IS it bad for your hair/scalp to use T Gel every day?

crownthinner

Reaction score
I heard not to use these powerful shampoos every day because it is bad for you. The problem is I use minoxidil and I itch and flake like crazy and they are the only things that help this IF I USE EVERY DAY. Shouls I not use them all the time. The other question I have: is it possible to go bald in the crown area and never really receed in the front?

pharoh

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I use nizoral/T-gel combo once every 3 days, and inbetween I use mostly T-gel on its own, sometime I use pantene sheer volum instead. T-Gel is my shampoo of choice because my hair always feels best after using it, and I always use it post-workout because I think it gets rid of sweat from my scalp better than the other shampoo. I haven't experienced any problems from doing this.

However, that does not neccesarily mean its good to use every day, although I haven't seen anything on the bottle saying you cannot use it every day. Hell, it even says on the bottle "if neccesary rinse and repeat", so it seems to think theres no problem using it twice in a row, so do not see why every day would cause a problem.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
crownthinner said:
I heard not to use these powerful shampoos every day because it is bad for you. The problem is I use minoxidil and I itch and flake like crazy and they are the only things that help this IF I USE EVERY DAY. Shouls I not use them all the time. The other question I have: is it possible to go bald in the crown area and never really receed in the front?

are you using the t/gel extra itch control or the extra strength versions? that might help.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
by the way, I used t/gel for the 1st time last night. I really like the way my fairs feels after use, wet and dry. Only thing I dont care for is the way it smells. You can smell the tar in it.. smells like freshly poured road asphalt.

Reaction score
I think I have posted this before...the other day as a mater of fact:

day 1: Nizoral
day 2: Normal Shampoo...tried some green bottle of hair thicking shampoo.
day 3: T-Sal
day 4: Normal Shampoo
day 5: Nizoral
day 6: T-Gel
day 7: Normal Shampoo

Hairless Potter

Established Member
Reaction score
Right now I use nizoral every morning, and T-gel every evening. My scalp feels great! I don't know if this is too much or not either, I'm glad this thread was started. Does anyone have definite answers to whether or not this will cause problems or worsen hairloss. I also agree T-gel stinks, P.U. But I think I'm addicted to how awesome it makes my scalp feel.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
Hairless Potter said:
Right now I use nizoral every morning, and T-gel every evening. My scalp feels great! I don't know if this is too much or not either, I'm glad this thread was started. Does anyone have definite answers to whether or not this will cause problems or worsen hairloss. I also agree T-gel stinks, P.U. But I think I'm addicted to how awesome it makes my scalp feel.

Yes the tgel smell is not very good, I can't imagine what the extra strength formula, (1%) coal tar, smells like. But I still really like using the shampoo. I wonder if the formula will dry out the scalp too much if used too often or if its bad for the hair itself to be used too often.

pharoh

Established Member
Reaction score
Well the T-Gel I use over here in the UK doesn't smell bad, I quite like the smell actually as well as really liking the way it leaves my hair feeling

G

crownthinner said:

There is no rigorous scientific answer to your question. After having done a fair amount of research on dermatitis and "dandruff" I would suggest that you could use a shampoo like TGEL every other day with no issues at all. Everday use is not going to do any harm BUT likely no good either. Killing the fungus on your scalp is sufficient every other day in my opinion.

Most of these shampoos work on the dermatitis aspect by way of anti fungal and antibiotic action. I would also suggest rotating these, such that you use TGEL for say three weeks and them swithch to Nizoral for three and so forth.

Hope that helps.

Good luck

guy83

Established Member
Reaction score
I never used T/Gel shampoo. Does it thickens the hair? My head doesnt feel great most of the time, its itchy.. I wonder if i should go to the store right now and buy one.

G

guy83 said:
I never used T/Gel shampoo. Does it thickens the hair? My head doesnt feel great most of the time, its itchy.. I wonder if i should go to the store right now and buy one.

TEGL is a very effective therapy for dandruff and dermatitis.

Good stuff.