Is it t/e ratios and dht that are the problem?

bubka

Reaction score
it could be a potential risk, because of the age of the drug; however, given that is is similar to a drug that has been out for nearly 20 years, science can conclude that there are likely no risks, and evince to say it could actually prevent types of cancer

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
bubka said:
it could be a potential risk, because of the age of the drug; however, given that is is similar to a drug that has been out for nearly 20 years, science can conclude that there are likely no risks, and evince to say it could actually prevent types of cancer

the 5arI is not similar

G

hair today gone tomorrow said:
bubka said:

the 5arI is not similar

omg 5ar1

i am scared

you think you know more than my doctor?

he didn't even mention it before agreeing to prescribe it.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
JayMan said:
bubka said:

the 5arI is not similar

omg 5ar1

i am scared

chances are your Doctor doesnt know sh*t about hair loss.
he doesnt know the long term effects of dutasteride, no one does.

heck, my Doctor told me the long-term effects of even finasteride are unknown and that im taking a potential risk....

G

JayMan said:
[quote="hair today gone tomorrow":e7844]
bubka said:

the 5arI is not similar

omg 5ar1

i am scared

chances are your Doctor doesnt know $#iT about hair loss.
he doesnt know the long term effects of dutasteride, no one does.

heck, my Doctor told me the long-term effects of even finasteride are unknown and that im taking a potential risk....[/quote:e7844]

he knows more than you buddy. he's a dermopathologist and has studied hair loss in detail.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
JayMan said:
bubka said:

the 5arI is not similar

omg 5ar1

i am scared

o and another thing...95% of docs would not prescribe dutasteride for hair loss b/c of the fact that it wasn't tested thoroughly enough for this purpose

so does that mean *your* Doctor knows more than *most* docs....didnt think so.

G

o and another thing...95% of docs would not prescribe dutasteride for hair loss b/c of the fact that it wasn't tested thoroughly enough for this purpose

if that was really concerning to you then you wouldn't be talking about getting a script from medicalwellnesscenter... take the advice of the docs and stay off dutasteride buddy, it's dangerous! :lol:

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
JayMan said:

if that was really concerning to you then you wouldn't be talking about getting a script from medicalwellnesscenter... take the advice of the docs and stay off dutasteride buddy, it's dangerous! :lol:

Im gonna talk to my doctor about it first and see what he has to say...then ill make a decision. If i do decide to take it...then I know Im taking a risk.

G

JayMan said:
[quote="hair today gone tomorrow":28935]

Im gonna talk to my doctor about it first and see what he has to say...then ill make a decision. If i do decide to take it...then I know Im taking a risk.[/quote:28935]

if i really thought there was a chance of real damage to me in the future from taking dutasteride then i wouldn't be on it. i don't.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
okay well the fact that their test is higher only reinforces my point that testosterone is not really the culprit. i'd think that their hormonal profiles would be more similar to dutasteride users actually because of the more complete inhibiition of 5ar2.

There's a very lengthy and comprehensive article about the pseudohermaphrodites in the journal Nature which discussed something that never gets mentioned on hairloss sites: not all of them necessarily have ZERO 5a-reductase type 2 activity! :freaked:

There are different mutations around the world in the gene that codes for that enzyme, so a pseudo in one part of the world may not have exactly the same malfunction as a pseudo in a different part of the world. While it's true in general that an error of even a single amino acid in the coding of an enzyme like 5a-reductase can tremendously impact its ability to do its normal job, there _may_ still be a small degree of activity left (according to the article), depending on the exact mutation. I believe we're talking here about something really small like maybe 1% or so of its normal activity. So I just wanted to point out here that contrary to what most people on hairloss sites believe, it's probably not that the pseudos have no type 2 activity whatsoever, it's that they have very very little of it.

G

Bryan said:
JayMan said:
okay well the fact that their test is higher only reinforces my point that testosterone is not really the culprit. i'd think that their hormonal profiles would be more similar to dutasteride users actually because of the more complete inhibiition of 5ar2.

There's a very lengthy and comprehensive article about the pseudohermaphrodites in the journal Nature which discussed something that never gets mentioned on hairloss sites: not all of them necessarily have ZERO 5a-reductase type 2 activity! :freaked:

There are different mutations around the world in the gene that codes for that enzyme, so a pseudo in one part of the world may not have exactly the same malfunction as a pseudo in a different part of the world. While it's true in general that an error of even a single amino acid in the coding of an enzyme like 5a-reductase can tremendously impact its ability to do its normal job, there _may_ still be a small degree of activity left (according to the article), depending on the exact mutation. I believe we're talking here about something really small like maybe 1% or so of its normal activity. So I just wanted to point out here that contrary to what most people on hairloss sites believe, it's probably not that the pseudos have no type 2 activity whatsoever, it's that they have very very little of it.

bryan, wouldn't that mean that their profiles are generally more similar to people who use dutasteride every day because 98.5% 5ar2 inhibition in the follicle is similar to having only 1 or 2% of normal activity. more similar than the 85% or so that finasteride gives, anyway.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it would appear that the pseudos in general probably have a type 2 activity more similar to what a typical dutasteride user gets than what a typical finasteride user gets. A significant difference, of course, is that pseudos have normal type 1 activity.

G

Bryan said:
Yes, it would appear that the pseudos in general probably have a type 2 activity very similar to what a typical dutasteride user gets. A significant difference, of course, is that pseudos have normal type 1 activity.

that is true, but removing half of type 1 activity should not negatively affect hair, right?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Removing half the type 1 activity ought to be at least a little beneficial for hair...

G

Bryan said:
Removing half the type 1 activity ought to be at least a little beneficial for hair...

I know you've said dutasteride is reasonably safe before. Do you think it's just as safe as any of the other stuff on the market people take like Lipitor or alpha blockers or Prozac or Ritalin, stuff like that?

abcdefg

Reaction score
I would find it funny for someone to say an enzyme with such important functions in the skin, and brain is safe to remove. There is no biological model on it, the most advanced science we have cant prove that removing that for 20 years will have no effect. I am waiting for someone to say its safe because they dont know. Why cant we just leave it at your taking a risk thats not completely known on almost all prescription drugs. Just take the risk and see what happens maybe nothing.

I like my hair but is it really more important then being alive? I mean id rather be on this earth an extra 3 years or however long I can then chance it on some drug that might not stop hairloss anyways.