Is It Worth Getting Blood Tests Or Is Ot Always male pattern baldness?

Notanuther1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Going to see a derm in mid November. I am 16 but I have weird thinning on sides and forehead looks bigger. Both parents have balding. Yippee. Anyway, Mom had her thyroid out in early 20s bc of disease. I eat like crap. A lot of fast food. I am pretty thin. Tired a lot.

So did anyone have certain blood tests to rule out things other than male pattern baldness or that might cause it to be worse? Is worth it? Does diet really have crap to do with hairloss?

Last edited:

abcdefg

Reaction score
I ate crap when I was 18 all the time. I had zero hair loss so I really personally dont think diet is why people go bald. I eat better today, and coincidentally at older age I am going bald now.
The truth is we really dont know. Dont over analyze a problem with almost zero answers. If your going big time bald, and its obvious, and it bothers you a lot than talk to derm about it. If hair loss isnt a big deal or its very minor maybe waiting or accepting it are the right choices.
Unlike buying socks there is no one size fits all solution for male pattern baldness.
Is your bad diet causing your body hair and facial hair to fall out and get thinner? If its not than its not the cause of your male pattern baldness either.

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Maybe a bad diet can contribute some thinning but not permanent hair loss. Even then you'd have to be majorly deficient in certain things for a bad diet to affect your hair.
As for the bloods, I don't see any harm getting them done. You'd know for sure then the cause and what the appropriate solution is. I mean I wouldn't advise taking something like finasteride unless it's male pattern baldness.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
At 16 male pattern baldness is not common. If you have other issues going on it is best to get analyzed. You may have hyperthyroidism.

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did your maternal grandpa and maternal uncles went bald early,in 20s or mid 20s.? If yes then your are heading towards them. Be proactive. See professional.

Last edited:

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Get bloods. The fact you're tired all the time and sides are thinning could well mean a thyroid issue.

Notanuther1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did your maternal grandpa and maternal uncles went bald early,in 20s or mid 20s.? If yes then your are heading towards them. Be proactive. See professional.

Dad is bald. Not sure how soon it started late 20's early 30's. My mother has hair loss since 42. I am screwed I guess.