Is it supposed to be like this? (Dr.LEE USERS PLZ HELP)

under20

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive been using dr.lees minoxidil for the last week cause ones containing PPG made my scalp flake like mad. Newayz, dr.lees minoxidil doesnt seem to be giving me any irritation, but its so damn oily/greasy. Is it supposed to be like this? For example, i put it on when i go to bed and I wake up and I can still see my scalp glistening where ive applied it. I can actually rub the oily stuff off with my fingers a day after applying it. Is it not absorbing right or something? Or is this normal? I thought this stuff was supposed to dry in like 45 minutes, or am I wrong? Just wanna find out if this is normal b4 i order more of it. thanks

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Which of Dr. Lee's products are you talking about? 5% plain minoxidil or his Xandrox?
If it's his 5% plain minoxidil (50%Alcohol and 30%PPG) then something doesn't sounds right. Do you have gel or other sticky hair products(hairspray, pomade) in your hair before you apply it?
I ocasionally use his regular 5% minoxidil solution and it takes about 15-20 minutes tops to dry.

BHD

Reaction score
I think you must be using Dr. Lee's Xandrox 5%, as it is definitely greasier than his regular minoxidil solution.

I too use Xandrox 5%, and it is indeed quite greasy especially if you put too much. I normally shower in the morning to get the residue out. However, I been applying in the morning lately (0.3 ml in the morning but 1 ml at night), as this was advised by Dr. Lee himself to maximize minoxidil effectiveness. According to him, only 1.4% of what you apply gets absorped so it makes sense to apply twice instead of once. Having said that each of us respond differently to the dosage, so if your using just once and having great results, I believe you.

If you use minoxidil, greasy or not, do wash it out every so often, I think it matters as your keeping your scalp clean and optimal for absoprtion. Also, minoxidil and propecia are both drugs that every now and then will cause the scalp to get inflammed and oilier, and I suspect when this happens a shed period will almost be sure to follow. I have discovered that if I break this inflammation/oiliness scalp cycle, I tend to have lesser and shorter shed periods, while all the while on my treatments.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
templerecession said:
If you use minoxidil, greasy or not, do wash it out every so often, I think it matters as your keeping your scalp clean and optimal for absoprtion. Also, minoxidil and propecia are both drugs that every now and then will cause the scalp to get inflammed and oilier, and I suspect when this happens a shed period will almost be sure to follow. I have discovered that if I break this inflammation/oiliness scalp cycle, I tend to have lesser and shorter shed periods, while all the while on my treatments.
Hmm weird I notice the same execpt massive sheds where I would break out in little red zit like bumps. As soon as they went away, the hairs would just shed.

under20

Established Member
Reaction score
Im actually just using the dr.lees normal minoxidil, but the PPG free version. THe left over seems like residue, it weird, could it be cause im putting too much on or something like that? So I guess its not normal? Or is it the PPG substitute glycerin that causing this?

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Have you asked the main man himself (aka. Dr. Lee)? I heard that he usually respondst to mail himself.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
under20 said:
Im actually just using the dr.lees normal minoxidil, but the PPG free version. THe left over seems like residue, it weird, could it be cause im putting too much on or something like that? So I guess its not normal? Or is it the PPG substitute glycerin that causing this?

OK that makes sense now...He uses 30% glycerin in that version, which I beleive is stickier and greasier than PPG.

BHD

Ams99

Established Member
Reaction score
yes, the ppg free version IS like that. i'm surprised no one is left on this site that uses it. xandrox 15% has that same "greasy" issue since it is also ppg free. you might want to try dr lee's regular 5% which has a lot less ppg than normal rogaine or the generic type. my scalp can't even stand one application of regular rogaine, but it is fine with dr lee's refular minoxidil mix. the regular mix also dries quickly and leaves the scalp unoticeable of topical application.

Axon

Reaction score
Ams99 said:
yes, the ppg free version IS like that. i'm surprised no one is left on this site that uses it. xandrox 15% has that same "greasy" issue since it is also ppg free. you might want to try dr lee's regular 5% which has a lot less ppg than normal rogaine or the generic type. my scalp can't even stand one application of regular rogaine, but it is fine with dr lee's refular minoxidil mix. the regular mix also dries quickly and leaves the scalp unoticeable of topical application.

Good advice.