Is finasteride making me lose hair?

Townes

Reaction score
Hello, I'm in a pretty bleak situation right now. I had very minimal hairloss at the hairline and I started finasteride last May. It's about 9 months since I've been on it and things are getting worse. My hairline is absolutely deteriorating. Not only in the temples where there was always small miniaturization but also in the forelock, right at the center of my hairline. My hairline has never been this bad and I'm afraid it's going to be completely gone in a matter of months as hairs seem to be continuously miniaturizing. I am contemplating stopping finasteride tomorrow as I believe it is causing my hair loss. I have legitmate, prescribed finasteride. I have experienced a decrease in libido and I can hardly get an erection.

Please, I could really use some support and advice right now.

Tyler_Durden

Established Member
Reaction score
No.

abcdefg

Reaction score
If anyone tells you its impossible for propecia to increase your hair loss they are wrong. Testosterone in large amounts causes hair loss also not just DHT we all know male pattern baldness is far more complex then we understand so far. Its certainly possible in rare cases propecia could make it worse. The main risk with propecia is if something goes wrong no one can fix hormonal problems easily there is just no magic medication to revert all the hormones and pathways back to what they originally were before you took it if somehow it never goes back to normal.
My advice is take pictures there is no reason you would not since your trying to save hair. Second go back to doctor or whoever prescribed that and talk to them or a dermatologist that knows about hair. Then maybe get your hormone levels checked and see what they say.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
abcdefg said:
If anyone tells you its impossible for propecia to increase your hair loss they are wrong. Testosterone in large amounts causes hair loss also not just DHT we all know male pattern baldness is far more complex then we understand so far. Its certainly possible in rare cases propecia could make it worse.

Leaving scalp hair follicles exposed to testosterone instead of the _much_ more powerful DHT would always appear to me to be something to be greatly desired. People on hairloss sites like this have always had the theory that finasteride and dutasteride can somehow contribute to hair loss, but I've never seen any sense in it.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Bryan said:
abcdefg said:
If anyone tells you its impossible for propecia to increase your hair loss they are wrong. Testosterone in large amounts causes hair loss also not just DHT we all know male pattern baldness is far more complex then we understand so far. Its certainly possible in rare cases propecia could make it worse.

Leaving scalp hair follicles exposed to testosterone instead of the _much_ more powerful DHT would always appear to me to be something to be greatly desired. People on hairloss sites like this have always had the theory that finasteride and dutasteride can somehow contribute to hair loss, but I've never seen any sense in it.

True, but there are a lot of unknowns in all of this which is the big factor preventing me from trying propecia. In theory yes propecia should always help, but we all know those unknowns are there so unexplainable things can happen in rare cases.

Townes

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I'm hoping this may be a temporary shed as I am losing hair ALL over my head, in places where it has never been a problem. This is the first time I've been able to see my scalp on the top, and I only started taking finasteride because of receding temples. I did not start shedding hair until a few weeks ago - is a shed at 9 months normal? Will the hair grow back in time if I stay on finasteride or should I hope off it and hope to get the hair back that I've lost?

Thanks again for the advice, we all know how anxiety inducing this situation can be.