Is it OK physically to tale finasteride and dutasteride at the same time?

DAC21

Reaction score
I needed to get off dutasteride for a Life Ins physical. Since it wasn't prescribed, I didn't want that showing up in my blood test.
So I went off it for seven weeks and of course the shed began.(5% minoxidil did nothing to keep it on my head) I'm now back on meds but I lost plenty of hair. I have both finasteride and dutasteride available, they work on a different enzyme. I have been on 1.25 mg finasteride daily and dutasteride capsuls three days a week. (initially I was on dutasteride. every day the first two weeks back on the meds.)

Will I live? :jump: Has it increased the effectively of any of your regimens?

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
They both do different things , I believe Dutasteride inhibits both isoforms of 5-alpha reductase and Finasteride inhibits only one of them. I thought about this before , don't know what the consequences would be. You should make sure its A-ok before taking both.

treadstone

Established Member
Reaction score
It might work, but I imagine you have to be pretty smart about the timing with which you take the two. Dutasteride has a higher binding affinity for 5AR-II than Finasteride, so it's not like Finasteride can just mop up the leftovers on days you're not taking dutasteride.