is it really male pattern baldness?

jsmith19

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I started noticing my hairloss about 6-7 months ago. And since then i have lost a ton of density. It hasn't receded all that much, but when my hair is wet, my hair is clearly thinning alot. It is alarming how fast this is happening. If i could have kept the hair i had 3 months ago, I would be set. It is also alarming because i am only 19 yrs old. At this rate, I'll be bald by the new year. So my question is, could this be due to a thryoid problem. My mother has problems with her thyroid, so is there a higher chance that I do? There is some male pattern baldness in my family, mainly my uncle, who is a NW4. But he didnt start til he was about 23, and both my grandfathers and my father have hair. Anyway, I know it is probly just wishful thinking that it might be my thyroid, but would you guys recommend getting it checked out? Thanks alot.

jeffsss

Reaction score
could be thyroid. but probabaly not.

I see you started propecia at the end of august. I'd at least wait till the end of november before you start worrying too much.

I know it's hard not to, i'm in a similar situation as you.

thinned out a lot. not much receeding..

I hope propecia is going to help. I think it will. just stay positive.

jsmith19

Reaction score
How quickly are you losing your hair? Mine has gone from great to very thin in 5 months. Im sure i was probly losing some before that that but i never noticed. It is also said that thyroid disease is hereditary, and that the symptoms often go unnoticed.

jsmith19

Reaction score
Please guys I really need a good answer to this. I mean how can I go from complete head of hair in march to almost a NW2 with over 50% loss now in October?

SE-freak

Reaction score
It could be aggressive male pattern baldness.
A NW2 pattern implies a pattern in the first place. If this was a Telogen Effluvium you would probably not experience bitemporal recession.

Have you been noticing thinner less pigmented shafts falling?

Anyway, no one can diagnose you over the net.

Visit a Doctor.

jsmith19

Reaction score
Most of the hairs that fall out are slightly tapered towards the bulb, and the bulbs are always white. Maybe I exaggerated on the NW2, Its probably about a NW1, but ive lost a ton of density. So it does turn out to be aggressive male pattern baldness im pretty much screwed right?

SE-freak

Reaction score
jsmith19 said:
Most of the hairs that fall out are slightly tapered towards the bulb, and the bulbs are always white.

No conclusions from this one. These are shed hairs and have keratinized bulbs-completely normal. Before shut down the follicle produces slightly thinner hair shaft so that is normal too.

Maybe I exaggerated on the NW2, Its probably about a NW1, but ive lost a ton of density. So it does turn out to be aggressive male pattern baldness im pretty much screwed right?

Please try being realistic. Having lost most of your density and being a NW2 is completely different from a thinned NW1.

If it is aggressive male pattern baldness you will treat it and you will probably get decent results as the loss is recent.

Good luck.