Is hair loss a listed side effect of Nizoral?

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
anyone knows if Nizoral can cause rare hair loss in a small amoutn of ppl?
I was using nizoral before m male pattern baldness days to control dandruff and could have that triggered my male pattern baldness earlier? I didnt expereince any unusual hair loss when using nizoral during the time....

SE-freak

Reaction score
I dont think this is probable.

In general though, almost everything can cause hairloss if you are allergic to it.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
highly, highly, doubtfull that nizoral directly caused any type of significant hairloss.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Unlikely, but Nizoral has been shown to have some antiandrogenic effects, which means you may have initiated a shed because it was benefitting your hair. The whole hair loss thing is rather complicated, so try not to stress over specifics too much!

HairLossTalk.com

yonister

Reaction score
I think all hairloss treatment should have this side effect listed since they all cause some sheding at some point. Sometimes to replace "weeker" hair and sometimes just because. But I guess as long the general appearence of the hair is good, there is no reason to panic.

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
Unlikely, but Nizoral has been shown to have some antiandrogenic effects, which means you may have initiated a shed because it was benefitting your hair. The whole hair loss thing is rather complicated, so try not to stress over specifics too much!

HairLossTalk.com

I wa using it for close to a year and stopped for a year......no problems during the time.......male pattern baldness started 1 year after i stopped using it.....cant be accurate though but this is the estimated timeline....

Isit possible that nizoral messed around with Hair cycles and cause male pattern baldness like scenarios to occur?

I beleive that Hair is always under DHT attack even if u are not suffering from male pattern baldness if then how will u explain hair cycles and their shedding in non male pattern baldness individuals

87david

Established Member
Reaction score
I use Nizoral too, and I also have noticed an increase in shedding. I think it's probably because of the excessive drying of my scalp when I use Nizoral. If you use it, don't use it too often. However, I have noticed some regrowth on my temples while using it, but I don't know whether if that's because of Nizoral or from the other treatments that I started recently.

G

It is a listed side effect although minimal it is still there.

Adverse Reactions: Ketoconazole 2% shampoo causes minimal skin and scalp irritation. During clinical trials, 33 (3.7%) of 892 patients treated with the shampoo and 12 (3.6%) of 330 patients treated with placebo reported side effects. The adverse effects reported by patients treated with ketoconazole 2% shampoo consisted mainly of: greasy hair or scalp (1.2%); dry (brittle) hair or scalp (0.9%); irritation (0.5%); burning sensation and dryness (eyebrows) (0.2%). All other adverse experiences were reported with an incidence of 0.1%: exfoliative dermatitis; dandruff; irritation around mouth (acne perioralis); contact allergy; worsening of acne; burning sensation or pruritus (scalp); cosmetological disorder; hair loss; tiny pustules on scalp; dryness and itching of forehead and cheeks.

In rare circumstances, mainly in patients with chemically damaged hair or gray hair, a discoloration of the hair has been observed.

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
oh my gosh why do people grasp at anything to deny the fact their own bodies are causing this
NO NIZORAL DID NOT CAUSE THIS TO HAPPEN YOU, YOUR HORMONES DID GET IT THROUGH UR HEAD

Axon

Reaction score
chewbaca said:
Isit possible that nizoral messed around with Hair cycles and cause male pattern baldness like scenarios to occur?

No. You were predisposed to male pattern baldness. Sorry.

RS

Reaction score
I used to use shaving cream as a hair gel. The probability of shaving cream causing hair loss is greater then that of nizoral. Who knows some of the sh*t that goes into shaving cream. Just wish I never used it :shock:

Sirini

Reaction score
YES , it can cause hair loss

i had severe hair loss + extremely painful scalp from using Nizoral.

if you have dandruff, use a mild anti-dandruff shampoo.

Nizoral does not help with hair loss at all. Studies are crap.

scud666

Established Member
Reaction score
Yup, Nizoral triggered my hairloss too. i am not kidding or being sarcastic. it really did. wish that stupid hairstylist didn't receommend that stupid shampoo out of all the stuff out there. :evil:

SE-freak

Reaction score
Yup, Nizoral triggered my hairloss too.

I understand that finding the "cause" of your loss can be soothing. Gel, Masturbation, Nizoral and the list goes on. Someone recommended Nizoral because you had dandruff BEFORE using Nizoral. If you dont think studies are crap like our friend below then you should know that reduction in overall scalp health is the first sign of Androgenetic Alopecia. Tough luck.

Nizoral does not help with hair loss at all. Studies are crap.

I cannot even comment on that.

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think some kind of feedback loop mechanism may be involved to trigger Androgenetic Alopecia earlier.

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well it could e that since your hair is under DHT attack all the time.,using nizoral before male pattern baldness officially starts may trigger since the body mechanisms recognise the scalp Environment before and after using nizoral?