Is It Time To Let Go Of My Hair?? Finas/minoxidil Or A Buzz Cut?

Bk98

My Regimen
Reaction score
24 years old and I'm currently on the fence about giving up my fight against hair loss.
Heres my story, I've had a slightly receded hairline since I was about 17/18 however I've always had a thick head of hair... when I turned 21 my hair started heading downhill real fast. Take a look at the photos, my head is starting to look like a baboon's ***.
I started using the products pictured below roughly a year and a few months ago however I wasn't the most organized and did the products as I remembered throughout each day. Needless to say I was skipping days and my consistency was not the best. As a result, roughly 3 months ago I began marking a calendar everyday to keep myself organized and I have been almost 100% consistent for 3 months. However I'm beginning to think I'm wasting my time using these products. My hair feels worse each day and I have zero improvements. The local company I brought them from claims how they are "all-natural" products..yet none of them are FDA approved.
I'm at the point where I feel like I need to start using finasteride and minoxidil if I want to see any results. This stuff I'm using now and the helmet kind of just feels like a waste of time. Not to mention I feel like some character from the movie Tron when I'm wearing this helmet...like is this even doing anything??lol

I guess I'm looking to hear from hopefully a few people who are currently using finasteride/minoxidil. I know it affects everyone differently but I am just worried about the possibility of running into sexual issues. I currently have no issues with my libido or ability to maintain an erection. I have read some horror stories online about people using these products and then having long term sexual side effects even after they quit the drugs. I probably sound a little neurotic right now but honestly that freaks me out. The thought of regaining my awesome hair I had as a teenager really pumps me up, but not at the cost of sex.
I am in good shape, I eat well and am overall pretty healthy. Hopefully if I try these products and experience issues I could just stop and slowly go back to normal?

Thanks for taking the time to read this everyone because I'm kind of stuck and not sure what to do...all I know is I need to either buzz my head or keep going with products because I'm starting to feel like my co-worker; who is significantly bald and keeps his hair long to rock that "comb-over" look.... yikes, and I think I'm close to that unfortunately.

Attachments

• IMG-2414.JPG
    IMG-2414.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG-2416.JPG
    IMG-2416.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG-2417.JPG
    IMG-2417.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG-2418.JPG
    IMG-2418.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG-2420.JPG
    IMG-2420.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG-2423.JPG
    IMG-2423.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG-3141.JPG
    IMG-3141.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG-3151.JPG
    IMG-3151.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG-3153.JPG
    IMG-3153.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
Many OTC products are bogus and do nothing. Finasteride and minoxidil works in 50% people. I suggest u dermarolling and minoxidil 5%. I do the same . don't touch finasteride unless u are prepared to take.

otis mcdonald

My Regimen
Reaction score
You definitely have enough hair to get on treatments. If you jump on 1mg finasteride and 5% minoxidil twice a day you should keep what you have and possibly thicken it up

Bk98

My Regimen
Reaction score
Many OTC products are bogus and do nothing. Finasteride and minoxidil works in 50% people. I suggest u dermarolling and minoxidil 5%. I do the same . don't touch finasteride unless u are prepared to take.

What kind of minoxidil do you use? Generic brands or rogaine? Maybe just adding minoxidil/dermarolling into this regimen I’m currently using could show me some results?

And what do you mean by, “unless I’m prepared to take it?” I’m assuming you’re referring to the possible side effects? Have you tried it?

Bk98

My Regimen
Reaction score
You definitely have enough hair to get on treatments. If you jump on 1mg finasteride and 5% minoxidil twice a day you should keep what you have and possibly thicken it up

Do you personally use either of these products?
I would like to give them a try but I am trying to justify taking the risk of the finasteride side effects.

otis mcdonald

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you personally use either of these products?
I would like to give them a try but I am trying to justify taking the risk of the finasteride side effects.

I’m on finasteride. I’ve been on it for about 8 months. I felt a bit groggy at first but that soon went and I don’t have any side effects. Definitely worth getting on imo as if you don’t in a few years time you’ll be looking at these pictures and thinking ‘damn I had okay hair then why didn’t I try and save it’

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
What kind of minoxidil do you use? Generic brands or rogaine? Maybe just adding minoxidil/dermarolling into this regimen I’m currently using could show me some results?

And what do you mean by, “unless I’m prepared to take it?” I’m assuming you’re referring to the possible side effects? Have you tried it?
No,I didn't and would not try it. I use minoxidil foam generic And dermarolling!

Bk98

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m on finasteride. I’ve been on it for about 8 months. I felt a bit groggy at first but that soon went and I don’t have any side effects. Definitely worth getting on imo as if you don’t in a few years time you’ll be looking at these pictures and thinking ‘damn I had okay hair then why didn’t I try and save it’

That’s a fair point. The last 6 months my hair has gotten noticeably worse. So I imagine in a year from now I will be in rough shape if I don’t start something..
And that’s reassuring to hear from someone who hasn’t had any side effects. Have you regrown any hair or just maintained what you have?

otis mcdonald

My Regimen
Reaction score
That’s a fair point. The last 6 months my hair has gotten noticeably worse. So I imagine in a year from now I will be in rough shape if I don’t start something..
And that’s reassuring to hear from someone who hasn’t had any side effects. Have you regrown any hair or just maintained what you have?

Tbh it’s kinda hard to tell which I guess is a good thing. Means at worse its slowed down my balding. I’m probably going to jump on minoxidil over the next few months to thicken things up a bit.

The thing is IMO there is a much bigger difference from your hair now to fully bald then there is from a full head of hair to your hair atm if that makes sense. What I mean is to many people you probably appear more or less the same as you did when you had more hair (obviously people can tell but you get my drift). However if you wait and go bald your appearance will change drastically. Sure it’s not the end of the world but worth thinking about

Last edited:

DiffThinner35

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're hair's not that bad.

I'd strongly suggest you start using propecia (finasteride) and minoxidil. Some even have great success with dermarollers.
But start today when there's still something to save. If you delay, there might be nothing to save.

And if you want some more instant density try toppik or dermmatch. It does wonders.

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
Care to elaborate on why you would not try finasteride? I’m assuming because your results from minoxidil and dermarolling is good enough?
I have started dermarolling and minoxidil two months ago ,I am waiting for results and i will give it enough try. If that will not help me I will accept the situation and move on. No way I use finasteride in any scenario.