Is Hair Loss An Autoimmune Response Caused By Diet?

Notquitesure

My Regimen
Reaction score
It is 5:00 AM so I will keep this short.

I usually shed 100 hairs a day. I recently went to visit my family for two weeks and for the entire period of my stay I must have shed roughly 50 hairs in total. I also noticed my 2-year elbow rash disappeared. I asked myself what I did differently and I think it is my Diet.

My usual ~3000 calories a day diet (started two years ago) consists of fruits, nuts, different types of beans/legumes, whole-grain rice/bread and one portion of either chicken or fish. I also try to avoid dairy and stick to organic meats.

During the two week visit I ate ~1500 calories a day, mostly ready meals and frozen food just because I got lazy.

When I was a child I used to be allergic to everything but certain vegetables. I slowly started being able to eat a larger variety of food and can now eat pretty much most foods without being sick. Some nuts and soy are still bad for me.

When I went to the doctor about my elbow rash two years ago, I was told it is caused by friction with my clothes which, now looking back at it, does not make much sense. Wouldn't I be covered in rashes?

I feel like I explained this poorly, I will try to edit this in the morning.

ButWhyTho

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes there are cases that hair loss is caused by an auto immune disorder. But generally most cases of hair loss is androgen related. Are you asking whether or not you're experiencing androgen alopecia or another cause of hair loss? Best way is to consult a dermatologist.

Notquitesure

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes there are cases that hair loss is caused by an auto immune disorder. But generally most cases of hair loss is androgen related. Are you asking whether or not you're experiencing androgen alopecia or another cause of hair loss? Best way is to consult a dermatologist.

From my understanding all types of hair loss, including MPH, are autoimmune diseases.

Last edited:

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Unless your diet consists of exogenous supplementation of androgens then no is the answer, if diet caused hairloss it wouldn’t disportionately affect men over women.

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Unless your diet consists of exogenous supplementation of androgens then no is the answer, if diet caused hairloss it wouldn’t disportionately affect men over women.
Men are more sensitive to it. Every time we eat, our insulin spikes, which prob sets off the inflammation/dht attack on your scalp follicles if you’re predestined to male pattern baldness.

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Men are more sensitive to it. Every time we eat, our insulin spikes, which prob sets off the inflammation/dht attack on your scalp follicles if you’re predestined to male pattern baldness.

if it were that simple it sounds like it would be very simple for reaearchers to prove

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, And, .....,???

For us, we need ask us: why diet affect only certains scalp hair?

kiwipilu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
well there are examples of twins brothers who eat exactly the same, but only one of them go bald. Also other example of twin brothers with different hairloss patterns. So this can only be written in the genes. hence why we call it androgenetic alopecia. Common cause is follicle inflammation due to sensitive follicles(to dht). some external factors can potentially exacerbate the cascade. there are plenty of studies out there. for example: http://tinyurl.com/yc2pwluh . so I don't know if you are right or wrong. there may be truth here and there. at the end of the day it's all genetic. if we had no AAG we could eat crap and still have a full head of hairs but maybe less shiny hairs and less luxurious... ; (

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Great mystery, ...., Are genetically diferent the hair on top or sides?
In the study you cited:
"
Conclusion
Maintaining good nutritional balance of vitamins, micro nutrients, antioxidants can neutralize ROS, maintain immunity, phagocytosis, induce cell growth, counter effects of endocrine disrupting chemicals, prevent autophagy, apoptosis, derangement of body functions due to poor diet and loss of nutritional value of foods. Correction of these associated mechanisms must be included in our approach to successful hair loss management. Anti-androgens may not be the only basis of hair loss management."

But no any mention to the special pattern of common hair loss

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well obviously more than just diet causes hair loss. I think each hair follicle is a mini organ and since the beginning some of the organs are just stronger than others. Even before the effects of DHT, T, growth factors and so on. The miniaturization can’t be seen but there is a programmed life expectancy like with everything. As a result of bad food and lack of nutrition to the follicle and air pollution, a hair follicle that should have worked decent for 20 years half @$$es it for 10-15 and that’s without adding androgens to the mix. We know people are allergic to propylene glycol. This is found in antifreeze, and in the food, plastics, and perfume industries. I’m sure there are other additives in food (McDonalds) that are more of a challenge for the body to process. When the body is fighting to process something internally it would only make sense for nutrients to be consumed to fuel the battle. If that’s the case then the body is going to shut down nutrient supply to the follicles in order to help the bodies main organs manage. The follicles with the shortest life expectancy since the beginning are the first to be effected and starve/miniaturize. Without the follicle getting vitamin d and other nutrients, toxins of any kind or dht are free to make a greater negative impact directly or indirectly. They know now that hair can smell or breath and feel so it’s a sensory organ and it’s sensing bull shyt. Idk diet could be a contributing factor but even if you at veggies and fruit you would probably still bald. I bet maybe at a slower rate but you would never know it because it would prolly take years of correct dieting.

kiwipilu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Great mystery, ...., Are genetically diferent the hair on top or sides?
In the study you cited:
"
Conclusion
Maintaining good nutritional balance of vitamins, micro nutrients, antioxidants can neutralize ROS, maintain immunity, phagocytosis, induce cell growth, counter effects of endocrine disrupting chemicals, prevent autophagy, apoptosis, derangement of body functions due to poor diet and loss of nutritional value of foods. Correction of these associated mechanisms must be included in our approach to successful hair loss management. Anti-androgens may not be the only basis of hair loss management."

But no any mention to the special pattern of common hair loss

the study mentions "hair loss management." That does not necessarily means you stop AAG in its track. maybe that's just to avoid most inflammation but DHT will always be up there. I guess those external factors are keys for diffuse patterns.
that said the mystery is that we can still have thinning hairs on the sides of the head where it should be safe (for common pattern)... I had myself a low percentage of thinning at the back when I was 25 and only a low norwood. Luckily it did not get worse. and also We can still have few solid hairs on the top of the scalp which won't surrender despite having an agressive hairloss. So all in all that sounds liek it's just genetic. I don't know how some say it's because of poor blood flow and lets not forget transplanted hairs survive over time ...

Shay-dvash

My Regimen
Reaction score
Intresting, thats somerhing i live for 10 years.
I was so obssesd of my hair that j eat and research and eat and research ad eat so much variety and healthy food.
What hepend?
Nothing.
I didnt had genetic hairloss
Just receded at tamples as normal
Well i had 5 years with no balding at all.
After traumatic event and 28 hours each time on computer with sleep of 6 hours .
After 3 months my hair start shedding falling without touching
And i lost portion of my hair in one side.
Than hairloss stoped when i stoped the condition
The area was never filled
After 2 years all good
I xhanged my diet to agressive salomon and 140 gram protein a day while training in gym .
Than again something hepppend
After 6 months j started thinning all over my hairline and in one side of my tample getting balder a bit.
Now i kept receding in my hairline and forhead beacome higher as a second mature hairline process begins.
My diet is different .i dont obssesd as i was so i dont know if its genetics
Overall i lost hair after traumatix event and hurting my body physically as described. And the second time was changing of diet and eating a lot of salomon fish.
Sometimes 400 -500 gram a day.
Sometimes less with lentis and other stuff.

So my hairloss intrest me.
To think i could avoid it.

Alex Contee

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If have researched this for years and I keep getting the same answer. If you have male pattern baldness, a terrible diet can slightly speed up the loss.

While it is possible to shed from malnutrition or a terribly unhealthy diet, it won’t look like classic male pattern baldness. If your vertex is thinning or your temples are receding, diet changes aren’t going to do much.

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
If have researched this for years and I keep getting the same answer. If you have male pattern baldness, a terrible diet can slightly speed up the loss.

While it is possible to shed from malnutrition or a terribly unhealthy diet, it won’t look like classic male pattern baldness. If your vertex is thinning or your temples are receding, diet changes aren’t going to do much.
The amount of fat bald fucks I see that order a breakfast roll everyday is serious. Animal fat and dairy being pumped through the system.

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
Up to this day the mainstream consensus is that hairs on the top are sensitive to dht, I would think diet has a big role but then I saw a begger with luxurious hairs and I abandoned that thought

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm currently going through a horrible period. shampoos and topicals make my scalp itch and also give me horrible pain in my hands. the stronger the shampoo the more my scalp itches and the more my hands hurt.

its got to be related to autoimmunity. my immune system creating flare-ups :'(