Is Finasteride (Propecia) Thinning My Hair?

thissucksbadly

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Bit of an update from me...

So 8 months on finasteride and 4 on Minoxodil- my hair has thickened significantly and my hairline is returning with a vengeance. Feeling so much better about myself but know there will be more bad days.

I will update with pics but hang in there you guys.

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
I am usining finasteride since may. At the begining I started to shed but 6 months after I still have that shedding. I think that my hair is worst than it was before my finasteride. cant tell you how dissapointed I am. Everyone saying: "use it for a full year" but I'm scared what will happend in next 6 months becouse finasteride isn't slow down my hair loss, just accelerate. :(

I'm still shedding after 1.5yrs. But finasteride isn't accelerating your hairloss. This is a temporary shed. Don't count your hairs. You have a 90% chance to keep what you have and a 60% chance of improving...

gkos2

Reaction score
First time poster, long time lurker

Hey Guys,

I am 27 years old dude, have been on minoxidil alone for 6 months but now have been doing the regime of big 3 for 3 months.

Why the sudden urge to post?

I was cleaning up my facebook photos yesterday and saw my old photos. I have always had problem with thinning crown but OK thickness hair overall and used minoxidil for 6 months with no significant results.

At first, I was abit worried with the side effects that finasteride has, but I made up my mind and get it anyway.

Now on my third month, 5mg finasteride (divided into 4), I just realized it is even worst now. Hence why I thought, it would make me feel better to share my story with you here. I guess we are all about the same age, similar problem, similar shedding, similar period of finasteride usage.

6 months ago, i still found comfort in buzzed hair to AT LEAST give the impression that "Meh, I just cut my hair short, i am not balding" look. Sadly, it has come to an end, it does look like I am thinning all over the top.

Is it the shedding phase? I do not know, I do not see a significant hair on my pillow, in the bathroom.

Its an uphill battle. But at least, I get to share this story with you guys and if we think about it, hairloss problem is nothing compared to hardships other people might experience right now.

Cheers mates

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and no sides other than hemhh... sperm being abit too watery. Libido is good.. I am glad because there was a moment, I was under a lot of stress, I couldn't even get it up even naughty videos :p that made me stress even more LOL.

Kuit

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am 27 years old dude, have been on minoxidil alone for 6 months but now have been doing the regime of big 3 for 3 months.

Why the sudden urge to post?

I was cleaning up my facebook photos yesterday and saw my old photos. I have always had problem with thinning crown but OK thickness hair overall and used minoxidil for 6 months with no significant results.

At first, I was abit worried with the side effects that finasteride has, but I made up my mind and get it anyway.

Now on my third month, 5mg finasteride (divided into 4), I just realized it is even worst now. Hence why I thought, it would make me feel better to share my story with you here. I guess we are all about the same age, similar problem, similar shedding, similar period of finasteride usage.

6 months ago, i still found comfort in buzzed hair to AT LEAST give the impression that "Meh, I just cut my hair short, i am not balding" look. Sadly, it has come to an end, it does look like I am thinning all over the top.

Is it the shedding phase? I do not know, I do not see a significant hair on my pillow, in the bathroom.

Its an uphill battle. But at least, I get to share this story with you guys and if we think about it, hairloss problem is nothing compared to hardships other people might experience right now.

Cheers mates

Did you discontinued minoxidil? You can't ever quit minoxidil or all the 'saved' hairs will shed.

gkos2

Reaction score
Did you discontinued minoxidil? You can't ever quit minoxidil or all the 'saved' hairs will shed.

No I didn't, at first I only used minoxidil for 6 months but now I am taking finasteride as well as minoxidil, been 2 months

goingon24

Reaction score
Im a very fast responder to both finasteride and minoxidil and it took 3 months for my hair to stop shedding but when it did it stopped almost completely. That's about all I can give atm.

kirk

Established Member
Reaction score
Good thread. I am about 3 months in on finasteride with no negative side effects except im shedding like I never imagined. This is not in my head. I am very conservative about making such claims, but something is causing me to get really thin on top and at the temples.

I am worried because I am experiencing a sustained increase in libido since starting finasteride. The libido increase started about two weeks in and has lasted. Ive heard there is a peak in testosterone in the early stages of the medicine, but has anyone experienced a long term increase in libido? If so, is it good or bad in terms of hair loss? Im confused.

Thanks for reading.

Things have stabilized since I posted this. February makes 8 months on finasteride, and all is well.

Boomer01

Established Member
Reaction score
Well it has been 14 months since starting finasteride (proscar) and I have yet to see any real results. I initially had a large shedding phase, which slowed back to normal, but I never did see a real decrease in shedding. I also didn't see any regrowth during the time. I think I am going to stop taking finasteride after my last couple pills and just go back to minoxidil only. I assume I shouldn't see much change after I quit since I didn't really see any growth during it.

adamb

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been on finasteride for about 4 months now. The first two months were incredible, I noticed my crown getting thicker and some baby hair in both temples. My regime at the time was Nizoral 3x a week and 1,25 mg finasteride daily. Right now I'm going through a massive shed, my crown is back to where it was when I started finasteride and the temples are even worse. Can't really make up my mind about restarting minoxidil, it makes my scalp itch and flake like crazy :/

I really hope this is temporary and I finally start growing my hair back...

capitan

Reaction score
Hey guys,

How is everyone's hair? Has the shedding or stopped, perhaps some regrowth?

Benjamin, Steve, Kirby, anyone who posted on this thread should get back here and update!

macamaca

Banned
Reaction score
I've been using minoxidil for about 2 months now and can see results. I used it previously for about 6 months and saw results also however stopped for some reason ( I know stupid lol)
However back on minoxidil 5% and regaining what I have lost. Works great for me.

Malin

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm 21 y/o, been taking propecia for 2+ years, minoxidil 1+ years. For the first year and a half everything was good, now my temples have gone to thrash (still crown is better than the starting point=

aj218

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I've been on finasteride for 3 months and man is my hair much thinner than when I started. The shedding has gotten really bad since the 3rd month. Before if I combed my hair i'd get maybe 3-5 hairs. Now it seems closer to 10-15. I hope this just means i'm responding and not just my male pattern baldness accelerating.

Benjamin36

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

How is everyone's hair? Has the shedding or stopped, perhaps some regrowth?

Benjamin, Steve, Kirby, anyone who posted on this thread should get back here and update!

My situation is the same. I haven't returned to baseline, but I don't think my hair has become worse since the first time I noticed my hair thinning after starting finasteride.

rerun

Established Member
Reaction score
My situation is the same. I haven't returned to baseline, but I don't think my hair has become worse since the first time I noticed my hair thinning after starting finasteride.

How long have you been on Finasteride?

I've been on it for about 2.5 years and have had a slow recovery. It's still not back to baseline either, but I want to be optimistic.

jom

Reaction score

I've been on finasteride for about 6 weeks and am noticing significant shedding. The reason I started finasteride though is because my hair was starting to fall out at an alarming rate in the first place so it's difficult to tell whether it has accelerated the process or not. I feel like I'm thinning in areas I hadn't been but I guess we'll never know how it would have progressed had I not got on finasteride. No point in beating ourselves up over decisions that have been made anyway!

I am also experiencing significant miniaturization particularly in the front. I am thinning a lot now in the front middle and hair comes out just from light touching when I get out of the shower. Hair looks terrible when wet which sucks because it puts me off doing things I love like swimming. Still looks reasonable when dry but for how long more I don't know. I've come too far to give up on finasteride at this stage so am going to stick with it. Sometimes I feel like just shaving it all off to get it over with as seeing the hairs falling out is distressing.

I would have sworn before that I wouldn't dream a getting a TP but it's possibly something I would consider now. Unlikely though.

First time poster and just felt like sharing with somebody other than my mother/brother!

aj218

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on finasteride for about 6 weeks and am noticing significant shedding. The reason I started finasteride though is because my hair was starting to fall out at an alarming rate in the first place so it's difficult to tell whether it has accelerated the process or not. I feel like I'm thinning in areas I hadn't been but I guess we'll never know how it would have progressed had I not got on finasteride. No point in beating ourselves up over decisions that have been made anyway!

I am also experiencing significant miniaturization particularly in the front. I am thinning a lot now in the front middle and hair comes out just from light touching when I get out of the shower. Hair looks terrible when wet which sucks because it puts me off doing things I love like swimming. Still looks reasonable when dry but for how long more I don't know. I've come too far to give up on finasteride at this stage so am going to stick with it. Sometimes I feel like just shaving it all off to get it over with as seeing the hairs falling out is distressing.

I would have sworn before that I wouldn't dream a getting a TP but it's possibly something I would consider now. Unlikely though.

First time poster and just felt like sharing with somebody other than my mother/brother!
Bro it's like we're the same. My only reason for getting on to finasteride was so that I could sort out the accelerated hair fall only to be met by even more shedding. It's like rubbing salt on to a wound. I hope we do see some light at the end of the tunnel. I did start seeing some hairs growing across my scalp, albiet on the thin side, around the 3 month mark, i just hope this is a sign it's working. I'm still shedding like a dog though.

Benjamin36

Established Member
Reaction score
How long have you been on Finasteride?

I've been on it for about 2.5 years and have had a slow recovery. It's still not back to baseline either, but I want to be optimistic.
I started February 2012, so it has been some time. The only reason I'm still on it is because I went to see my doctor after realizing that my hair was thinner and he basically said that for all we know if it wasn't for the finasteride it could be much worse. I'm still hoping for a recovery, but if my hair doesn't get any worse, I'll take that too.

rerun

Established Member
Reaction score
I started February 2012, so it has been some time. The only reason I'm still on it is because I went to see my doctor after realizing that my hair was thinner and he basically said that for all we know if it wasn't for the finasteride it could be much worse. I'm still hoping for a recovery, but if my hair doesn't get any worse, I'll take that too.

Yeah, we'll never really know whether or not it would be worse without Finasteride.

I hope that we're both just slow responders.

maher

Banned
Reaction score
What if DHT is responsible for hair loss on the top/vertex and T or(and) E in the front??there are probably subtypes of male pattern baldness.