Is it getting harder to buy hair systems?

Alsh

My Regimen
Reaction score
It used to be that french/swiss lace is was out of stock everywhere but you can still get poly and monofilament systems.
Now I am struggling to find my (common) colour poly system and/or any monofilament systems.

Is it just me or has the supply shortage gotten worse?

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
NO for custom hair systems. There are production issues for stock systems though.

It depends who you buy from generally. Some companies are fine, others not.

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not having any problems. The quality dropped at the start of the pandemic, but even that's picking up now.

Alsh

My Regimen
Reaction score
Any recommendations on a supplier? I am currently using LordHair and they are out of their stock units

George Hen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve ordered 4 systems since the start of the pandemic.

One in March 2020, it arrived in July 2020 and it lasted 10.5 months - way longer than any other I’ve had before.

I ordered two in September 2020, each one ordered two weeks apart. One arrived in early November 2020, the other arrived in May 2021. The quality of these seem ok, I’m wearing one now and it looks and feels good, no shedding or anything as of yet. The density of both appears to be a bit less than previous systems though.

I put an order in for the final one yesterday and was surprised not to have been met with a price increase or a significant delay (estimated 16 weeks) on the delivery. We’ll see about that though cos, like I said, the third one took 8 months to arrive.

I would advise caution. We don’t know what’s going to happen with covid or hair systems, better to be prepared. Splashing out the cash for en extra system may sting but probably not as much as if you don’t have one to wear

I always try to learn more about increasing longevity. I can’t tell you how amazing it was squeezing 10.5 months out of one system. Shout out to Noah cos he’s an absolute legend.

albar05

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve ordered 4 systems since the start of the pandemic.

One in March 2020, it arrived in July 2020 and it lasted 10.5 months - way longer than any other I’ve had before.

I ordered two in September 2020, each one ordered two weeks apart. One arrived in early November 2020, the other arrived in May 2021. The quality of these seem ok, I’m wearing one now and it looks and feels good, no shedding or anything as of yet. The density of both appears to be a bit less than previous systems though.

I put an order in for the final one yesterday and was surprised not to have been met with a price increase or a significant delay (estimated 16 weeks) on the delivery. We’ll see about that though cos, like I said, the third one took 8 months to arrive.

I would advise caution. We don’t know what’s going to happen with covid or hair systems, better to be prepared. Splashing out the cash for en extra system may sting but probably not as much as if you don’t have one to wear

I always try to learn more about increasing longevity. I can’t tell you how amazing it was squeezing 10.5 months out of one system. Shout out to Noah cos he’s an absolute legend.
10.5mths from ONE system , how the hell did you do that!!!!! i wear full swiss or french lace but i can only get MAX 3mths.. however i am super paranoid about shedding and as soon as i see too much shedding i replace! this normally happenes around the 2.5-3mths mark when i feel like too much shedding and density will be off. But 10.5 mths is insane!! what base do you wear? and where do you get this system ? i also wear my hair longer in the front maybe 5-6 inches and maybe 4 on the top .. maybe that plays a part ?

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've never got longer than 4 months from a hair system either.

So far I've only had thin skin.

I got a hybrid french lace centre and front with poly perimeter custom hair system coming soon.
I can't say when. HairHub are f*****g unreliable.

George Hen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
10.5mths from ONE system , how the hell did you do that!!!!! i wear full swiss or french lace but i can only get MAX 3mths.. however i am super paranoid about shedding and as soon as i see too much shedding i replace! this normally happenes around the 2.5-3mths mark when i feel like too much shedding and density will be off. But 10.5 mths is insane!! what base do you wear? and where do you get this system ? i also wear my hair longer in the front maybe 5-6 inches and maybe 4 on the top .. maybe that plays a part ?
I used to get ~6 months from each system. The single best change I made for longevity was switching from only using glue to only using tape at the front of my system. Tape created a more solid and reliable bond, less lifting, irritation, scratching and therefor hairloss. I started doing that just before I changed to that system and figured it would help. Didn’t think it would almost double the life I got out of it though!

I wear the hair down at the hairline which helps to cover the tape. I also probably go for slightly heavy density in my systems so, although it can look a bit exuberant (but definitely suits me and isn’t ridiculous or anything), it takes ages for it to get too thin. My hair type is also naturally quite thick, wavy brown hair so that helps with coverage and density in general.

other things which definitely help:

I very gently comb (wide toothed comb) before bed and as soon as I wake up every day.

If I wash my hair I just use water, I almost only ever shampoo when I remove the unit which is once every two weeks. Obviously shampoo if it’s necessary outwith that but rarely tbh.

I never use product of any kind in the system.

I wear a hat pretty much any time I go outside - it’s just become a habit over time. I’ve noticed my last system didn’t really fade as a result so I didn’t even have to dye it.

this is important and something I only started doing with my last system:

When I remove the unit I clean it (very carefully with the tape removal so that it doesn’t lose hair), then I condition, shampoo and then one final long condition for at least 10 mins, always ensuring to wash the unit upside down to avoid hairs going through the lace.

My systems are lace with a poly border on the back and sides.

I use tape all round the system, down the middle and a bit of glue on the back for security when bonding.

10.5 months was pushing it in some ways but, in others, I could’ve kept going with it for another 6 weeks if I had to.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been very fortunate, Lavivid has had my stock .03's readily available and I get them within 4 days.

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I used to get ~6 months from each system. The single best change I made for longevity was switching from only using glue to only using tape at the front of my system. Tape created a more solid and reliable bond, less lifting, irritation, scratching and therefor hairloss. I started doing that just before I changed to that system and figured it would help. Didn’t think it would almost double the life I got out of it though!

I wear the hair down at the hairline which helps to cover the tape. I also probably go for slightly heavy density in my systems so, although it can look a bit exuberant (but definitely suits me and isn’t ridiculous or anything), it takes ages for it to get too thin. My hair type is also naturally quite thick, wavy brown hair so that helps with coverage and density in general.

other things which definitely help:

I very gently comb (wide toothed comb) before bed and as soon as I wake up every day.

If I wash my hair I just use water, I almost only ever shampoo when I remove the unit which is once every two weeks. Obviously shampoo if it’s necessary outwith that but rarely tbh.

I never use product of any kind in the system.

I wear a hat pretty much any time I go outside - it’s just become a habit over time. I’ve noticed my last system didn’t really fade as a result so I didn’t even have to dye it.

this is important and something I only started doing with my last system:

When I remove the unit I clean it (very carefully with the tape removal so that it doesn’t lose hair), then I condition, shampoo and then one final long condition for at least 10 mins, always ensuring to wash the unit upside down to avoid hairs going through the lace.

My systems are lace with a poly border on the back and sides.

I use tape all round the system, down the middle and a bit of glue on the back for security when bonding.

10.5 months was pushing it in some ways but, in others, I could’ve kept going with it for another 6 weeks if I had to.
Which supplier do you use ?,
obviously they make good pieces if you get 10 months

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lace are still hard-to-find. My supplier doesn't have stock on hand and I now have to wait 4 months. Poly, thinskins seem to be available...can't wait for that pandemic to be over...I can't wear thinskin during the summer

albar05

Established Member
Reaction score
I have found a few suppliers with the Q6 polly round the back and side and last through the middle and front .. but i have been told that cutting it down to my size which is 7in x 5.4in is not doable as you loose too much of the poly on the back and edges.. is this correct ??? i have only worn full lace systems which i dont have to worry about this issue. ANY ADVICE please.. has anyone cut a Q6 smaller ?

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Q6?? Must be a supplier model number...which vendor please

J_D_R

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have found a few suppliers with the Q6 polly round the back and side and last through the middle and front .. but i have been told that cutting it down to my size which is 7in x 5.4in is not doable as you loose too much of the poly on the back and edges.. is this correct ??? i have only worn full lace systems which i dont have to worry about this issue. ANY ADVICE please.. has anyone cut a Q6 smaller ?

I've cut lace/poly hybrid systems like that before leaving only 5mm of poly around the sides, and it's absolutely fine.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Are most people able to find a stock system that suits them? Haven't even tried looking at them tbh. Maybe I should for backup.

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am not able to find my usual stock piece (lace , 1b80) in stock...it is 6 weeks to 4 months delay...thinskins are readily available thought which I had to adapt and wear a bit... but in summer heat, its a pain

George Hen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not even leave-in conditioner?
i used to but not any more unless the hair feels particularly dry. I can see why it'd work for some people but I put the great longevity of my last system down to the fact I interfered with it as little as possible. I sometimes had issues with LIC leaking through and affecting the bond a bit. Also, sometimes it can have adverse effects on the hair after a few days (makes the hair even dryer for some reason for example). Probably depends a lot on the type of hair you have but I don't miss using it at all.