY he recommends that particular dosage.

He breaks it down at 4:56

: