Is It Normal For One Side To Be Worse Off Than The Other?

Jack Ito

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are mature hairlines supposed to be even or is it normal for one side to be more recessed than the other? I ask this because the right side of my hairline and temples is more recessed than the left.. by around 3/4 of a Norwood and it doesn’t seem to be changing much. I’ve also noticed that the temple and peak on the left side (more recessed side) is a bit thinner.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, this has been noted some time back, I think by @Armando Jose .

It varies, but the most common is slightly faster recession on the right side.

ETA: Look at hockey player Henrik Lunqvist, he has it at an extreme level:

Lundqvist-2-1024x768.jpg

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you look at his younger pics that has been his hairline his whole life I believe. I'm thinking I have a similar hairline to this too

It may be that he went on finasteride in his early 20s.

deadhairfollicle

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It is normal my right temple is more receded. Idk why you're saying you're 3-4, judging by pics you're nw1 at most

furrydome

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hmm, same here - right side seems more receded than the left. When I first went on finasteride (early 20s) the right side took longer to regrow than the left, and the same is happening now with a wounding+topical regimen.

Is it possible that some people's scalps are just rotated a little bit? Or do they really just not recede evenly?

deadhairfollicle

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hmm, same here - right side seems more receded than the left. When I first went on finasteride (early 20s) the right side took longer to regrow than the left, and the same is happening now with a wounding+topical regimen.

Is it possible that some people's scalps are just rotated a little bit? Or do they really just not recede evenly?
Did finasteride stopped working for you? Also how many years are you on fina?

furrydome

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did finasteride stopped working for you? Also how many years are you on fina?

Most of my hair history is documented here, but I wouldn't say finasteride stopped working, more like it "lost effectiveness". I mean we know that finasteride only lowers scalp DHT levels by about 60%, so it can't be a perfect long term solution. Dutasteride lowers it about 85% according to this site but these numbers probably vary by person and who knows how accurate this info is.

If you check that first link, in my case I didn't just gradually lose ground on finasteride, there were several shed events brought on by prescription drugs. Can't scream this loudly enough: DO NOT take anti-depressants.

Blubar

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can't scream this loudly enough: DO NOT take anti-depressants.
furrydome,would you say this also applys to women. My wife has been losing hair like crazy the last few years without any reason but now that you mention it that is about the same time she started taking antidepressants. I know they killed her desire for sex.

furrydome

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can't scream this loudly enough: DO NOT take anti-depressants.
furrydome,would you say this also applys to women. My wife has been losing hair like crazy the last few years without any reason but now that you mention it that is about the same time she started taking antidepressants. I know they killed her desire for sex.

Dunno but antidepressants are bad news in general