Is It Dumb To Start Using Minoxidil And Then Get On Finasteride In A Couple Months?

LosingHairIsNotFair

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to get on finasteride, but I have to go to an endocrinologist first because I have slight liver damage from something unrelated. I just want to make sure I'm not going to myself harm on finasteride. If I get on minoxidil for like two months and then hop on finasteride, is that pointless? I know finasteride is the foundation of any hair loss treatment, I'm just wondering what you all think.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I want to get on finasteride, but I have to go to an endocrinologist first because I have slight liver damage from something unrelated. I just want to make sure I'm not going to myself harm on finasteride. If I get on minoxidil for like two months and then hop on finasteride, is that pointless? I know finasteride is the foundation of any hair loss treatment, I'm just wondering what you all think.

Of course not. With how cheap minoxidil is why would anyone with male pattern baldness not be using it? The only downside to minoxidil IMO is its a pain the *** to apply if you still have a lot of hair. Then it makes your hair all wet and greasy which makes it look even thinner. Its tough to consistently apply minoxidil for 6 months only to see no difference or barely a difference.

LosingHairIsNotFair

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay. I'm just thinking since finasteride is the only thing that gives you "real" change...minoxidil is just "cosmetic," it's not inhibiting DHT.