Is it a good idea to make your own hybrid piece? e.g. mono back, .03 poly front

Alsh

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm looking at ways to attain the best results while being as economical as possible. At this point I'm comfortable cutting the base and attaching the units myself.

I have very little experience with hair system types and have only tried .03mm poly units with an exposed hairline. I don't know if mono would be better than a .08 injected poly in terms of comfort and durability. Due to the supply shortage, those are the only two options I can find.

I'm very impressed by how natural the hairline on the .03 looks but am disheartened by the durability. Replacing a $200/300 system every 2 months is heavy.

I was thinking about buying a stock mono unit (or injected poly), cutting that to my template but exclude the hairline.
I was then thinking of buying a stock .03 poly unit (or that square that StickOnHair uses) and making a partial system for the front.

templtate.png

I would attach these two pieces separately, mono with tape perimeter and poly with glue.

The idea being, the mono will outlast civilization while I'm able to obtain many fronts out of a single .03 base, reducing over all unit turn over.

Would something like this work or would this experiment be a waste of money?

Last edited:

Robrover

My Regimen
Reaction score
I regularly, and especially now in these difficult times, take the best bits of used lace wigs and sew them together with invisible thread to make one good one. Can extend the life of a full cap by more than 12 months by this method. I have been wearing for almost 40 years now (started with AHS salon in 1982) half that time fullcap wigs.

Alsh

My Regimen
Reaction score
Overall, for better durability and hopefully still decent hairline. Still an issue of breathability though.
My understanding is that mono is more durable than poly, as well as breathable. I could expect 4-6 months out of the rear mono section and get 2 pieces from one cap.

Then I'd just need 6-12 front partials a year which I could cut out of a poly skin cap.

If the colour,density, and hair type wasn't 100% the same it would look like sh*t.
And the join could be noticeable too.
These two factors concern me. I don't have enough experience to know. To hide the join, I was thinking I'd connect the front and rear with the same piece of tape.

In terms of sameness, I've done the best I can. ordered two stock units from the same supplier, with the same colour and density.

I've ordered the Icon (fine welded mono) and S22 (.03mm poly) from Lordhair.

rme

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I regularly, and especially now in these difficult times, take the best bits of used lace wigs and sew them together with invisible thread to make one good one. Can extend the life of a full cap by more than 12 months by this method. I have been wearing for almost 40 years now (started with AHS salon in 1982) half that time fullcap wigs.
How do you do that? you describe your process as you sew it together with what thread ? thank you.