Is It Normal To Lose Around 200-250 Hair Strands In The Shower Alone?

Tsizzle

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have recently been noticing that I do shed a lot of hair in the shower. I would roughly count them and I would say that I easily shed around 200-250 hairs in the shower alone each time I wash it. I do tend to wash my hair once every 2-3 days (normally) however even when I do wash it everyday (once in 10 days or so) I lose quite a bit of hair. I have been shedding quite a bit of hair since I was around 16 however I have just noticed how much I actually shed a few months ago. I would say at the age of 16 my hair thickness (from a scale from 1-10) was a 9 and right now (10 years later) it is probably around a 7.5 (just beginning to see the scalp a tiny bit but still thick).

So my question is: Is this shed normal for me? I know it's different from one person to another but If I have been losing 200-300 hairs a day since I was 16 then surely I'd be bald by now right?

I need to mention that I have been using Regaine on the crown and temples for around 4 years now and those parts have hardly worsened over the years.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's not that much if you only wash your hair every few days. The thing to worry about is are they growing back thinner each cycle? Shedding up to 150 hairs per day is normal. If you're like me, most of them come out in the shower,

Tsizzle

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's not that much if you only wash your hair every few days. The thing to worry about is are they growing back thinner each cycle? Shedding up to 150 hairs per day is normal. If you're like me, most of them come out in the shower,

Yes the majority of my hair fall out in the shower and they add up to at least 200 hair strands. My hair is not as thick as it used to be when I was 16 but it is still thick. In other words I would not be able to see my scalp at the age of 16 but now at the age of 26 I can see it easier, so over 10 years it has thinned out a bit, not that much though. Do you think Propecia would help?

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes the majority of my hair fall out in the shower and they add up to at least 200 hair strands. My hair is not as thick as it used to be when I was 16 but it is still thick. In other words I would not be able to see my scalp at the age of 16 but now at the age of 26 I can see it easier, so over 10 years it has thinned out a bit, not that much though. Do you think Propecia would help?

Propecia would probably keep you from thinning any more. You sound like a perfect candidate for it.