Is it possible to regain hair? Or only slow balding?

Reaction score
I'd like to hear your opinions and experience on this matter.

From my impression. It seems that most of these treatments (Propecia/Rogaine etc. etc.) only help to slow or at best halt the progression of hairloss. Any perceived growth of new hair is actually non-fully miniaturised hairs regrowing to full sized terminal hairs. So your hair appears fuller. But hair follicles that are clearly not visible will not grow back. i.e. Someone like Patrick Stewart (Jean Luc Picard) with his bowling ball head would have no effect from using any of these treatments.

But someone in the early stages of balding, especially with diffuse thinning where large areas of the scalp have miniaturising follicles (but not completely gone) can use such treatments and notice large differences.

I've heard some info that says that the hair follicles are still there even in decades gone, completely bald individuals. But perhaps these hair follicles have gone beyond a critical minimum diameter, and can't regrow without more extreme treatment (like space age 25th century stem cell treatment. Note: Jean Luc Picard was still bald in the 24th century. Warp drive: Check, Teleportation: Check, Balding: Err Nope.)