Is It Benefecial to Take Propecia more often than Once/Day?

blakes30

Established Member
Reaction score
Finasteride's half-life is about 4 hours. So, if I take 1mg at 6am, then 12 hours later, I only have 0.125mg in my bloodstream which has to last me another 12 hours. Since 0.125mg may not block hair loss---aren't I losing hair for the second half of the day??????

Why is it NOTnecessary to take MORE OFTEN than once a day, given that propecia has such a short half-life???

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
no no no....first off the half life of finasteride is more like 6-7 hours secondly dht generation is not instantaneous. it would take a week or two for your body to reach its baseline DHT levels....it takes a while for the 5alpha R enzyme to regenerate. taking 1mg or 2mg or 3mg a day is not gonna make any difference on your hair.

blakes30

Established Member
Reaction score
so if that's the case, and it takes two weeks to reach baseline,
one could take every other day, or even maybe every 4 or 5 days!?!?!?

what do you think is the optimal time to allow between doses (before DHT starts to "regenerate")?

Pondle

Reaction score
According to various studies posted on the forum, lower doses are almost (but not quite!) as effective as 1mg per day.

In another thread Bryan said skipping days should be fine, but I'm a stickler so I keep to the recommended dose and frequency.

Lorenzo_91

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes you can take 5mg and regrow a bit more than on 1 so it does make a difference on your hair but also your prostate.

blakes30

Established Member
Reaction score
so if blood levels are down ever 5-6 hours, by 12 hours you have barely any finasteride in your blood

what about the next 12 hours? does finast bind to tissue longer than it stays in the blood?

in other words---is there any benefit to taking more than once a day, and if NOT, what is the MAXIMUM time you can allow between doses and not suffer falling DHT levels?

G

Re: Is It Benefecial to Take Propecia more often than Once/D

blakes30 said:
Finasteride's half-life is about 4 hours. So, if I take 1mg at 6am, then 12 hours later, I only have 0.125mg in my bloodstream which has to last me another 12 hours. Since 0.125mg may not block hair loss---aren't I losing hair for the second half of the day??????

Why is it NOTnecessary to take MORE OFTEN than once a day, given that propecia has such a short half-life???

finasteride half-life is about 6 hours. The 5AR-1 half life is 14 days and the 5AR-2 half life is 30 days as stated on the drug's pharmacology page. I don't think this means you could take it once a week and have it be effective though.

So no, the half life of the drug itself means you don't have to take it twice a day. I take it EOD myself.