Is It Possible To Counteract The Skin/collagen Side Effects From Minoxidil?

CuckedByChad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are there any creams/drugs/supplements that would negate the negative skin/collagen side effects seen from Minoxidil?

I'm fine with trying every anti-androgen under the sun, but I really, really do not want to age my skin more than necessary. Skin is extremely important for youth and vitality, and minoxidil is shown to potentially ruin it.

Is it fixable or are we destined to be ugly, old, wrinkled incels?

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Collagen gets depleted as we age. It is a normal part of the aging process. Dark circles are also doe to aging in some people.

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score

I'm struggling with this too man. I'm thinking about it. I've been meaning to work on a good facial serum formulation.

A lot of things for face interact so it's complicated to mix.

Also I had been using ghk-cu for 2 years and its got multiple modes of positive and negative activity. I'm starting to come to the conclusion it's a net negative.

I've got some ideas I've been toying with and I'll see what I can come up with tonight or in the next few days.

CuckedByChad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm struggling with this too man. I'm thinking about it. I've been meaning to work on a good facial serum formulation.

A lot of things for face interact so it's complicated to mix.

Also I had been using ghk-cu for 2 years and its got multiple modes of positive and negative activity. I'm starting to come to the conclusion it's a net negative.

I've got some ideas I've been toying with and I'll see what I can come up with tonight or in the next few days.
I just read through your ''Why The 'prostaglandin Protocol will make your skin look like sh*t'' thread and as usual, top tier reading material. Looking forward to what you can figure out although I'm not exactly holding my breath. Looks like we are destined to be wrinkly, saggy, collagen missing baldcels.

Tretinoin or retinol? vit C serum? dermarolling? Collagen supplements?
I'd be down to try these but is there any proof that they will work? Especially in combination with minoxidil.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's funny, I actually do take a Retinol solution for the bags under my eyes (because I'm
so damn old). Not hair though.

It's OK.

BalderBaldyBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just read through your ''Why The 'prostaglandin Protocol will make your skin look like sh*t'' thread and as usual, top tier reading material. Looking forward to what you can figure out although I'm not exactly holding my breath. Looks like we are destined to be wrinkly, saggy, collagen missing baldcels.

I'd be down to try these but is there any proof that they will work? Especially in combination with minoxidil.

Tretinoin is a powerful collagenogenesis, but start with a low dosage 0,025% for at least 6 months night applications only, then get on the 0,05%, it can be pretty harsh on skin at first, but results come with a daily strict routine, your skin will adapt
Vit C serum is also good for collagen and fibroblasts
Google "Effect of vitamin C and its derivatives on collagen synthesis and cross-linking by normal human fibroblasts"
Two of the most effective products and weapons against early collagen disruption out there

Last edited:

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
Tretinoin is a powerful collagenogenesis, but start with a low dosage 0,025% for at least 6 months night applications only, then get on the 0,05%, it can be pretty harsh on skin at first, but results come with a daily strict routine, your skin will adapt
Vit C serum is also good for collagen and fibroblasts
Google "Effect of vitamin C and its derivatives on collagen synthesis and cross-linking by normal human fibroblasts"
Two of the most effective products and weapons against early collagen disruption out there

I used differin 0.1% for 2 years which his like tretinoin but gentler (fancier). Had mild acne so was using it for that. I stopped due to dry eyes, which is a risk of retinoids and something I seem prone to. Funny enough, I'm also getting my main daro side effect as dry eyes.

I guess I'm just destined to have dry eyes. :)

Either way, applying retinoids around your eyes would not be ideal. Otherwise retinoids are pretty good. But they're not powerful enough in the scheme of things to make a massive difference. We need a daro-scale anti-wrinkle solution and I don't know if it exists.

I used to think peptides were the solution, and maybe they still are. I think I just fucked up by going with copper peptides instead of standard peptides. Copper has a tendency to destroy collagen, which helps for breaking down scars, but is not helpful for general daily skin care, where you're not trying to break down a scar. Problem with skin just like hair is it takes time sometimes to be sure of what you're seeing, so you can f*** up. And there aren't a lot of big/long term studies so a lot of stuff is hearsay. I think that was a big mistake for my own face. Hopefully I can still repair it.

I played with tripeptide 5 powder once in the past but it didn't solubilize well in water. Probably I just need to add a bit of ethanol to it. I'm gonna try that if I can still find that stuff and try again.

I've been thinking about this on/off for a few weeks, and researching skin products for years. My best idea for a good composition that can also be used around the eyes would be:

- Azelaic acid 5-15% - procollagen, anti-acne, anti-wrinkle (trouble is by being acidic it may cause instability of other compounds or require pH balancing which is difficult, requires a bit of alcohol to dissolve)
- Basic peptides 1% eg. Tripeptide 5 (trouble is they can easily feed bacteria and make solutions go rancid, perhaps a bit of alcohol in solution though will prevent this, also very expensive)
- Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate 5% - light stable version of Vitamin C, anti-acne, anti-wrinkle, pro-collagen
- Niacinamide 5% - pro-collagen, anti-acne, anti-wrinkle

As usual I think the best principle is to keep the formulation relatively simple so that you don't have an overwhelming amount of work to mix it and to minimize interactions. In this case, the peptide would be the strongest workhorse, but all agents should contribute well to the effect. Everything besides the peptide is dirt cheap.

If I can find the peptides and my old sodium ascorbyl phosphate I will have all the ingredients to make a test batch in the next week. I think the pH with azelaic acid will be the biggest challenge. But I think this is doable. None of these agents are controversial. All have good evidence. Hopefully this will help mitigate the damage for my own part from oral minoxidil and also my copper peptide misadventure.

Another thing I have learned worth mentioning while we're talking about skin is regarding MSM. I learned while investigating daro vehicles that DMSO is good for scars because (like copper peptides) it helps break down excess collagen. But this makes it bad for general skin care like collagen peptides as well. And DMSO and MSM have almost the same chemical formula. I've taken MSM on/off for a few years, as a joint care supplement, and I always thought my skin looked worse on the MSM than off it. Now I'm betting they have the same negative effect on the body, and people who hype MSM as an oral supplement are dead wrong about it. I've stopped MSM for a few weeks and won't touch it again.

For oral skin supplements, I think the best bets are things like Omega 3's, maybe borage oil (GLA), Verisol containing collagen supplements, vitamin C 2000 mg a day, maybe antioxidants like resveratrol. Maybe glucosamine/chondroitin.

But most of this stuff is voodoo. Anti-aging skin science is as poorly researched as most topical hair stuff, so you have to figure out a lot on your own by experimentation and trial and error.

Last edited:

BalderBaldyBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I used differin 0.1% for 2 years which his like tretinoin but gentler (fancier). Had mild acne so was using it for that. I stopped due to dry eyes, which is a risk of retinoids and something I seem prone to. Funny enough, I'm also getting my main daro side effect as dry eyes.

I guess I'm just destined to have dry eyes. :)

Either way, applying retinoids around your eyes would not be ideal. Otherwise retinoids are pretty good. But they're not powerful enough in the scheme of things to make a massive difference. We need a daro-scale anti-wrinkle solution and I don't know if it exists.

I used to think peptides were the solution, and maybe they still are. I think I just fucked up by going with copper peptides instead of standard peptides. Copper has a tendency to destroy collagen, which helps for breaking down scars, but is not helpful for general daily skin care, where you're not trying to break down a scar. Problem with skin just like hair is it takes time sometimes to be sure of what you're seeing, so you can f*** up. I think that was a big mistake for my own face. Hopefully I can repair it.

I played with tripeptide 5 powder once in the past but it didn't solubilize well in water. Probably I just need to add a bit of ethanol to it. I'm gonna try that if I can still find that stuff and try again.

My best idea for a good composition that can be used around the eyes too would be:

- Azelaic acid 5-15% - procollagen, anti-acne, anti-wrinkle (trouble is by being acidic it may cause instability of other compounds or require pH balancing which is difficult, requires a bit of alcohol to dissolve)
- Basic peptides 1% eg. Tripeptide 5 (trouble is they can easily feed bacteria and make solutions go rancid, perhaps a bit of alcohol in solution though will prevent this, also very expensive)
- Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate 5% - light stable version of Vitamin C, anti-acne, anti-wrinkle, pro-collagen
- Niacinamide 5% - pro-collagen, anti-acne, anti-wrinkle

As usual I think the best principle is to keep the formulation relatively simple so that you don't have an overwhelming amount of work to mix it and to minimize interactions. In this case, the peptide would be the strongest workhorse, but all agents should contribute well to the effect.

If I can find the peptides and my old sodium ascorbyl phosphate I will have all the ingredients to make a test batch in the next week. I think the pH will be the biggest challenge. I think this is doable. None of these agents are controversial. All have good evidence. Hopefully this will help mitigate the damage for my own part from oral minoxidil and also my copper peptide misadventure.

Another thing I have learned worth mentioning is I learned DMSO is also good for scars because (like copper peptides) it helps break down excess collagen. But this makes it bad for general skin care as well. And DMSO and MSM have almost the same formula. I've taken MSM on/off for a few years, as a joint care supplement, and I always thought my skin looked worse on the MSM than off it. Now I'm betting they have the same negative effect on the body, and people who hype MSM as an oral supplement are dead wrong about it. I've stopped MSM dead for a few weeks and won't touch it again.

For oral skin supplements, I think your best bets are things like Omega 3's, maybe borage oil (GLA), Verisol containing collagen supplements, vitamin C 2000 mg a day, maybe antioxidants like resveratrol. Maybe glucosamine/chondroitin.

But most of this stuff is voodoo.

Nice regimen, i'm gonna inspire from it
I agree with last paragraph, most oral supplements are useless, except maybe Omega 3 and resveratrol

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nice regimen, i'm gonna inspire from it
I agree with last paragraph, most oral supplements are useless, except maybe Omega 3 and resveratrol

Thanks. Obviously I'll post back if I can get the topical serum formulation to work. Gonna go basement hunt for ingredients now. I have the weirdest sh*t in my basement.

Edit: okay got powders:

Sodium ascorbyl phosphate
Hydrolyzed collagen
Pearl powder
Niacinamide
Azelaic azid
N-acetyl glucosamine
DL panthenol
Alpha lipoic acid
ULMW hyaluronic acid
CoQ10
Palmitoyl Tripeptide 5

Plus pH test strips.

Addendum
Ordered some sodium hydroxide for pH buffering of Azelaic Acid here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sodium-Hyd...584529?hash=item2a7f5f6491:g:x64AAOSwGzxZe3~S

Unfortunately azelaic acid may not be useful as its solubility in ethanol is only 5%. A 10% ethanol solution will only dissolve 0.5%, so this agent may not be useful.

Read a neat article here about ethoxydiglycol which is sold here as an ethanol replacement.

This is going to take some time to work out.

Last edited:

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dermarolling on the face also adds to collagen production. A no brainer if you're already rolling on the scalp IMO.

barfacan

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What about applying sunscreen, wouldn't that be the best 'anti aging' product? like Androgenetic Alopecia, reversing the damage is much harder.

Tonixity

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I started to apply minoxidil foam rogaine two weeks ago and my skin is starting to get super oily, I have black bags under my eyes and it seems that my skin is changing color.

My face is also super oily and my hair is itchy ... I was on Kirkland liquid before for 1.5 months and I didn't have those side effects... my scalp was not itchy either... it seems that foam has better results in terms of hair loss though...

What should I do

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
I use Retin A regularly and agree with IdealForehead regarding its use around the eyes. Should be avoided. The tissue is naturally thinner, finer and unique in how it drapes and is supported by the underlying connective tissue. The cream is more likely to cause unesthetic inflammation.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I started to apply minoxidil foam rogaine two weeks ago and my skin is starting to get super oily, I have black bags under my eyes and it seems that my skin is changing color.

My face is also super oily and my hair is itchy ... I was on Kirkland liquid before for 1.5 months and I didn't have those side effects... my scalp was not itchy either... it seems that foam has better results in terms of hair loss though...

What should I do

You see better results in terms of hair loss in 2 weeks?

Tonixity

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You see better results in terms of hair loss in 2 weeks?

Since I started it I don't lose much hair in the shower. I know it's hard to tell and it was probably a gimmick to say it was more effective but the side effects definitely come from using the foam.