Is It Possible To Stabilize Hair Loss With Finasteride And Then Stop The Treatment?

Pretzel

My Regimen
Reaction score
As the title says, I am 23 yo, suffering from androgenetic alopecia since I was 20 yo (really light atm, but still there is it), and have 2 balding spots on the temples and in the crown area. As I said at the moment is really light, but I've decided to do something about it anyway to prevent it to progress.

I started minoxidil (Rogaine foam 5%) about 6 months ago, and in the first period I was shedding A LOT, but kept straight forward it anyway, and now seems like fallen hair are growing up again as expected.

Anyway, I wanted a better solution to this, and went to an hair doctor, which prescribed me Finasteride (Propecia) for an year.

In his opinion, I did well going there at 23 yo to avoid it to get worse, and checked out my head, saying that I still have all the hair, but in the shedding areas there are some very thin and DHT is starting to attack them.

What is strange to me, is that he said that in his opinion the crucial moment is now, and in 1 year I can stop the treatment and I should keep the hair.

I heard of people being into Finasteride for a lifetime, I don't know if their cases were worse but, is it really possible to stop Finasteride once started and keep the gains?

Thanks for answering

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well you might get PFS and epigenetic 5-AR downregulation, in that case your hair loss and all other androgen-dependent functions will likely slow down a lot even when you quit Finasteride, so there's that...