Is it okay to highlight/color my hair while on the big 3?

ironmike10

Reaction score
I'm on rogaine, propecia, and nizoral and was thinking of either highlighting or coloring my hair. Would that disrupt the regrowth process or make my hair fall out more or any worse or more thin? Have any of u done this while on the big 3? comments...

G

I don't know about hairloss but I am Eastcoast and that's for fags.

...not that there's anything wrong with that.....just so's you knows...

RalphyWiggum

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, but if I were you I would "highlight" my hair as opposed to coloring it (applying harmful dye to your scalp could hinder your progress).

G

Oh yeah, sorry, I started off-topic... I don't have any information.

Axon

Reaction score
Yeddie said:
I don't know about hairloss but I am Eastcoast and that's for fags.

...not that there's anything wrong with that.....just so's you knows...

Haha...yeah, I'd probably get shot for having blond tips.
:)

Personally, nothing that isn't regimen related, hair gel, or a brush goes near my hair.

NilesTilden

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't use a dye that you have to leave on the scalp. I've seen several posters who've had BIG fallouts after using such dyes, and I've experienced it myself.

cosmo gene

Established Member
Reaction score
unbelievable, so you want to have your cake and eat it to, well go for it man, if you got to do it than do it, just remember that cosmo gene had told you that it will increase your fallout by minimizing hair regrowth diameter.

zak84

Established Member
Reaction score
cosmo gene said:
unbelievable, so you want to have your cake and eat it to, well go for it man, if you got to do it than do it, just remember that cosmo gene had told you that it will increase your fallout by minimizing hair regrowth diameter.

i agree with cosmo here...is it really that important? i mean sure people like to look stylish but why take the risk?

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
oops,. double post

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I dont really get the cake & eating it too comment. We want hair so we look good, so we want our hair to look good. Most of us style it in some fasion (well I dont, mines buzzed to a 1 and lookin pretty good this way), I really dont see anything wrong with wanting to do this. I do agree though that actually doing it is probably a bad idea, but if you could highlight/color just a bit of it without the bleach or dye touching your scalp, I dont see how it could hurt!

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Here in Southern California where everyone is vain and even the straight guys color their hair... I was on Propecia and Nizoral and had my hair highlighted with zero problems for 3 yrs.

HairLossTalk.com

bombscience

Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
Here in Southern California where everyone is vain and even the straight guys color their hair... I was on Propecia and Nizoral and had my hair highlighted with zero problems for 3 yrs.

HairLossTalk.com

Highlighting is also a pretty nice effect of hiding the contrast of the scalp and the hair as well. You'll notice people thinner hair looks less obvious with highlights or bleaching.

G

HairlossTalk said:

HairLossTalk.com

Hey, not ALL of us guys in So. Cal are vain. My neighbor isn't!

:laugh:

Shinyscalp23

Established Member
Reaction score
be careful if you use retin- with your minoxidil and bleach or dye your hair...i forgot once i had it on my scalp when i was coloring my hair and it burned like a big mofo to the point that i started bleeding!---after the fact my scalp looked like a scraped knee...hindered my progress BIG TIME...didnt go back on the treatment until 3 months later.....now if you use retin-a and color or bleach your hair....your scalp will burn ...period whether its on the scalp or not because your skin is more porous...so if u wanna look good get a fast acting bleach or dye----so it doesnt have to stay on too long...then rinse your head and wash your hair thoroughly immediately after and apply cortisone liberally....the burning will be gone in an hour or two if u apply it to a wet scalp and u may wanna take a day or two off the topicalsif not somemore...if youre using retin-a with your minoxidil...with plain minoxidil ive never had a problem even with it on....now coloring or bleaching your hair will dry it out and probably cause breakage but dont be alarmed its just breakage...often at the root with the white bulb we all know of...and the minoxidil over the dried out, colored hair may cause further breakage...all in all tho when i first used minoxidil for 8 months i bleached my hair every 3 weeks..and with all the breakage and what not and abuse to my hair when i finally dyed it back my balding spot had still shrunk to half of what it was and u cant get much more abusive than bleaching every 3 weeks for 8 months lol...just be careful if youre using retin-a...... and while colorign your hair may cause some
damge to Telogen Effluvium hair but ultimately its the follicle below the skin that really matters and lets face it guys our thinning crowns look like sh*t if we could do something other than pouring that toppik or couvre crap on our heads we might as well do it-toppik was a big inconvenience when i went blond again i was so happy everything was camouflaged and i didnt have to worry about using that crap...and on a another note---im experienced in the whole coloring thing=streaks in the end are even better than full bleach jobs becauseyou still get some camoflaging color variation when the roots grow in...when your roots grow in from completely bleaching it may look worse for alittle while because of the pattern of dark coming in from the roots and your pattern baldness

Deaner

Reaction score
I used a really dark hair dye once and left it on my scalp, my hair looked better afterwards, and I experienced no fall out. I don't believe it's given me any negative effects whatsoever, and I'd do it again.