Is it o.k to get more than 1,500 grafts at once ?

baldsucks

Reaction score
I was told by a hair transplant surgeon that doing more than 1,500 grafts in one strip session causes a higher graft failure rate because there are more wounds to heal in such a small area. Has anybody heard of this or is the surgeon pulling my leg - to force me to have two procedures (1,500 each instead of one for 3,000).

eastend

Reaction score
You're getting bad advice. Sessions of 3,000+ grafts are the state of the art with excellent growth rates.

The size of the session in the hands of a competent surgical team is entirely a function of the size of strip they can safely cut from your head. Top strip surgeons lead teams of 5-6 members, maybe more. Three or four will dissect, and two will assist in the incisions and planting. The argument that that survivability will suffer with more than 1,500 grafts is complete nonsense, and case after case proves it.

Not knowing any more, I would bet my house that you did not get that advice from the three clinics you were considering (H&W, Shapiro, Seager). So who was it?

eastend

Reaction score
Never heard of him, but I did a google search. Are you talking about RMA in San Francisco? If so it's no wonder you're getting incomplete information. Here's a quote from the website:

"This strip is then dissected into micro and mini grafts. Micrografts- are for the hairline they have 1-3 hairs and are very, very small. Minigrafts - are placed behind the Micrografts for thickness and are still very small (mostly 1 - 1.5 mm.) The number of hairs depends on your own personal density, but generally will range from 3-7 hairs."

The standard in hair restoration is an all-FU procedure, not minis and micros.

hairnow

Reaction score
Basldsucks

Eastend is 100% right. Don't even consider anyone who doesn't do 100% follicular unit transplantation. No minis, no micros. They look like sh**. Single hairs in the front of the hairline only. 2's and 3's as these people say they do looks terrible.

If you go to one of the top surgeons, they can do 3,000 in a session. The surgeon is limited by how wide of a donor strip can be removed without creating so much tension in the donor area that a wide scar develops. It is commonplace for surgeons who do lousy work that is several years behind state of the art make statements to patients that are B.S. I know. I've had 2 surgeries. The first was with a surgeon who was a a persuasive know-it-all blow hard who told me things that I later learned were completely incorrect. His work was unnacceptable. He left me with 2 and 3 grafts in front and a lack of randomness to the grafts. He also had a problem doing large surgeries which left a sparse but very unnatural look in front. After it all grew in (about 1 year), I had to have it corrected (after some education) by an SMG surgeon. The results with the SMG surgeon were excellent.

I'm reiterating what eastend said because I've been on these boards three years and I've seen guys ignore this advice and come back with deep regret. There are debates about some of the finer points and differences between a few of the best surgeons, but there is consensus among patients who have documented best results.

The three clinics eastend named do very good work.

KK

Reaction score
Hair now,

I am considering transplant, I have a question, how long do we expect to see result ? from the starting of surgery to the starting of seeing hair grow on the transplanted ones?

thanks..

Stella

Reaction score
Hair Transplant in the Dominican Republic

I have been informed that you can get a professional hair transplant in the Dominican Republic for much less money than in the United States.
Somebody mentioned Dr. Alba Sagiv as a very good docto in the Dominican Rep. I found the site: http://www.albareyes.com
I see she owns her own clinic and works in megassesion.

Seems professional to me, but would like to hear your opinions: What have you hear about hair transplant in Dominican Republic? Have you hear from Dr. Alba Reyes before?

Stella :wink:

Stella

Reaction score
Hair Transplant in the Dominican Republic

I have been informed that you can get a professional hair transplant in the Dominican Republic for much less money than in the United States.
Somebody mentioned Dr. Alba Sagiv as a very good docto in the Dominican Rep. I found the site: http://www.albareyes.com
I see she owns her own clinic and works in megassesion.

Seems professional to me, but would like to hear your opinions: What have you hear about hair transplant in Dominican Republic? Have you hear from Dr. Alba Reyes before?

Stella :wink:

Thomas

Established Member
Reaction score
KK said:
Hair now,

I am considering transplant, I have a question, how long do we expect to see result ? from the starting of surgery to the starting of seeing hair grow on the transplanted ones?

thanks..

In my case, the transplanted hair usually grows immediately, then about 60% falls out around 2 months later, then grows back in about 4 months. I would say a person should expect to wait 6-8 months to see the full benefits ofa hair transplant.

HairBeThere

Reaction score
This is just a follow up for anyone who reads this thread.

Stella's post states that someone mentioned Dr. Alba Sagiv is an excellent doctor in the Dominic.

Dr. Alba Sagiv uses micro and mini's which are archaic. Any doctor that uses micro or mini grafts should be completely avoided. If they tell you this in person, laugh in their face.

Only doctors that use 100% follicular units should be used.
And any doctor that does part-time Hair Transplantation should also be avoided.

And the ISHRS.org website is not a bible, is really is a very poor referance of good physicians.

Their are only about 100 true hair transplant physicians in the United States that incorperate the latest technology in Hair Transplantation, Follicular Unit's. And also, only about 20 which do true Mega Sessions. (2K-3K grafts)

hairexplore

Reaction score
HairBeThere said:
Their are only about 100 true hair transplant physicians in the United States that incorperate the latest technology in Hair Transplantation, Follicular Unit's. And also, only about 20 which do true Mega Sessions. (2K-3K grafts)

Hi, i'm also researching this doctor Alba Reyes Sagiv and bumped into your post. I'm curious to know about some of these "true hair transplant physicians" that you mention. Can you post the names of some of them, specially the ones that do mega sessions? thanks.

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Read this forum, plenty of good names mentioned.