is it pointless to use dutasteride & finasteride together?

Molecules

Reaction score
is it pointless to use dutasteride & finasteride together?

Im only 1 month on finasteride at the moment, 3x a week 1mg. But i also have some avodart boxes to spare so.., would it be pointless to add dutasteride say once a week? would it cause shedding? Im already experiencing increased shedding for the past couple weeks on finasteride and it seems (i think) to be slowing down since yesterday so i really cant afford to shed that much any longer without compromising cosmetic difference and peace of mind. Luckily these expire late next year. Norwood 2 & 19 btw, you can check my thread at the stories section for more info

- - - Updated - - -

anyone?

sportsfan12

Established Member
Reaction score
actually id like to hear more on this. im 11 months into finasteride, and considering dutasteride. i have heard of people taking dutasteride like once a week while they are on finasteride to take off finasteride and onto dutasteride- what's the consensus on this?

Molecules

Reaction score
actually id like to hear more on this. im 11 months into finasteride, and considering dutasteride. i have heard of people taking dutasteride like once a week while they are on finasteride to take off finasteride and onto dutasteride- what's the consensus on this?

How has finasteride worked for you? Im one month in and im so scared of hyperandro. No sexual sides tho

DrDog

Reaction score
Yo what's up

finasteride and dutasteride do compliment each other. dutasteride's half-life is far longer than fins (I believe 4 days compared to 8 hours), so many here on the forums take finasteride daily and add .5mg of dutasteride once a week. Be careful though, as once you start you'll have to continue for as long as you want your hair.

Eventually this route turns into dutasteride 3x a week, then ed. But it all depends how long you're trying to go.

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
There's no point in taking both 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors together. Dutasteride does everything Finasteride does plus more. If you're taking both and responding finely, might as well drop Propecia and continue with taking Avodart, again no point in taking both. Dutasteride is a more effective at treating Male Pattern Baldness than Finasteride, not by a huge amount, though it is a little better. Most men will do good on Propecia, so switching to or taking Avodart usually won't be needed.

Saurabhaj

Reaction score
why are u interested in murdering yourself...
stop...

Fina is 5 alpha 1 and dutasteride ia 5 alpha 1 and 2 blockers..

DHT is most potent form of testo essential for body...
wear a wig if you cant deal with hairloss..

recedingyt

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
stop...

Ignore this finasteride fear mongering.

<2% of men develop side effects from finasteride and for the ones who do it is almost always reversible upon cessation

Molecules

Reaction score
Ignore this finasteride fear mongering.

<2% of men develop side effects from finasteride and for the ones who do it is almost always reversible upon cessation

im not scared of the sexual sides because ive been on it for a month + and i dont have them, im just scared of it worsening my hairloss, ive been shedding since week 2 its taken a toll on my density, i cant keep shedding much for longer and i wouldnt want dutasteride to cause an even bigger shed. Can anyone tell me if adding dutasteride once a week would be wise, would it cause shedding

Ventures

Established Member
Reaction score
It is pointless. As other members mentioned, dutasteride inhibits both 5ard enzymes by 90% and 50% respectively. So you want get negative inhibition by using finasteride and dutasteride in same time.

If you ask me, I would not use dutasteride, which is, of course, more powerful and more effective due to fact it inhibits more DHT-I and DHT-II. I would rather use finasteride 1mg or 1.25 mg which in average people halts and slows down hair loss. I think you might not benefit from using dutasteride, even though it's little more effective. But if you consider sides and long term side effects it isn't worth. It's more expensive and it not labeled for Androgenetic Alopecia, there aren't clinical trials ...

Just use 1/ 1.25mg of finasteride, or even less dosages. If you notice thinning of hairline add minoxidil or invest in hair transplant.

Captain Hook

Established Member
Reaction score
Yo what's up

finasteride and dutasteride do compliment each other. dutasteride's half-life is far longer than fins (I believe 4 days compared to 8 hours), so many here on the forums take finasteride daily and add .5mg of dutasteride once a week. Be careful though, as once you start you'll have to continue for as long as you want your hair.

Eventually this route turns into dutasteride 3x a week, then ed. But it all depends how long you're trying to go.

Like Agustin said, it's redundant to take finasteride and dutasteride concomitantly. You're a bit off on the half-lives as well, finasteride's is about 6 hours and dutasteride's is anywhere from 3-5 weeks based on Avodart's package insert data from GSK.

stop...

So much misinformation in one post.

Finasteride only potently inhibits 5AR2 and 5AR3 whereas dutasteride is a triple 5AR inhibitor, its pharmacology profile includes potent inhibition of the 5AR1 isoenzyme as well.

Also how are you 'murdering' yourself? DHT may be more potent than testosterone but it is not essential. Testosterone is the only essential male hormone post-puberty. Look at the model of pseudohermaphrodites (men with a congentical 5AR2 deficiency), they grow up to be healthy males in regards to every vital sign.

The only difference between them and us is that they have smaller prostates and full heads of hair. Piss off troll.

If you ask me, I would not use dutasteride, which is, of course, more powerful and more effective due to fact it inhibits more DHT-I and DHT-II. I would rather use finasteride 1mg or 1.25 mg which in average people halts and slows down hair loss. I think you might not benefit from using dutasteride, even though it's little more effective. But if you consider sides and long term side effects it isn't worth. It's more expensive and it not labeled for Androgenetic Alopecia, there aren't clinical trials ...

Actually dutasteride has shown to have paradoxically less incidence of side effects compared to finasteride. In this study it was shown to have a lower incidence rate of every side effect except for gynaecomastia (even then it was only a 0.1% higher incidence than finasteride when controlled for placebo long-term, which probably isn't statistically significant nor not worth the risk given the ~18% increase in hair counts versus finasteride)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1472914/

It's also not that much more expensive, here in HK a 28 tablet box of generic 1 mg finasteride is $300 HKD and a 30 capsule box of Avodart is $350.

Molecules

Reaction score
It is pointless. As other members mentioned, dutasteride inhibits both 5ard enzymes by 90% and 50% respectively. So you want get negative inhibition by using finasteride and dutasteride in same time.

Just use 1/ 1.25mg of finasteride, or even less dosages. If you notice thinning of hairline add minoxidil or invest in hair transplant.

i have no sides on finasteride, but im scared of reflex hyperandro because ive been shedding since the second week, and got some breakouts on my back/chest, nothing major tho. And well i get these meds really cheap (they're legit) so that's not an issue, i have two boxes of avodart so that could last me almost two years if its only once a week, i just wanted to see if anyone had experience with it in that dosage/did it worsen their shedding or sth.

Saurabhaj

Reaction score
In PGI..
one of the finest medical Institute In India...
there was MCQ question about finasteride...
in this..there is clearly written that Impotency is well documented after finasteride use...

This college is one of the finest medical college in world..
most Indian docs that are in USA are from PGI..only...

Saurabhaj

Reaction score
Why not do a sperm Count challenge test...
Are you ready to do that...

Is any one here want to do that and post here...
Sperm count before and after regular use of Finasteride...
plus semen volume test..

will love to see the results...

- - - Updated - - -

i said to him because he is thing to harm him badly..
i am taking Finasteride..

but taking two drugs with synergistic action is catastrophic..
as i Doctor..i always warned or probably need to scold people when they do or say something dangerous

- - - Updated - - -

Complement is a wrong word...
it should be synergistic here...

sportsfan12

Established Member
Reaction score
How has finasteride worked for you? Im one month in and im so scared of hyperandro. No sexual sides tho

Its worked well. Helped my crown quite bit (i started pretty early in hair loss)

I am just looking for more hairline help and thus why im considering dutasteride. No sides, just try not to think about it, i take finasteride with my mutlivitamin and its just become another part of my day. I never overthink it