Is dutasteride Just Hype? Studies Say It's Superior To finasteride, But This Is At 2.5 Mg Everyday.

NSix

Established Member
Reaction score
https://sci-hub.tw/10.1016/j.jaad.2006.05.007

See the above study.

In their hair assessments, 0.5 mg dutasteride versus 5 mg finasteride (5 mg finasteride is comparable to 1 mg finasteride: just Google the dose-response curve) showed little difference.

They concluded that the 2.5 mg dose of dutasteride was significantly better.

But most people use only 0.5 mg dutasteride per day.

The study also states that 0.5 mg of dutasteride increases scalp T by 99% and 2.5 mg of dutasteride increases it by 222%.

Whereas, 5 mg finasteride only increases scalp T by 23%.

Finasteride has more variability though. There's a variation of roughly 20%. Whereas dutasteride has a variation of like 2%. dutasteride is more consistent.

But it seems like 0.5 mg is not as good and the perception we have of dutasteride is based on the 2.5 mg dose (which most people do not even use, unless they may be transitioning).

stejames

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
it doesnt seem to show people decreasing from dutasteride from what I read.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The 2.5mg dose of dutasteride regrew slightly more hair than the 0.5mg dose in the study that was done, but that was only because the higher dose built up to a steady state in the system much more quickly. The trial only lasted six months, and between months three and six, hair counts from the 0.5mg dutasteride dose started catching up, and had almost completely caught up after six months. Had the study gone on longer, there would likely have ended up being virtually no difference in hair counts.

There's no doubt at all that dutasteride is more effective than finasteride, and as you say, dutasteride has a lot less variation than finasteride regarding the amount of DHT it inhibits between different people.

Last edited:

Mr White

Established Member
Reaction score
After +20 years of daily use, finasteride stopped working and I had to quit. I've been on dutasteride 0.5 mg for a month and I'm already seeing results: no more shedding, hair looks thicker and healthier. There's no way I'm going to increase the dosage, I'm terrified of possible side effects.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think increasing the dosage only inhibits more type 1 5ar i think. Dutasteride i feel at 0.5mg is superior but of course comes with greater chance of sides.

stejames

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
After +20 years of daily use, finasteride stopped working and I had to quit. I've been on dutasteride 0.5 mg for a month and I'm already seeing results: no more shedding, hair looks thicker and healthier. There's no way I'm going to increase the dosage, I'm terrified of possible side effects.
are you everyday , eod?

vr_the_doctor

My Regimen
Reaction score
hi guys,

how do you get dutasteride prescriptions? it is not prescribed for hair loss in US , so how do you get them?