is it true transplant last only couple of years

G

so hair transplant docs can give you a 14 year old hairline if you are nw2 or less? that would take like 80% of the available donor follicles though wouldn't it?

CCS

Reaction score
If you lower your hair line 8mm, and bring it in 8mm, and that all adds up to 22cm of length, that is 1050 grafts to get 60 per cm2, which can be done in 2 procedures of 30 per cm2, or 30, 20, 10, if you want the last one small for a smaller scar.

The back of your head can donate 4000-8000 FU depending on its density and laxity. I've had 4000 taken and it looks like it always has. I think I will be safe with 1050 more that I plan to do.

So get out your ruler and see how far you have to bring it down and in, and do the math. I had 6x that much area filled in, but it was not all at 60 FU per cm2. It was mostly 30-50. But my hairline will be 60, and i'll try to regrow some hair up higher. it looks OK now.

CCS

Reaction score
I think you should wait a year and see what the meds can do.

Gorpy

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, you're right, it is a matter of personal taste. However, transplants are limited by donar hair availability, which limits both density and coverage. Until hair multiplication that limit will exist.

G

collegechemistrystudent said:
I think you should wait a year and see what the meds can do.

who were you addressing this to college?

G

College,
what do you guys think of this guys post-transplant hairline from HLH? What Norwood do you think he was before and what Norwood is he now? I think his hairline looks fantastic now. A lot of people on HLH said it was crazy to put 5150 graphs into an NW2. What do you think?

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/atta ... line%2Ejpg

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/atta ... lose%2Ejpg

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/atta ... ose2%2Ejpg

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/atta ... shot%2Ejpg

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/atta ... mple%2Ejpg

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/atta ... mple%2Ejpg

htownballa

Established Member
Reaction score
Jayman, I read that same thread on HLH and was considering posting it here lol. I don't think that guy is a NW2, his hairline might be NW3 or NW2.75. Notice he has a kind of "island" appearance pre-hair transplant. Also, he had lots of diffuse thinning on top which ate away a lot of grafts.\

One thing is for sure, Armani does aggressive hair transplants on younger patients. I mean the guy in the pics was 23 and got over 5000 grafts!!! Looks great now, I hope he continues to look that way though.

haleystudios

Reaction score
it might be possible in a norwood 3v

i am going to Armani with 2 procedures, 6000-7000 to get my original hair back and yes it will thin in the future when the meds where off. i had 1750 grafts from those butchers at MHR.

i may need less than that now since i have been on finasteride for a year, rogaine a couple of weeks and nizoral 3 months.

if the surgery goes well, and the yield is over 95 %, great hair characteristics, enough donor, you can look like you did at 14, but it probably wont last long.

i am hoping that HM becomes a reality, but i will shave my hairs anyway to a 3 guard if it doesnt, or do BHT.

oh my, people are going to hate me now for saying this, lol

i do thank you all for you great knowledge and saving me from going back to MHR

CCS

Reaction score
Very few people can donate 8000 hairs. you already did almost 2000 and are thinking about up to 7000 more. I think your donor area will look really thin afterwards.

As for the guy in the pics, he was diffuse before and is still diffuse, though he looks good. I'm amazed that was 5000 grafts. At least i have an idea what my hair will look like. It is not too bad. Just a bit thin in the hair line.

yeah, if I go Norwood 6, i'm kind of screwed even if i have extra grafts. the fact is, 30 grafts per cm2 over the top of a nw5 is just good for looking normal at work. I'd rather shave my head at that point. I see no point in saving grafts for the top of my head. If I need them, they will not go far at all. look how little 3000 did to the very front of my head. no way will another 3000 do anything to the top of my head. If drugs don't stop my top from going, I'll just shave it off. Until then, I'm going to thicken up the hair line.

htownballa

Established Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
Very few people can donate 8000 hairs. you already did almost 2000 and are thinking about up to 7000 more. I think your donor area will look really thin afterwards.

As for the guy in the pics, he was diffuse before and is still diffuse, though he looks good. I'm amazed that was 5000 grafts. At least i have an idea what my hair will look like. It is not too bad. Just a bit thin in the hair line.

yeah, if I go Norwood 6, i'm kind of screwed even if i have extra grafts. the fact is, 30 grafts per cm2 over the top of a nw5 is just good for looking normal at work. I'd rather shave my head at that point. I see no point in saving grafts for the top of my head. If I need them, they will not go far at all. look how little 3000 did to the very front of my head. no way will another 3000 do anything to the top of my head. If drugs don't stop my top from going, I'll just shave it off. Until then, I'm going to thicken up the hair line.

How are you going to shave your head after a hair transplant?? Do you not have a scar on the back of your head? BTW your top will eventually go im sure...

CCS

Reaction score
propecia alone maintains hair in a large majority of men. only a fraction of men loose hair after hair transplant while on propecia. I think they can avoid it if they use more topicals.

haleystudios

Reaction score
hey chemistrystudent,

yes, thats probably true from what other surgeons extract, but everything to my knowledge is based upon what was told from me from Armani's clinic.

he doesnt extract hair like other doctors. he goes more from ear to ear. they told me that it will not look thin at all. they told me i could meet many patients who have had that many grafts taking out without it looking thin. since he goes longer from ear to ear, the height of the strip top to bottom is alot smaller. i will get tri done to grow through the scar as well.

Gorpy

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what Armani is doing by making that statement. All of the top doctors take a long narrow strip (from ear to ear) now. For example, mine is 27cm long.

I think what CCS is saying is there might be a thin look after taking 8000+ grafts from the donar area. I don't really know. There are very few patients that have had that kind of graft count taken out.

CCS

Reaction score
8000fu x 1cm2/100fu /27cm = about 3cm wide of donor area. I'm not sure how far the skin stretches, but lets say that 3 cm on either side stretch in to fill that. Then that is 2/3 density left. I guess that is not too bad. It may only be 50% Who knows what that looks like.

Jayman, it is hard for me to say what his norwood is when I can't see his nose to get a ratio. He also was diffuse, especially in the corners, if you are talking about all those links you posted. Probably NW2 ish, but many grafts were put on top, I think.

G

I had my first hair transplant in early 1996 with Dr. Ron Shapiro. He did some very nice work on my hairline and it's still growing to this day. My second hair transplant was in 2001, the third in 2002. To date that's been 4400 grafts still growing to date, just up until this past Wednesday.

I just got back in town from having my fourth hair transplant procedure. I had just a tad under 2500 strip grafts with Dr. Ron Shapiro this past week! Everything went great and I will be posting a new thread with pics as soon as I get my copies from his clinic. Awesome experience and will share complete details later! :D

Hair follicules in the permanent donor areas (including body zones) basically carry a predisposed genetic resistence to both types of DHT. Just last month I saw another guy who had 4mm plugs in the mid-seventies and they are still growing. Obviously I do not see this back dated work very often any more, but every now and then it still shows up and I am still amazed that it is still growing even though it has no aesthetic appeal.

G

I need to clarify another very important point. Is it possible for someone to lose transplanted hair years after their procedure? Sure it's possible but it is extremely rare and usually associated or brought on with another medical issue the patient is experiencing.

One more thing. Any one who has any family history of extensive thinning in the donor zones should never get a hair transplant for the obvious reasons.

CCS

Reaction score
gillenator,

how wide have your scars been in back, top to bottom?

I read on dr armani's site that he can do 70-120 grafts per cm2 in one session because the FUE grafts are so small. Aren't all micro grafts supposed to be small? I think 30 per cm2 is the standard for strip procedures. Do high density FUE procedures have at least a 95% survivial rate?

Do you know the diameter of the hair follicle near the bottom? I'm just wondering how small FUE holes are.