Is it possible to cut into the hairline after the hair's been cut?

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a piece whose hairline I want to modify in effort to give it a more realistic appeatance; I want to make it jagged.

The issue is, I've already had the piece cut.

Ordinarily, when I first get a piece, I don't give a sh*t about cutting into the hairline as I know I'm getting a cut.

I've already cut into this piece's hairline prior to its being cut & the lace is right at the hairline.

What will it look like if I just cut into it now? What will the hairs at the edge look like?

And what's the best, safest way to go about it to preserve the hairs at the hairline?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's generally not recommended to cut the lace at the hairline, however you can get away with it if you don't have an exposed hairline on the parts you cut, especially if you have longer/thicker hair.. However I have no idea what the hairs at the edge will look like on your system, given you've already cut it. Perhaps some others here can help you out. Proceed with caution if you don't want to mess it up!

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's generally not recommended to cut the lace at the hairline, however you can get away with it if you don't have an exposed hairline on the parts you cut, especially if you have longer/thicker hair.. However I have no idea what the hairs at the edge will look like on your system, given you've already cut it. Perhaps some others here can help you out. Proceed with caution if you don't want to mess it up!
Ya, I think I'm going to hold off. Seems risky. Thanks for your reply. Hadn't checked back in a while. Thought some of the main experts could chime in!

Much obliged!

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
OK,

Just a couple of more things to consider. I just had this with a client.

When you create a hairline, graduated or not, you will tend to use smaller, single knots. As you move further away, you will switch to more durable, but larger double knots.

Once you cut into this hairline... either to change it's curve or get a different effect, you cut away part of that hairline, and potentially expose the double knots.

You will also make the system smaller front to back.

I only do this for customers that don't expose the hairline.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
OK,

Just a couple of more things to consider. I just had this with a client.

When you create a hairline, graduated or not, you will tend to use smaller, single knots. As you move further away, you will switch to more durable, but larger double knots.

Once you cut into this hairline... either to change it's curve or get a different effect, you cut away part of that hairline, and potentially expose the double knots.

You will also make the system smaller front to back.

I only do this for customers that don't expose the hairline.

Ya, I always order standard-sized stock systems & end up shaving my head more than I need to, to accomodate them.

I know a lot of hair systems use single knots in the front for realism - but I don't think Lyrical even goes that far. Not sure. Haven't so much as looked at my pieces in quite some time.

I'll just keep it as is. The haircut's too good to mess w/,

I've fresh, uncut system I'll expiriment on.