Is Hair Transplant Possible At 20 With An Advanced Stage

hanginginthewire

Reaction score
3 transplants ? if so does every one has its cost or do i pay for a normal transplant but have devided sessions ?

Typically in a transplant about 2 thousand grafts are extracted and implanted. Given your pattern of loss, you’d likely need 5 to 6 thousand grafts for adequate coverage. So yeah, 3 separate surgeries. Maybe 2. Usually you are charged by the graft, somewhere between 4 and 8 dollars a graft.

This is a disease without a lot of options or easy answers, sadly.

ZP31

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You’re basically fucked.

Try out finasteride and see if that helps, but at the rate you’re balding and for your age, no transplant will save you.

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Transplants are not a wise idea for you. Your early loss suggests a lot of lifetime hair loss. Transplants are better suited to people whose (grand total lifetime) loss is never going to be very severe. Transplants cannot create new hair. All they can do is move your existing hair around. If you are destined to have a lot of lifetime hair loss (which is almost certain, given the amount of loss for your age) then you won't end up with enough remaining hair to cover your balding areas very well.

You can find lots of transplant clinics who will take your money and make you promises. But there are THOUSANDS of men who bitterly regret getting a transplant at your age. Transplants are irreversible. One session = you will have permanent scalp scarring that will make you uncomfortable with ever shaving your head down very short.

Researchers are working on ways to generate new hair. It has been "a few years away" for decades. But they have made more progress in the last decade than all the previous decades combined. We are hopeful that something may bail us out soon.

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dont listen that you're fucked or so. I would suggest you to try finasteride because for early diffuse thinners it will work for 100%. I had instant results after one month on 0.5mg every day when i was 20 and had 2x times worse situation than you.

random phone charger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Transplants are not a wise idea for you. Your early loss suggests a lot of lifetime hair loss. Transplants are better suited to people whose (grand total lifetime) loss is never going to be very severe. Transplants cannot create new hair. All they can do is move your existing hair around. If you are destined to have a lot of lifetime hair loss (which is almost certain, given the amount of loss for your age) then you won't end up with enough remaining hair to cover your balding areas very well.

You can find lots of transplant clinics who will take your money and make you promises. But there are THOUSANDS of men who bitterly regret getting a transplant at your age. Transplants are irreversible. One session = you will have permanent scalp scarring that will make you uncomfortable with ever shaving your head down very short.

Researchers are working on ways to generate new hair. It has been "a few years away" for decades. But they have made more progress in the last decade than all the previous decades combined. We are hopeful that something may bail us out soon.

Like you've written, its over for OP.

Transplant Route:

@islam Get your mission going man, buzz hair, order a usb microscope from the web. Examine your donor zone for miniaturization. If their is miniaturization; abandon mission. Get a second opinion from reputable dermatologist. (optional, well all of it is.) Lower you expectations as to achieving a straight juvenile hair restoration. The name of the game for you is C o v e r a g e & H a i r l i n e F i n e s s e NW2.3.

SMP is a must in your case.

Don't get greedy! save donor hairs in case further lose ensue.

Oh, and consider dutasteride pill if you're desperate enough to maintain hair (*Must*)

With Fue you can in fact buzz sides fairly close, without scarring visible, its been demonstrated countless times on YT.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

MeDK

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
All those money wasted, you should have gone for professional help for you mental health. I would bet those money are better spend.

And who in their right mind would think PRP would be working?

clarence-forgotpassword

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
At your age you can get SMP or trichopigmentation. (the difference is that one is permanent and other is not.)

You're too young for a transplant. Either way, I think a hair transplant to cover the entire scalp would require too many grafts, and might still leave you unhappy with the density. At a later age (30), you might consider having a transplant for the frontal zone alone.

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride immediately. If this is important you will need to risk the side effects (2% of men)
Microneedling + minoxidil
Maybe retin A to maximize effectiveness of minoxidil

LLLT when you can afford it

Rho Gain

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
9 months on minoxidil and had 4 prp sessions, nothing worked, f*** my life

Uh, I know your hair is longer in the second pic, but compared to your first pic, there still seems to be significant regrowth.

Anyway, no 20 year old should ever consider a transplant. There are plenty of "doctors" that will sell one to you, but they should lose their license. If you continue to lose your hair, you will end up with a "hair island," which is to say, you will have a patch of transplanted hair on the front of your head, and slick skin surrounding it. hair transplant should only be considered by men in their mid-late 30's who have exhausted all other options, as it is at around that age that hair loss stabilizes enough to get a good idea what Norwood you will finally end up as.

Additionally, no doctor should be telling patients that they should avoid finasteride. There is absolutely no good reason to do that. Finasteride has been on the market for three decades, and in much higher dosages that it's prescribed for hair loss (5mg for BHP vs 1mg for hair loss). If you don't get on it now, you will be a Norwood 6 by 25. If you do get on it, you will most likely stop your loss, and possibly regrow some. Getting a transplant and not using finasteride? Utter insanity.

Get on finasteride. Get on Minoxidil. Get on Ketoconazole. Stay on all three for at least a year. Forget PRP - it's snake oil, a total waste of money and not an inconsiderate amount of discomfort. If you're still losing your hair aggressively, nothing currently available - no drug, no surgery - will help you. Thankfully, some new, exciting protocols are only a few years away, and I can confidently say that by 30, you will have a lot of hair. Until then, focus on your education, your body, and your career.

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is a degenerative progressive disease.
It will never go away.
You should also optimize your body to withstand Finasteride with supplements: vit D, folic acid, biotin, zinc, aromatase inhibitor foods like broccoli.
Believe me supplements do make a difference in some people.

Rho Gain

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i really wish it was that easy

If you're in your late teens/early-mid twenties, it is that easy. There is absolutely no reason to be fixated with pussy until you're deep into your twenties. It's a total waste of time that won't advance your life an inch. Focusing on your career (and to a lesser extent, your body) should be your primary - indeed, your sole - focus from the ages of 18 to 28. Anything else is a pointless distraction, while building a career will pay dividends for the rest of your (very long) life.