Is Finasteride Basically The Only Option?

Jtay151

Reaction score
my hair is receeding at the temples at 22 years old and from all my research on this fourm it seems finasteride is the only option to stop hairloss. Rogaine seems to just be a temporary solution and all the natural remedies seem like they don't work.

Only thing is it seems like a lot of people who take finasteride experience pretty gnarly sides.
Thinking about starting at .5mg daily.

Why does no one use topical finasteride?

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
In terms of being the most cost effective and FDA approved option, yes. You could always try experimentals like RU, however they are very expensive and sometimes come from ~~~questionable~~~~ sources. I highly recommend giving Finasteride a shot first.

Jtay151

Reaction score
Probably gonna give finasteride a shot. If I start experiencing sides, should I quit and accept the inevitable?

biddybomb

Experienced Member
Reaction score
if you get sides, power through it for at least a month to see if they subside, I honestly doubt you will have any bad sides, despite the vocal minority it is actually rare.

Jtay151

Reaction score
if you get sides, power through it for at least a month to see if they subside, I honestly doubt you will have any bad sides, despite the vocal minority it is actually rare.
Yeah I guess it seems like it happens often because of this fourm. People who don't have sides probably don't post here

Sokubo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think Minoxidil is a crucial component for gains (which finasteride tends not to help tremendously with), because you won't have all the DHT, your minoxidil gains ought to stick around. So try the big two in those.

I would say the best way to beat hairloss is Minoxidil + Finasteride + hair transplant to top things off. I would argue you can't have one without the others.

horunger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
dutasteride is the only alternative to finasteride, and several people regret not starting dutasteride earlier, but this FDA approval of finasteride is a big deal too many. Does it help if i say that some countries, for example Sweden and Norway, has revoked the approval of finasteride for hairloss treatment? The main argument against dutasteride is that its too strong so the sceptics assume better effect is a bad thing, but effect is exactly what we want.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
At present, finasteride and dutasteride are the only option for halting the hairloss, but the side effect rate does appear to be somewhat higher than what was originally stated. As I recall, the FDA updated the bottle last year to include mention of sexual side effects.

The FIDIA lotion and Breezula seem to be the only probable alternatives in the near future. The former allegedly coming out next year. It was also recently discovered that white mangrove extract is an 5ar inhibitor, but it does not exist in a consumer format trialed for this purpose and I personally would not trust "black market" drugs.

I would take finasteride and if it gives you side effects, stop taking it.

horunger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dont stop at once if youre having sides on fina, for me it got better. dutasteride is also shown to have diminishing sides if continued but of course you have to stop if you get serious persistent sides, buy a wig instead if that happens.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
my hair is receeding at the temples at 22 years old and from all my research on this fourm it seems finasteride is the only option to stop hairloss. Rogaine seems to just be a temporary solution and all the natural remedies seem like they don't work.

Only thing is it seems like a lot of people who take finasteride experience pretty gnarly sides.
Thinking about starting at .5mg daily.

Why does no one use topical finasteride?

Sounds like you've done enough research that you've answered your own question!

dunno

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Does it help if i say that some countries, for example Sweden and Norway, has revoked the approval of finasteride for hairloss treatment?

When did this happen? *runs and renews prescription*

lifewirecg

My Regimen
Reaction score
dutasteride is the only alternative to finasteride, and several people regret not starting dutasteride earlier, but this FDA approval of finasteride is a big deal too many. Does it help if i say that some countries, for example Sweden and Norway, has revoked the approval of finasteride for hairloss treatment? The main argument against dutasteride is that its too strong so the sceptics assume better effect is a bad thing, but effect is exactly what we want.

Lol if you think lotion is going to cure hairloss, male pattern baldness is a genetic issue that your body is preprogrammed to lose. If there is going to be a cure, it's going to be something far more serious and drastic than a cream or lotion. We are talking about DNA replication or another pill more effective than finasteride hopefully with less sides.

If FIDIA does come out and works as intended than we are looking at minoxidil 2.0 and nothing more.

Last edited:

lifewirecg

My Regimen
Reaction score
The best way to stop this hairloss gene is to study the gene more and figure out how you can alter it or completly remove it starting from birth, as of now, if you have it than you more than likely going to be taking a pill for the rest of your life or just go bald.

Jtay151

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Yeah I did a good amount of research I guess I'm just looking for reassurance lol you know how it goes.

I'll see what my derm says and probably do finasteride/min. I'm in the early stages of thinning so hopefully I can stop it from continuing without bad sides. I pray there's no sides. Nothing's worth your dick not working. I've heard the early you catch it the better chances.

I wouldn't really care if this was happening later in life. It's the fact I'm a 22yo bachelor, so it's pretty devestating to the ego.

Jtay151

Reaction score
I think Minoxidil is a crucial component for gains (which finasteride tends not to help tremendously with), because you won't have all the DHT, your minoxidil gains ought to stick around. So try the big two in those.

I would say the best way to beat hairloss is Minoxidil + Finasteride + hair transplant to top things off. I would argue you can't have one without the others.

For sure. My dad suggested I do minoxidil to gain my temples back. They are only thinned about the radius of a quarter so it's not completely bald there. I would definitely consider a hair transplant in a couple years if meds don't work. That practice only seems to get better every year. I mean look at lebrons hair

abcdefg

Reaction score
Everything is a temporary solution, but life itself is just temporary so does it matter? Propecia is easily the best option that exists today so if you want to treat male pattern baldness you need to try it.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
horunger what s your current regimen ? dutasteride only ? you didnt have side? and what Norwood are you?