Is finasteride just a "delay" ?

SE-freak

Reaction score
I have read many posts mentioning that propecia works for only 5-6 years. Is that true? Post your own experience or links to articles.

thank you.

jayC99

Established Member
Reaction score
It's a proven fact that propecia gradually begins to lose its efficacy after 2 years.

mark16v

Established Member
Reaction score
so lets say propecia does it's job. would your hair then continue to fall out at the same pace afterwoods? could you have a good 10/15 years of fairly thick hair, after you have stopped taking it?

i'm interested in what happens, when you decide to stop taking it. IE would there be no point to take it if say you have been taking it for a good ten years, it wouldn't do anything?

SE-freak

Reaction score
jaygtyj said:
It's a proven fact that propecia gradually begins to lose its efficacy after 2 years.

can you elaborate on this? I am not interested in a two year delay.
All these talk about people being able to keep their hair for at least 8 years is faulse? hairloss talk video webcasts say otherwise. What is going on? is it just a market lie?

Cornholio

Established Member
Reaction score
hair counts increase on average for a couple of years and then decline gradually. at five years hair counts are decreasing but still above the starting point for most men... they are better off than they started on average. the group that never took finasteride has lost hair for 5 years and is worse off than at the start. if you took finasteride for 5 years and quit it, then within 6-12 months you would lose hair to the point that, on average, you would be similar to those who never took it. so, you've stopped the clock (mostly) for 5 years. after the 5 years there are no long term studies to allow you to know if the slow loss will continue (probably) at a rate greater than, similar to or less than normal pattern baldness... the propecia is working, but longer term studies dont exist to say how well it works... from the boards and from my own experience i had about 4-5 years of delay. when i noticed new thinning i added new treatments.. will they help or make a difference? i dont know. is it possible to delay male pattern baldness for decades with all available treatments? i dont know, as nobody studies this... all you can do is try. some report success long term, but everybody's tendency to male pattern baldness is different.

G

jaygtyj said:

howabout pointing to some evidence. That's a pretty ambiguous statement.

Does this mean that after two years you will be in the position you would have been if you never took it?

Does it mean that after two years you have done all the regrowth and it's just maintinance?

Or does it mean something else.

Writing - 'It's a proven fact' or 'It's a well known fact' does not validate a statement without and data.

SE-freak

Reaction score
I have a very thin vertex(its full of hairs-some terminal, some intermediate, lots of vellus) and I have been very stable for the last 6 years. My hairline has not moved a bit and my overall density(beside vertex) is great. I am considering propecia for regrowth as a pro-step to a possible transplant. In case finasteride's results are temporary then It could be risky to do a transplant based in temporary growth. What would you advise me to do?

I have to fill that crown.

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
coldcrush said:
Does this mean that after two years you will be in the position you would have been if you never took it?

Does it mean that after two years you have done all the regrowth and it's just maintinance?

Or does it mean something else.

Coldcrush, here is a graph I put together last year with input from Bryan, Cassin and some of the other lumanaries here on HairLossTalk.com.

http://img12.exs.cx/img12/3158/MINOXPAUSE.gif

SE-freak

Reaction score
so topical minoxidil grows more hair than propecia?

I thought that possibilities of regrowth were better on finasteride.

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bon said:

the plots on the graph are very simplified and only topologically correct.

finasteride is not a growth stimulant, minoxidil is a growth stimulant.

fallout

Reaction score
delaying male pattern baldness

treatments must be maintained to delay full onslaught or promote growth.
benefits are lost if you stop or when the efficacy of products diminshes.
Ive been treating male pattern baldness since 1978; my experience is that things work for 5-6 years.

G

tynan..

I like the graph. It would be great if we could a really comprehensive study done involving finasteride, dutasteride and minoxidil but we ave to go on what we have.

I hope that using the big 2 does keep you that far ahead of the game. I am about 14 months into finasteride and 2.5 years into minoxidil. I think I am in a batter state than a year ago. Sometimes I wish I started finasteride earlier, but since my hair seems to be doing OK I don't worry about that too much - weird considering how much I usually regret past decisions.

Fallout - what treatments have you used since 78? what could you do back then?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Bon said:

There's a number of ifs, ands, and buts associated with that issue! :)

The evidence seems to indicate that topical minoxidil increases haircounts and hairweights better than Propecia PER UNIT AREA OF SCALP where it's actually applied, but not on the scalp as a whole. That's probably because minoxidil is generally applied to a smaller, thinning area of scalp, whereas Propecia obviously affects the entire scalp as a whole.

Furthermore, minoxidil apparently doesn't interfere with the fundamental balding process, so any visible regrowth is undoubtedly only temporary. Those effects usually peak after a year or so, and then start to decline in lock step with the balding process. It just gives you an "offset" of extra growth above what you'd otherwise have. Therefore, it seems inevitable that Propecia will eventually overtake and surpass minoxidil as time goes by, because finasteride _does_ interfere with the fundamental balding process (at least to some extent).

Bryan

j25

Established Member
Reaction score
Once again: there's no reason AT ALL to assume that propecia 'loses its effectiveness' after - on average - four or five years.. What in fact happens is that male pattern baldness has the nasty tendency to accelerate, most probably due to the ever increasing sensitivity of hair follicles to DHT. Propecia doesn't stop to reduce scalp DHT, but the remaining DHT simply becomes more and more damaging.
In order to counter this development, one can either switch to a stonger DHT-inhibitor (dutasteride) or put his money on topicals like fluridil and spironolactone.

md2002

Established Member
Reaction score
Cornholio said:
hair counts increase on average for a couple of years and then decline gradually. at five years hair counts are decreasing but still above the starting point for most men... they are better off than they started on average. the group that never took finasteride has lost hair for 5 years and is worse off than at the start. if you took finasteride for 5 years and quit it, then within 6-12 months you would lose hair to the point that, on average, you would be similar to those who never took it. so, you've stopped the clock (mostly) for 5 years. after the 5 years there are no long term studies to allow you to know if the slow loss will continue (probably) at a rate greater than, similar to or less than normal pattern baldness... the propecia is working, but longer term studies dont exist to say how well it works... from the boards and from my own experience i had about 4-5 years of delay. when i noticed new thinning i added new treatments.. will they help or make a difference? i dont know. is it possible to delay male pattern baldness for decades with all available treatments? i dont know, as nobody studies this... all you can do is try. some report success long term, but everybody's tendency to male pattern baldness is different.

Hey Cornholio -

What treatments did you start, and what do you think worked best. I only ask because I have been on Propecia for 5-6 years and have noticed that my hair is getting thinner. Sounds like you are in the same boat. Maybe you would have suggestions as to what would work best. I have switched to a 1/4 pill Proscar every other day since I noticed this. Also, are you still taking it? Or did you stop and just go with Topicals?

mark16v

Established Member
Reaction score
why did you cut down your dosage of Propecia, if you are now starting to thin I would have thought that you would start taking more!

i'm unsure if I should be starting on 0.5mg or 1mg.

if I took 1mg, would I see better results after a year?