Is it normal for non-male pattern baldness sufferers to shed 5-10 hairs after showering?

JohnC43

Established Member
Reaction score
I lose at least 3 or 4 in the shower shampooing, and then around 5-10 after I get out. I gently pat my hair dry with a towel and then blow dry on cold. This happens regardless of how I dry my hair, if I air dry I can still run my hands through my hair and pull out at least 5 hairs. However, I usually blow dry my hair on COLD so this is not caused by heat.

I hate when I tell my dad (who is a physician) and my dermatologist that I have at least 5-10 hairs fall out after showering and they tell me it's perfectly normal. I just don't believe this, nor do I believe the average person sheds over 100 hairs per day.

What do you think, and what does the evidence support?

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
perfectly normal.

shedding hairs - no matter how many you shed - is not a sign or symptom of Male Pattern Baldness/Androgenetic Alopecia

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
Why don't I remember this before I had male pattern baldness?

because you weren't bothered about/didn't notice hair shedding before the spectre of male pattern baldness raised itself in your consciousness, so you didn't make any careful observations about how many you shed.

and yes the docs are right - 100 hairs daily is about what everyone sheds: men, women, whether balding or not... (although it might be less for children)

in any case it's irrelevant with regards male pattern baldness, since hairs falling out isn't a sign you have it. Thinning/miniturisation is

Iopu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I never notice myself shedding any hairs at all even when washing. I do have male pattern baldness though. Which is weird I guess.