is it ok to go from 5% to 2% minoxidil?

vwsimple

Reaction score
been on 5% for 6months now and i dont want to absorb so much minoxidil. i would like to use 5% just for the hairline and then 2% on the rest of the scalp.

also can i make 2% just by diluting the 5% with say vodka/rum ?

vwsimple

Reaction score
or would it be better to apply 5% to the rest of the scalp just once a day?

Saltwater77

Reaction score
You can dilute the 5% solution with water, preferably distilled water, but I doubt any trace impurities in tap or bottled water will have any reaction with the minoxidil.
Just add 60 ml of water for a 2.5% solution

asolof

Established Member
Reaction score
Saltwater77 said:
You can dilute the 5% solution with water, preferably distilled water, but I doubt any trace impurities in tap or bottled water will have any reaction with the minoxidil.
Just add 60 ml of water for a 2.5% solution

Saltwater,

Are you sure this would work? The limit of the solubility of minoxidil in water is 2mg/ml . I think this calculates out to a maximum of a 2% minoxidil solution in water. How long it would take to disolve in it and what the relative contributions of the remaining proylene glycol alcohol (from the 5% solution) would be I'm not sure. It disolves better in ethanol.

In any case, I wouldn't worry about the extra minoxidil and would just stick with the 5% solution.

Cassin

Reaction score
vwsimple said:
been on 5% for 6months now and i dont want to absorb so much minoxidil. i would like to use 5% just for the hairline and then 2% on the rest of the scalp.

also can i make 2% just by diluting the 5% with say vodka/rum ?

You probably absorb more minoxidil via 2% than 5%. PPG is a b**ch.

Why not just go to .5ml aps?

Whats your reasoning behind this anyway?