Is it too late for Propecia?

WonderDrug

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have male pattern baldness which came on really suddenly this summer, lost a massive amount of my crown over the space of just a couple of months when beforehand it was absolutely fine, no receding in my hairline at all as far as I've noticed.
My crown has the appearance of a 'bald spot' but is really covered all over in the fine hairs you get pre the follicle dying and actually feels hardly any different to the touch (I buzz my hair to around 3mm all over).

After umming and ahhing for a few week I hopped on the Propecia bus last week (no noticeable sides yet) but am worried whether the follicles may be too far gone for me to claw my crown back?

Anyone any experience of this.

Attachments

• 20141221_163346.jpg
    20141221_163346.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 2,167

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair loss seems aggressive and Propecia should help. However, if you get on The Big Three but replace Finasteride with Dutasteride, you should get major improvements.

viet nom nom

Established Member
Reaction score
It seems you have reasonable coverage, and if you have fine hairs in the baldspot, you should jump on finasteride and try to get it stabilized. You don't know if its too late til you try.

I'm gonna disagree with the others and say that minoxidil is second-line and should only be used if your results suck after a full year. You probably won't lose anymore on finasteride, so wait and find out the full result.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
you can start it. If you get good regrowth with the big 3 you can think about a hair transplant down the line

WonderDrug

Reaction score
Thanks guys, as stated I'm about 10 days into using finasteride now, bought a 3 month supply initially with the plan to continue if I get no sides.
Have actually been using minoxidil for a couple of years (since a colleague commented on thinning in the front) but it seems to do nothing for me as I lost my crown whilst on it. Will continue trying it in conjunction with finasteride though and see where I am in 12 months.

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks guys, as stated I'm about 10 days into using finasteride now, bought a 3 month supply initially with the plan to continue if I get no sides.
Have actually been using minoxidil for a couple of years (since a colleague commented on thinning in the front) but it seems to do nothing for me as I lost my crown whilst on it. Will continue trying it in conjunction with finasteride though and see where I am in 12 months.

Not everyone responds to Minoxidil, discontinue its use if you didn't get any results from it after four months. I suggest to use a Ketoconazole shampoo, it should help to stabilize scalp conditions.

About Finasteride, a good responder should have their hair loss halted after 2-3 months, sometimes 6 months. If you're still losing hair after one year of using Finasteride, switch to Dutasteride. The response from Dutasteride should be much more effective.

WonderDrug

Reaction score
I'm not actually currently losing any as far as I can tell.
I shed like mad over a month or so in the summer (resulting in the losses seen in my picture above) and then it just appears to have halted as far as I can tell. Although I buzzed my hair a little after it appeared to stop so it may just be that losses are less noticeable on my hand, towel etc. with my shorter hair

WonderDrug

Reaction score
Just thought I'd stick in a quick update as I'm around the one month mark.
No sides as far as I can tell, the consistency of my **** has been a lot less solid the last week or so but I doubt that's linked.

No shedding and no noticeable loss, I've grown my hair out to about 5mm which actually looks better than the 2.5 mm cut in my first post.
Anyway, was trimming it this morning under the harsh lighting in my bathroom and noticed the area at the front, just behind the 'island' seems to look a bit healthier and fuller.
Hopefully the start of something!
Will update with pics around 3 months.

tiki203

Reaction score
I would probably switch to dutasteride eventually assuming you get no sides, but that's just me. You certainly aren't passed the so called "point of no return" so you should be good either way

WonderDrug

Reaction score
Hi guys, just thought I'd update this.
had some personal problems around feb/march and my regime suffered so I got back on it around the end of March and have been consistent since.

Picture from today:
dseHJEh.jpg

Hair is more grown out obviously, but not a lot of change thus far, although my girlfriend (who doesn't know I'm on Propecia) commented a couple of weeks back that she could see some baby hair regrowth in areas that were previously a lot barer.

Going to give it a full 12 months (March 2016) and see where I'm at from there.

and_d

Reaction score
It just so happens that it is March 2016 :) Since I'm considering the same, wondering if you have an update?